Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Compensation for route cancellation and schedule change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Not sure if this is the right place -

What happens when a route is cancelled, and they rebook 5 hrs earlier?

I expect that I can adjust that without penalty, to find a “less bad” option. But can we get any other compensations a la IDB? Rebooking on another carrier, (hotel), nice cheque?

(I highly doubt hotel is useful in his case, just asking for completeness)

Particular flight is AC8217 in May YVR-YXC but we are originating in YYJ. Alternative could take PCA YYJ-YVR-YXC or sometimes YYJ-YLW-YXC, or WS YYJ-YYC-YXC. No more AC YYJ-YYC-YXC option either. The early flight they rebooked us on does not work at all, and the late one (scheduled arrive ~7pm) is not great either as we will be traveling with an infant and incurs longer layovers etc.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by eracerblue

I expect that I can adjust that without penalty, to find a “less bad” option. But can we get any other compensations a la IDB? Rebooking on another carrier, (hotel), nice cheque?

Particular flight is AC8217 in May YVR-YXC but we are originating in YYJ. Alternative could take PCA YYJ-YVR-YXC or sometimes YYJ-YLW-YXC, or WS YYJ-YYC-YXC. No more AC YYJ-YYC-YXC option either. The early flight they rebooked us on does not work at all, and the late one (scheduled arrive ~7pm) is not great either as we will be traveling with an infant and incurs longer layovers etc.
You're not being denied boarding, so not sure why you would think you could get denied boarding compensation. You can get a reschedule that better suits your timing, or a refund, but no additional compensation would be given, or warranted. If your new schedule involves an overnight connection, then perhaps you can get a hotel paid for, but otherwise no.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS

I tried to get compensation by calling and emailing. Obviously they did not want to give me a cheque. I thought about going through small claims, but it did not seem worth it due to the time. I ended up asking to be rebooked a day earlier, and they refused. At the end of the day, I received a refund for the ticket.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

This is not an IDB situation.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Please note that these posts have been moved out of a thread regarding IDB/VDB as a route cancellation and resulting schedule change falls into a different category.

tcook052
AC forum mod.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:29 pm

Your options are to re-book at a better time (this would be free for you), or to get a refund and you can book with another carrier. Not sure what day in May you're flying, I just did a look-up for YYJ-YXC on Sat May 11 and a few reasonable options come up. Looks like AC has replaced several DH1/3 flights with 2 daily Q400. There is also no longer service YYC-YXC.

AC8070-AC8219 departing 15:05, 1:01 layover in YVR and arriving at 18:49.

Not sure why the morning doesn't work but there is also AC8050-AC8215 departing at 07:00 arriving at 11:09.

Without knowing the exact date, it is hard to help. Note that if a better AC option exists, you should be able to ask for it (if there is a better option). With the high frequency on YYJ-YVR I find it hard to believe that you'd be forced into a long layover. As long as there are seats available, you should be able to book it - even if only Latitude is left and you originally bought Basic/Standard/etc.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
I tried to get compensation by calling and emailing. Obviously they did not want to give me a cheque. I thought about going through small claims, but it did not seem worth it due to the time. I ended up asking to be rebooked a day earlier, and they refused. At the end of the day, I received a refund for the ticket.
Small Claims? Would never work. You got a refund..that's it.

You know I am all for good customer service and AC could definitely improve, but I just find it amazing that people want to be comped and credited for every thing these days. I mean do you sue the grocery store if they run out of your favourite product?
Collierkr likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Remember, the contract only promises to get you there, not when or how. So there is zero rationale for compensation. This is not like Italian trains.
californiadreamin' likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.