Wiki Posts
Search

BA777 missing (entirely) an F seat

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL
BA777 missing (entirely) an F seat

I flew LHR->DEL on what I believe was a 777-236ER on BA0257 on 7 Feb (apologies I have no subscription to find the tail number). My companion and I were in the centre of the back row of F in 4E and 4F. The seat that would have been 4K was however entirely missing. It's right in front of the crew rest area and the absence makes 4F rather a good seat in my view. The strange thing is that it seems a large enough area to put a full size first class seat in (comparing it to 4A), and if not that then surely it could have something else (e.g. some storage space). The overhead bin arrangement suggested the crew rest area was retrofitted (for instance the rearmost bin could not be opened as it overlapped the crew rest area wall). I am very surprised BA didn't manage to squeeze a seat in here. Anyone know the story here? The cabin crew said something along the lines of "we don't know why either - it's a terrible waste of space" - I suggested putting a bar there! Is it missing on every 777-236ER (Seatguru suggests not)?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
It applies on G-YMMG-P. There’s not enough space for seat 3K. The flight crew bunk area isn’t retrofitted. It’s always been there. Before ‘new First’ came along, the old seat and surroundings was slightly smaller and therefore there was a 3K.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I looked up your flight on thebasource which tells me you flew on G-YMML. PETER01 posted some photos of the cabin here: 12F
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by surryson
It applies on G-YMMG-P. There’s not enough space for seat 3K. The flight crew bunk area isn’t retrofitted. It’s always been there. Before ‘new First’ came along, the old seat and surroundings was slightly smaller and therefore there was a 3K.
3K was there on this flight. It was 4K that was missing.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think your memory is playing tricks on you.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup. This is a 12F 777 which have been around since New First was rolled out, 5+ years ago. All caused by BA retrofitting crew bunk access to planes originally ordered without. The access is just large enough to prevent the 13th F seat being fitted in the space where 3K would go.

it is only the Rolls Royce powered 4 class 777 in the G-YMMx series - the earlier GE planes and later 77W don’t suffer from this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by abligh
(apologies I have no subscription to find the tail number)
You don't need one.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by abligh
3K was there on this flight. It was 4K that was missing.
1K and 2K would have been there.

The gap you're referring to is where you'd have assumed 3K would be.

The crew rest area is where 4K would otherwise have been.

There are 3 rows of centre pairs of seats. Rows 1, 2 and 4 - row 3 is omitted for some reason and this may account for the confusion thinking 4K was missing.

As others have advised, it's just the 4 class YMM* 777's affected. The ZZZ* and VII* 777's do not have a crew rest area fitted in this space and there are 4x 'K' seats installed in their F cabins - each behind the other as you'd expect.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by charlieboy77
1K and 2K would have been there.

The gap you're referring to is where you'd have assumed 3K would be.

The crew rest area is where 4K would otherwise have been.

There are 3 rows of centre pairs of seats. Rows 1, 2 and 4 - row 3 is omitted for some reason and this may account for the confusion thinking 4K was missing.

As others have advised, it's just the 4 class YMM* 777's affected. The ZZZ* and VII* 777's do not have a crew rest area fitted in this space and there are 4x 'K' seats installed in their F cabins - each behind the other as you'd expect.
Ah thanks - this makes perfect sense
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:17 am

Here's a picture from a flight I took in 2006 - I'd not flown on a 12F 777 before and it intrigued me. It looked to me as if the crew area had been rather shoehorned in, as the seat number and overhead lockers remain there!

Crew compartment
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
It's a disarmingly large amount of empty space... it quite surprising they didn't want to shrink the F for just those birds to pop 3K in.
Old May 12, 2020, 5:20 am

By the looks of this, all the 12F planes will no longer have First Class. Some will have club suites and 1 will keep YingYang and move to gatiwck base.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Retron
Here's a picture from a flight I took in 2006
It may have been 2016, but it certainly wasn't 2006!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.