Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Has anyone encountered Non Refundable Points Stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone encountered Non Refundable Points Stay?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Non-Refundable Award?

I was reserving for the AC Bologna and say it was labeled

"Marriott Rewards Redemption, prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking"

whose rate details are:

"Marriott Rewards Redemption, prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking

Rewards Redemption Available Extra hotel charges (meals,etc.) will be added to your credit card.

Additional Information
For detailed information regarding property category level
and other Marriott Reward information please visit the
property online at www.marriott.com and click on Marriott
Rewards.
-ROOM ONLY RATE
-CANCEL POLICY 23 59 LOCAL TIME, 1 DAY BEFORE ARRIVAL
(UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED AT TIME OF BOOKING)
Holding Your Reservation
We will need a credit card prepayment to reserve your room.
We will need a credit card number to reserve your room.
This credit card will also be charged to purchase your points.
Cancelling Your Reservation
You may cancel your reservation for no charge until December 13, 2016.
Please note that we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline.
If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card.

This fee equals your room charge plus tax for all the nights of your reservation.

Modifying Your Reservation
Please note that a change in the length or dates of your reservation may result in a rate change"

This is for a stay in May. So what's up? Do they charge the cash night for a cancellation: Do they keep the points?

Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
I've seen this for special events before. Basically, if you cancel, you lose your points. I don't believe they should be attempting to charge your credit card if you cancel, though.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Thankfully, most properties don't realize this option.

Rasheed
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
I've seen this for special events before. Basically, if you cancel, you lose your points. I don't believe they should be attempting to charge your credit card if you cancel, though.
Be careful as I don't think this is entirely true. Never happen to me but all the warnings and language I've seen is that you are charged $$ for a no show. Not sure if you get your points back but one would hope so. Others?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I think there was a thread on this a few years back that went on for a while. It was up in the air on whether the points were taken or charges.

Did anyone notice in the OP that there's also a bit of a contradiction? First it says pre-paid, non-refundable after 24 hours of booking & then it says cancel time is 11:59pm the day before arrival.

Cheers.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Did anyone notice in the OP that there's also a bit of a contradiction? First it says pre-paid, non-refundable after 24 hours of booking & then it says cancel time is 11:59pm the day before arrival.
It does say "unless otherwise specified at time of booking", which I think would certainly apply in this case. Still lazy to leave that in the terms, though, as it could be confusing for many.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
Still lazy to leave that in the terms, though, as it could be confusing for many.
That was basically my point.

Cheers.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I am experiencing a similar situation (non-flexible cancellation terms) for a hotel that I want to book with points but my plans are not firm yet. I currently don't have enough points in my Marriott account for my desired reservation but I have plenty in my SPG account. What happens if I book without enough points and still do NOT have the points in my Marriott account by the check-in date ? Will they try to charge the card used as a guarantee for the reservation ? What if the card used for the guarantee is a prepaid card with only $5 in it ? Can the hotel have my Marriott account blocked ?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:35 pm

One wonders if we will suddenly see a surge in this. One way to offset the cases where members might prebook expecting the point values to change in their favor. Would stop folks from booking and cancelling when the final point values are known.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by xooz
One wonders if we will suddenly see a surge in this. One way to offset the cases where members might prebook expecting the point values to change in their favor. Would stop folks from booking and cancelling when the final point values are known.
A bit off-topic, but I'm definitely booking a bunch of Marriott and a few SPG properties to lock them in the hope points pricing goes down. Why do you defend Marriott ? They are optimizing their revenues so it is only fair that folks optimize their costs too.
volabam likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
A bit off-topic, but I'm definitely booking a bunch of Marriott and a few SPG properties to lock them in the hope points pricing goes down. Why do you defend Marriott ? They are optimizing their revenues so it is only fair that folks optimize their costs too.
Uhh.. not "defending" Marriott. Just suggesting that if the hotels know where they will land in the new categorizations, some may decide to go to non-refundable rewards to keep people from booking and cancelling when the inflation rate is known.The odds are rigged in their favor if they already know what the point values will be for their location.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by xooz
Uhh.. not "defending" Marriott. Just suggesting that if the hotels know where they will land in the new categorizations, some may decide to go to non-refundable rewards to keep people from booking and cancelling when the inflation rate is known.The odds are rigged in their favor if they already know what the point values will be for their location.
The non refundable reward booking policy for my case is being instituted because there is a special event in the destination city. I understand if the hotel institutes the non-flex policy for revenue bookings, but I believe points booking should always come with flexible cancellation terms.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:04 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone encountered Non Refundable Points Redemptions?

After hearing good things about the W Hong Kong I checked it out today for a possible points redemption in February 2020.

To my great surprise the rate description states that it is non-refundable 1 day after booking. I have never seen this at any Marriott hotel before. And it only appears on 2020 bookings.

I am hoping that this is just an IT glitch and not a policy change. Can one of the Lurkers confirm ?

Last edited by damon88; Feb 17, 2019 at 9:17 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I have seen it before Punta Islita Costa Rica.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:23 pm

Seems like the hotels that are increasing in category and price are having these restrictions. I haven’t checked all but at least for the JW Marriott Singapore it’s giving me the same non refundable for December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.