Wiki Posts
Search

Realistic Connection Time @ JFK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Realistic Connection Time @ JFK

Hi

What are the views on a reasonable connection time at JFK in the early afternoon for a BA (Terminal 7) flight to a domestic AA (Terminal 8) flight on separate tickets - assuming that the incoming will be broadly on time ? Does 3 hours sound ok ?

Last edited by petez; Mar 18, 2019 at 8:04 am Reason: .
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Do you have Global Entry? Do you have checked luggage? What class of service are you flying in? On separate tickets this would be too close for me. Depending on when you come in (exactly) the wait can be ok, or you could be at the back of another wide body that has just unloaded three hundred people.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:13 am
Original Poster

No GE, travelling in Y and will have checked bag

Last edited by petez; Mar 18, 2019 at 8:13 am Reason: .
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:14 am
Suspended

On separate tickets I wouldn't attempt this, though AA may just stick you on the next flight to wherever you are going. But I suppose I would need to know where you are going after. If it is LAX, I'd be a bit more concerned than if it was PHL or ORD.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by petez
No GE, travelling in Y and will have checked bag
I would allow at least 4-5 hours since you will be self-connecting, and your connection will not be protected by a single ticket. AA does protect passengers from other OW carriers but it may be a case of there being no free seats on the later flight if you miss the original flight.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:26 am

I would be happy with 2.5 hours personally, but that is with GE.

Without GE, 3 hours is adequate. T7 to T8 is easy on the AirTrain and it is relatively frequent. Early afternoon is when JFK is at its quietest.

Of course, opinions will vary widely on this - from the very conservative to the reckless.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
What happens if you miss the connection and AA isn't willing to help (and this may simply due to the fact that later flights are full)? Are you OK to buy another, walk-up, ticket on AN Other Airline?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA is the only major carrier which offers protection across separate tickets so long as MCT is met as this is a OW-BA situation. BA will not, however, check OP's bags through and thus OP will need to take his bags to AA to check them in . If he has been a no show, he should have a paper print out of his BA e-ticket receipt for the AA agent.

Given the bit of logistical maneuvering here, I would allow an extra hour over a connection, so that I do not miss the AA bag drop deadline.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
You can add some actual data to this discussion via this link:

https://awt.cbp.gov/

Be sure to look at the days of the week and time of your proposed arrival and you can get a sense of how long it will take to clear Immigration at JFK Terminal 7.

Cheers,
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster

I have one later AA flight I can catch - its not a massive issue if I end up in NY for the night, just wanted some thoughts on what was a realistic connection time - based on the above I am going for 4 hour connection.

Many thanks for the observations
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
AA is the only major carrier which offers protection across separate tickets so long as MCT is met as this is a OW-BA situation. BA will not, however, check OP's bags through and thus OP will need to take his bags to AA to check them in . If he has been a no show, he should have a paper print out of his BA e-ticket receipt for the AA agent.

Given the bit of logistical maneuvering here, I would allow an extra hour over a connection, so that I do not miss the AA bag drop deadline.
Correct, but he'd have to wait for and collect his bag either way as it's the first port of entry.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Correct, but he'd have to wait for and collect his bag either way as it's the first port of entry.
There is, however, a significant difference on tight connections as opposed to what OP proposes, which is not a connection. On a connection, BA will tag bags to the final destination and all OP need do is drop the bag post CBP. No standing around waiting for an agent to free up. In this situation, presuming that OP is ontime, he should be able to obtain a bag tag from AA post CBP, but AA may require him to go to check in. If OP has no showed, he will need to go to the AA counters in any event, to be rebooked.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bosman
You can add some actual data to this discussion via this link:

https://awt.cbp.gov/

Cheers,
Thanks for this link - very interesting.

Slightly off topic but I can't believe the number of exclusions in the data set given the efforts made to ensure all travellers are eligible to fly, ESTA, etc
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
There is, however, a significant difference on tight connections as opposed to what OP proposes, which is not a connection. On a connection, BA will tag bags to the final destination and all OP need do is drop the bag post CBP. No standing around waiting for an agent to free up. In this situation, presuming that OP is ontime, he should be able to obtain a bag tag from AA post CBP, but AA may require him to go to check in. If OP has no showed, he will need to go to the AA counters in any event, to be rebooked.
Yes, correct. I have, in a similar situation at JFK, been able to drop the bag post-CBP on a separate ticket but with BP already on phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.