Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fake ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Fake ticket

Does this look like a fake ticket? An agent in LA is trying to sell an Emirates first class ticket to a friend.

Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
1000%

ETA:

- the fonts are overlappng and different.
- EK have not used this e-ticket design in many years
- Previous reports of fake tickets have looked the same
- It's an expensive ticket (maybe not, checking flight prices they are >15k one-way, 22k return, but even return the one-way base fare is $10k, so if the return was in Y total cost would still exceed $8k)
- The black text showing flight details appears to be in bullet points from Word, as if the fake ticket image was put in the document as a background image, and a faded box drawn over the previous details
- It's pixelated and shows JPEG compression artefacts
- There is a shorter connection with F available with EK512
- It has a ticket number, which if not yet sold/issued it should not have
- The taxes on this route are $866 for a one-way, the return is similar, and this includes over $800 of carrier-imposed surcharge, i.e. not tax but fees (total price implies only tax is excluded)
- A current one-way for 20 Feb on those flights is >$15,000
- There is no fare basis or fare construction
- It doesn't indicate the fare brand (Saver, Flex, Flex Plus) or the segment status (Waitlisted, Cancelled, Confirmed, Open, etc)
- The EK ticketing office in Los Angles is in El Segundo, not the address shown there, which is the airport address, the airport address on the EK website is however noted as Tom Bradley International, not a street number and name

Last edited by skywardhunter; Feb 19, 2019 at 1:13 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:02 pm

Stick booking ref with surname in EK site under manage and you will see if its an issued ticket or an agents ticket they have not issued. Either way the image looks fake
lazyme likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, guys! Have warned my friend to not deal with the agent.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can also look up many tickets on most airlines on the Saudia website. This checks for the ticket, not the reservation.
ElJudioErrante and lazyme like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:08 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
There are free tools online to read the barcode on the ticket, and the info there should match up with the written ticket details. If not, then it's definitely been altered.
It is possible to make a new barcode as well so that still is no guarantee against a fake ticket, only a lazy fake.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by bpe
There are free tools online to read the barcode on the ticket, and the info there should match up with the written ticket details. If not, then it's definitely been altered.
It is possible to make a new barcode as well so that still is no guarantee against a fake ticket, only a lazy fake.
The barcode will just show the ticket number, which if unaltered from the base ticket used for the fake will match. 2d-Barcodes like that are numeric
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Very known scam. Seen it on these forums alot where 'agents are selling tickets' from LHR and usa etc. Always fake.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:05 am

Another small detail; I think americans write February 20 2019 and not 20 February 2019.....or am I wrong?

Last edited by ZRHMD11; Feb 20, 2019 at 11:04 am
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by ZRHMD11
Another small detail; I think americans write February 20 2019 ans not 20 February 2019.....or am I wrong?
You're right but as it's a supposed EK ticket it is conceivable that the format would be British English. I think EK E-Tickets Worldwide have the same format (and always English)
ZRHMD11 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: EK-Gold, SPG, Amex
Someone mentioned the different font sizes and the font itself changing - EK themselves don't follow a standardized font/font size in the PDF copy that comes in by email. Doesn't look as bad as the one posted above but if it hadn't come from the EK email address, I'd have called it a fake.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by mannimagus
Someone mentioned the different font sizes and the font itself changing - EK themselves don't follow a standardized font/font size in the PDF copy that comes in by email. Doesn't look as bad as the one posted above but if it hadn't come from the EK email address, I'd have called it a fake.
The legit e-ticket has the EK Logo in white on a red square next to the Expo 2020 logo. The title of the document also days Ticket & Receipt, not e-ticket.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am struggling to determine why one would not simply pick up the phone and call EK with the ticket number and name. No need to play junior police inspector.
nancypants and der_saeufer like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Often1
I am struggling to determine why one would not simply pick up the phone and call EK with the ticket number and name. No need to play junior police inspector.
spoilsport 😉

(Also professor plum, in the library, with the candlestick)
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by itisme
Very known scam. Seen it on these forums alot where 'agents are selling tickets' from LHR and usa etc. Always fake.
https://www.fbi.gov/audio-repository...cam-i.mp3/view

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.