Wiki Posts
Search

PHX IROPS - which hotels does AA use?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
PHX IROPS - which hotels does AA use?

So a work colleague is en route to GEG. His inbound from DFW is two hours late owing to a mechanical. What hotels does AA use in PHX for overnight accommodations?

What else is AA likely to provide given that he'll get into GEG 15 hours late.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So a work colleague is en route to GEG. His inbound from DFW is two hours late owing to a mechanical. What hotels does AA use in PHX for overnight accommodations?

What else is AA likely to provide given that he'll get into GEG 15 hours late.
does your coworker have a credit card with delay insurance? If so, they can find a hotel and not even deal with the hotel from AA. My experience with AA hotels.... lets just say my insurance provides far better ones.

comp-wise, not sure. I'll leave that for FT to help
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
does your coworker have a credit card with delay insurance? If so, they can find a hotel and not even deal with the hotel from AA. My experience with AA hotels.... lets just say my insurance provides far better ones.

comp-wise, not sure. I'll leave that for FT to help
Unsure. Unfortunately, its one of our 1099 contractors. So, normal firm benefits don't apply....
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Agree that I prefer to find my own hotel and then file for reimbursement from AA. At least I know what I’m getting, I don’t waste time standing in line for a hotel voucher, or find out it’s merely a distressed rate and by the time I get there the property is full. Even when I thought I had a good rate always ask at front desk about a distressed rate. Many airport hotels have them and are easier to get for MX delays than WX as hotel is less likely to be near capacity.

Reimbursement rate is dependent on AA rates for a given locale. Last fall I missed a connection in DFW due to mechanical. Used a points and cash rate of $68 and was fully reimbursed.

RoyalFlush and E55 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
When I was on a mech delay in 2012 and 2013, respectively, AA booked me in the DFW Marriott and at the ORD Hilton. Non-elite.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Wow...They wanted to put him up in a two star hotel in Mesa. Not good.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I actually got stuck in PHX a few months ago and they gave me the Doubletree. It was perfectly fine for the 5-hour overnight and the shuttle came promptly when I called for it (I called as I was spending my $12 meal voucher on a juice & salad at the 24-hour Starbucks in the terminal).
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Wow that's terrible. I must have gotten a good agent or gotten lucky/EXP-lucky.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Pretty poor service AA...Pretty poor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...a_Arizona.html
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
In some cities AA does put people up in great hotels. I was on an oversold flight in HNL a few months ago and they gave me a voucher for the Hilton Hawaiian Villages.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Like any hub, I'd imagine AA has a number of Sky Harbor area hotels with a negotiated rate to overnight distressed pax at when OSO hits (off-schedule operations).

Specific properties probaly depends on a number of factors, least not being if one is proletarian status or Concierge Key.
Originally Posted by Segments
Agree that I prefer to find my own hotel and then file for reimbursement from AA. At least I know what I’m getting, I don’t waste time standing in line for a hotel voucher, or find out it’s merely a distressed rate and by the time I get there the property is full. Even when I thought I had a good rate always ask at front desk about a distressed rate. Many airport hotels have them and are easier to get for MX delays than WX as hotel is less likely to be near capacity.

Reimbursement rate is dependent on AA rates for a given locale. Last fall I missed a connection in DFW due to mechanical. Used a points and cash rate of $68 and was fully reimbursed.

This. Always seek out a published or distressed passenger rate. For Sky Harbor, I prefer the DoubleTree or Crowne Plaza. Both are easy to get to and have decent breakfast.

If you wind up with spare time, the DoubleTree is my preferred as it has a decent pool and nearby food (fast food, like Ruby Tuesday's). IIRC, the train goes right from terminal to nearby the Crowne, and from there, one can easily walk to the Tree.

Best luck to your colleague!
JDiver and E55 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The most important factor is what's available at the time the passenger shows up for accommodation vis-a-vis occupancy rates at the time.

Better safe than sorry. I presume that if the passenger is on business travel, the employer pays the reasonable costs of its employee's travel and then sorts insurance issues in the back office or simply absorbs the cost. Whatever the passenger's travel policy, I would find my own place and be done with it. The last thing I want to do is stand in line and AA does not have the simplified system used by DL at its major hubs such as ATL by which one can obtain rerouting, hotel & meal, all from a kiosk.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Hotels tend to be all over the map, I guess depending upon availability. Like crew it tends to be the luck of the draw. Usually in the case of long delay food vouchers will be provided which can be used not only at that airport but other airports as well. AA once gave me a voucher of $15 for lunch which I did not use as I ate in the AC at LAX. Upon arriving back at MIA I used the voucher to buy several bottles of water at Starbucks before I went out to meet my Uber.
JDiver, donotblink and E55 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Yes, I’ve also gotten some vouchers for crappy hotels a distance from the airport. Why I now book my own hotel. And with receipt AA has typically reimbursed for food up to value of voucher otherwise due.

For travel when not covered by business travel policy or insurance, then hotel points can be of good value. Especially those category capped certs that aren’t good for much beyond airport locations. And also book inflight rather than waiting until you land and find everything sold out.

Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I actually got stuck in PHX a few months ago and they gave me the Doubletree. It was perfectly fine for the 5-hour overnight and the shuttle came promptly when I called for it (I called as I was spending my $12 meal voucher on a juice & salad at the 24-hour Starbucks in the terminal).
There's probably a dozen Doubletree properties in metro Phoenix
If you mean the Doubletree Suites close to the airport, then I agree it is a good property. I've done a few mattress runs there, and they sometimes have decent, "park & fly," rates too. It has been a few years, but the Chinese Cultural Center used to be right behind the property; you could walk to great food in just a few minutes. The light rail isn't too far away either, if you want to go to downtown Phoenix or Tempe.

I agree that a 2 star property in Mesa isn't idea. Looking at Google Maps, it is a bit of a hike from PHX. But as someone else noted, depending when the pax arrived, the hotels closer in might have already been taken.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.