Search

Y-->J Exchange Fee

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Y-->J Exchange Fee

Well, actually Q-->I to be specific.

To comply with work policy, I have to book in economy, but we can pay for upgrades out of pocket. The process to be followed will result in the ticket being created and then immediately exchanged for a business class one. Since this booking is on BA this change will incur a $275 exchange fee.

Given I have to work through the TA, I am guessing there is no way around this, but just in case I will go ahead and ask. Is there any way BA could be induced to waive or refund this fee, since it is happening essentially immediately and I am afterall giving them more money as a result of this transaction?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is almost certainly a TA fee or perhaps process rather than BA, in that the TA can simply ticket after your second payment.

If it was booked on BA.com direct then yes you can change for the direct fare difference and no change fees for the first 24 hours, but travel agencies are allowed to set their own rules. Either way, BA can't interfere with the TA booking, with the notable exception of a UuA booking on 125 ticketing and BA marketed throughout. Or if you were within 24 hours of departure.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This sounds like a revenue-generating exercise by the TA. Have to wonder whether the employer knows that its TA is doing this.

A more enlightened approach is either for the TA to agree to a small administrative fee for this service or for a more enlightened employer to permit employees to keep a personal card on file and have the TA direct-issue the desired ticket, charge the corporate account for the allowable fare and the balance to the personal card.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Why should BA pay for the silly agreement between your employed and the TA? It is perfectly possible for companies to request a corporate TA to provide a confirmed quote of the Y ticket and book in J with the company paying the Y cost and the employee paying the difference (with or without the booking fee being charged twice). Instead, the company is allowing the CTA to pocket a hefty and entirely unnecessary profit. I would recommend lobbying your employer to ask that the procedure be changed or that they negotiate with the CTA to remove that fee.
etiene likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
USD275.00 is the BA change fee for Q class fares ex-USA, and there isn't anything in the rules that allows travel agents to waive the change fee within 24 hours. BA isn't likely to give the agent a waiver either.

Split payment might be an option, where only one ticket is ever issued, but that might depend on the travel agent's system capabilities.
orbitmic and Traveller 935 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:56 pm
Suspended

If the TA lacks the capability to split payment, there are TA's to be had which do have the capability. It is hardly sophisticated software, it is increasingly common for corporate TA's to do this as what amounts to a cost-free benefit an employer provides to its employees and, in this instance may even be simple ignorance.

Bear in mind that there are any number of businesses where the reason for any given business process is, "it has always been that way" and nobody can remember why.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
You guys are amazing as always! Interesting what you say about split payment as I was "told" BA couldn't do that. Let's see if I can persuade the TA that they may be able to do it.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SAS EB Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Gold, Accor Silver
I asked our corporate TA to do this very thing today. We book a flat rate, fully flexible economy fare (Y) valid to anywhere in Europe. I noticed an equivalent Club Europe (J) fare for c. £240 return more than the economy fare (working out as an excellent £60 per leg upgrade as I start in Edinburgh).

The TA initially said it would need to be booked and approved within my company and I could repay the difference to them directly. I knew that wouldn’t fly so I asked if there was any way I could pay the TA the fare difference without involving the company.

After consulting a manager, they agreed and charged the difference to my credit card. Everyone wins :-)

Hope you get the same result.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
One issue with booking with TAs is that if you make a change - however minor - they can add on their own fees as well as the airlines to any costs they can impose on you,

in this case may be just buy the ticket yourself and claim the the part your employer would pay via expenses but some employers may frown on that as well.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:21 pm
Suspended

That is perhaps the best idea, but it won't work for companies with corporate discounts or rebates. Additionally, CTA's often provide accounting support and feed expenses directly to a company's finance department without the need for intervening paperwork.

But, the split payment approach works well in that situation. Just a matter of forcing it.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sph77
I asked our corporate TA to do this very thing today. We book a flat rate, fully flexible economy fare (Y) valid to anywhere in Europe. I noticed an equivalent Club Europe (J) fare for c. £240 return more than the economy fare (working out as an excellent £60 per leg upgrade as I start in Edinburgh).

The TA initially said it would need to be booked and approved within my company and I could repay the difference to them directly. I knew that wouldn’t fly so I asked if there was any way I could pay the TA the fare difference without involving the company.

After consulting a manager, they agreed and charged the difference to my credit card. Everyone wins :-)

Hope you get the same result.
Where companies book a fully flex fare be a bit careful. You upgrade and fare becomes inflexible. If you need to change dates you might be the one having to pay the fees for a new tkt.

Your company chooses to pay a high fare for flex tkts, they could pay less for inflexible/semi-flex tkts. This is why many companies ban employees upgrading corp tkts.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
If the TA lacks the capability to split payment, there are TA's to be had which do have the capability.
I am not sure BA itself can do it. At least, the last time I asked a couple of years ago whether I could use 2 cards for the same ticket, it was a firm 'no.'
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I am not sure BA itself can do it. At least, the last time I asked a couple of years ago whether I could use 2 cards for the same ticket, it was a firm 'no.'
i have also found this when trying to book directly with BA. However, BA Holidays (for instance) let you make a deposit payment and pay balance later - and using a different card has never been an issue (it is ticketed straight away).
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
No, BA themselves doesn’t accept split payments in the same transaction. The TA might.
Anonba likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SAS EB Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Where companies book a fully flex fare be a bit careful. You upgrade and fare becomes inflexible. If you need to change dates you might be the one having to pay the fees for a new tkt.

Your company chooses to pay a high fare for flex tkts, they could pay less for inflexible/semi-flex tkts. This is why many companies ban employees upgrading corp tkts.
I checked first - fully flex Y to fully flex J, no restrictions on either. Happy days for me :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.