Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy - a brand explained

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Question Marriott Bonvoy - a brand explained

The creation of a new brand is not something any company undertakes lightly. While I was not privy to the actual creation of the name, I can certainly make an educated guess as to a thought process that would lead to what Marriott ended up with it.

As a hotel chain, what do we at Marriott represent (or want to represent) to our guests? First, it can be assumed that anyone using Marriott's services are not at home. They are, by definition, on some kind of a trip. Marriott wants to be associated with good feelings on that trip. What are some of the ways people indicate a desire for someone else to have a good trip? "Happy Trails"? Right track, but probably too casual - especially for some of the higher end brands. "Fare Well"? Nice sentiment, but not really specific to travel. "Bon Voyage"? Hmm... Definitely implies travel, not just going home. French - always good for a boost in implied status. Let's work with this.

Ok, so Bon Voyage is a bit generic - no trademark opportunity here, so what can we do to make it "ours"?
Easy fix - drop the space. One word "BonVoyage" might get us past the trademark folks, but it still doesn't feel right. Bon Voyage is still a bit old-fashioned, and we want to be newer. Hip. But not too trendy. We want this brand to be around for a long time. Ageless. Yeah, that's it. Age-less. Let's take the "age" out of BonVoy/age/.

Ok. BonVoy. Not a real word, so trademarking won't be a problem. Now, how to make it look. We do want to be modern, so a nice clean font will do. So let's try this out.
Hmm, good testing, but people are having trouble with the pronunciation. The second O is long, so we can indicate that. But let's be a bit creative, and put the bar under, rather than over, the O. Clean, accessible colors.
Ok, we're good. Release the legal and marketing Kraken.

Marriott Bonvoy is a Go for Launch!

Last edited by WoodyWindy; Feb 16, 2019 at 6:07 am Reason: typos
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:00 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Marriot is a perfect example of the reason not to fix what is not broken
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
There is a big difference between change for the sake of change, and something more deliberate like this. In this instance, Marriott was totally melding three distinct programs that each had their own brand and loyalty. Yes, they could have just said "suck it up - we're the big fish in this food chain, and you're all a part of me". Great for legacy MR folks, but not so much legacy Starwood and Ritz. Instead, they decided to start fresh, with a new name and image that didn't have any legacy baggage but could be equally "owned" by members from any of the constituent parts.

Personally, the program name (somewhat contrived as it is) is almost a don't-care state for me. The benefits are still good, and the IT and operational issues from the merger will eventually be dealt with. I deal with change management all of the time - there is no such thing as a change that will please everyone. Eventually this will become the steady state, and if they do their jobs, it will truly earn loyalty in its own right.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
NO, if they go with Marriott, they would need to do some "not your father's Oldsmobile" type advertising.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
New Côke 1985.
DenverBrian and KRSW like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
I liked it enough soon after it was announced. I think the people doing these things are smarter that some give them credit for. Sure a few old fuddy-duddy's will complain for a while. It doesn't really even have to be used much even. Marriott, Marriottt Titanium work.. Why do they even load the titles up with Marriott Bonvoy? Bonvoy should really be left off the titles unless the discussion is about the rewards program.
WoodyWindy likes this.

Last edited by kalo93406; Feb 16, 2019 at 10:05 am
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: DL DM
I come from the SPG camp at the Platinum level so may be biased...

I believe that the SPG program had value and rewarded loyalty. I take it as a given that Marriott’s program had value that its members appreciated.

In the combined program, I see my visits to hotels since the combination as not responsive to my status. I book a room and that’s all I get. No difference from any other non-elite member who booked the same room I did.

If all I’m getting is the exact room I booked, there is no reason to go with a chain versus a different one other than location (in relation to reason for my visit) & price for the room I’m booking.

What’s interesting on a couple of recent experiences is that I’ve booked suites (since that’s what I wanted to have). You’d think that would be the easiest way to go. On my last two occasions when I check in, they’ve tried to move me to traditional rooms. I had to push back but their explanations have been that their IT systems have been creating problems and continue to offer the suites for booking when they don’t have any left. Since mine had been booked rather than upgraded, I was able to get my bookings resolved.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I still dont understand why Marriott want to wish their guests a BonVoy-age
Hotel supposedly welcoming their gures I believe.
But name is not really important I guess.

Funny name aside, my main issue is the consistency and quality of elite benefit.

it seems like Marriott try to reduce the benefit offered by some of the hotels.
The recent case of The Prince Gallery Tokyo is said to reduce their lounge offering for plats and tits (and ambs)
While the t&c did say that The Luxury Collection brands does not offer lounge access, what The Prince Gallery did will leave a bad impression on the program.

Understandably, Marriott try to align their luxury offering to match RC offering.
But instead they improve RC offering, they actually go to the easiest path by reducing other luxury brands benefit.

Furthermore, very complicated and sometimes underwhelming benefit like breakfast on certain brands .... continental breakfast only or some limited options specially for elites
It seems like the plt elites who are spending at least 50 nights and up to ambs guests who have to spend at least $20k on top of 100 nights requirement is not valued highly by Marriott
(there are possibility this limited breakfast offering might happen back in SPG but I'm not very sure as my experience with SPG is quite limited)
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
The mere fact that the new name needs to be "explained" is proof that it is a failure.

How many potential guests do you think are going to sit around long enough to listen to your explanation?

Even Marriott Awesomeness, as stupid as it sounds, is self explanatory.
DenverBrian and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Originally Posted by kaizen7
I still dont understand why Marriott want to wish their guests a BonVoy-age
Hotel supposedly welcoming their gures I believe.
But name is not really important I guess.

it seems like Marriott try to reduce the benefit offered by some of the hotels.

Understandably, Marriott try to align their luxury offering to match RC offering.
But instead they improve RC offering, they actually go to the easiest path by reducing other luxury brands benefit.

Furthermore, very complicated and sometimes underwhelming benefit like breakfast on certain brands ....
bon vo·yage/ˌbän ˌvoiˈäZH/

exclamation
  1. used to express good wishes to someone about to go on a journey.
    "good luck and bon voyage!"
Good wishes or good luck. "good trip" is literal translation from french. Seems ok to me.

I totally agree about to much confusion and ruducing any benefits. Marriott should strive to make this more consistent and add a few things for Tit and Ambassador
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The whole "roadmap" of the merge has been pretty botched with the confusing levels between SPG and MR and the overly generous matching initially.

I guess someone got paid the big bucks to come up with the new brand identity. Now the rest of us just have to come up with funny names for it

I think the fact BonVoy still has Gold and Platinum can be confusing. However, Titanium at least takes out the confusion.

At the end of the day, what we ask is "Where is the beef?"
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like "Happy Trails" better. But of course that phrase could not have been trademarked. Perhaps the estate of Roy Rogers already has. And the phrase might not translate well into other languages.

If I had been the decision maker, I would have gone with Marriott Preferred Guest. MPG evokes MVP. Perhaps that could have been the top level -- MPG MVP.
WoodyWindy likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Bonvoy = $750,000 Windfall to outside marketing group
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:27 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
If the Bonvoy program treats me right- with Elite recognition, Suite Upgrades, excellent customer service- all those things that inspired my fierce loyalty to Starwood- I will come to love the Bonvoy name.

Ball is in Marriott’s court.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I think they should have gone with something like a merging of the 2...Marriott Preferred Guest. Or leave it Marriott Rewards.

They put themselves in the position of having to advertise to explain a dumb name.

For a loyalty program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.