Wiki Posts
Search

Possible SEA weather waiver for Sunday/Monday

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Possible SEA weather waiver for Sunday/Monday

Nothing yet for this Sunday/Monday, but the forecast looks for some pretty serious snow in the Seattle area. Have a connection thru SEA Monday night to a redeye. Thinking about switching to an MSP connection if/when a waiver is posted. It sucks as I got my upgrade email at T-72 today.

Anyone go thru the snow a week or so ago connecting in SEA? If so, how did DL do?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Nothing yet for this Sunday/Monday, but the forecast looks for some pretty serious snow in the Seattle area. Have a connection thru SEA Monday night to a redeye. Thinking about switching to an MSP connection if/when a waiver is posted. It sucks as I got my upgrade email at T-72 today.

Anyone go thru the snow a week or so ago connecting in SEA? If so, how did DL do?
SEA performs poorly in snow. If you are on mainline, you'll probably get out. If you are flying on CP, you'll be cancelled. That airport simply can not handle snow.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
I wouldn’t worry about it too much. It’s been getting warmer in Seattle. The forecast models aren’t very accurate especially in this part of the country, even 2 or 3 days out.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I had to look at the date of your post thinking I was reading one from a week ago. My weather app shows nothing of the sort for this Sunday or Monday.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I’m mainline to mainline with a 2.5 hr connection. Just hate to get stuck in SEA overnight by missing the ATL red eye. Been there, done that.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Highly doubt it. Temps remain in the 40s so even if there's a rain/snow mix it won't stick. This won't require a weather waiver. And as we all know, SEA handles ops in rain just fine.

-RM
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Highly doubt it. Temps remain in the 40s so even if there's a rain/snow mix it won't stick. This won't require a weather waiver. And as we all know, SEA handles ops in rain just fine.

-RM
Unless there’s fog involved...
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Impacts to SEA last week seemed to take the form of mass regional cancellations the night before, with mainline flights operating albeit with significant delay. The airport did a better job than you’d expect at the actual snow removal, but deicing capacity was an issue. Multi-hour delays were common, with a few ground stops during the worst of the storms, but most people were able to get out within 24 hours of their original flight.

Here’s some discussion from yesterday on the snow probability from Cliff Mass, a respected if a bit hyperbolic local forecaster/professor: http://cliffmass.blogspot.com I’d recommend keeping an eye on his blog for further discussion as the storm details firm up; he was fairly accurate in the last round.

Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Coming from ANC you should be fine. Both your flights are mainline. What forecast are you looking at?

I live in Seattle and haven't heard of anything major in the forecast for the city/airport next week. We've been above freezing for a while now since the big snow(s) almost 2 weeks ago, so any accumulation should melt rather quickly.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by 13thandseven
Coming from ANC you should be fine. Both your flights are mainline. What forecast are you looking at?

I live in Seattle and haven't heard of anything major in the forecast for the city/airport next week. We've been above freezing for a while now since the big snow(s) almost 2 weeks ago, so any accumulation should melt rather quickly.
Cliff Mass and National Weather Service have both mentioned the possibility of snow on Sunday night but one of the better forecast models (a European one) has actually been trending warmer and wetter.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
MSP is expecting snow all weekend, so, while MSP DOES do snow well, don't be surprised if there are delays and build in plenty of time.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

The warmer the better. Wunderground earlier today was showing 5-6” which alarmed me. Weather Channel was around 2” I think.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Seattle weather - and Sea-Tac's handling of weather - isn't unique to Delta. I'm told there's another carrier with about 50% more departures from SEA, in fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.