Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to book international F (F or A fares) on Star Alliance flights using United.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to book international F (F or A fares) on Star Alliance flights using United.com?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus

Has anyone noticed that you are no long able to book an F or A fare class on a united ticket when you try to book on a Star Alliance flight. The highest fare class available is J.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA no longer operates an F cabin on international flights. You can still purchase F or A fares on partners on some routes where first class is offered. For example, searching FRA-HKG (and selecting "Business or First") returns an LH A fare. But yes, overall, the availability of F and A through UA has been much reduced, at least when searching on the website. Not sure whether more options would be offered if you call.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It only affects UA codeshares. For routes where the website returns a codeshare, you can call UA to book the native flight in F or A and plate it 016.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus
That’s good to know, I will be sure to do that when I book my next international leg to Europe.

I just wish United kept to a higher standard on their service (food and inflight). It does not make sense to fly them when a LH or LX flight is roughly a little more for first class and the price difference is worth it for the service and quality product. If only the spend on those flights counted toward GS.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Dc.ranger
I just wish United kept to a higher standard on their service (food and inflight). It does not make sense to fly them when a LH or LX flight is roughly a little more for first class and the price difference is worth it for the service and quality product. If only the spend on those flights counted toward GS.
Does GS make much of a difference when already flying intl J and F?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Dc.ranger
It would be nice, but I think the US market made it pretty clear that very few customers were interested in paying the extra required for a true F product (and I have to admit I'm part of them -- J is "good enough" so it's hard to justify F if it's more than a few hundred extra).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:57 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
It only affects UA codeshares. For routes where the website returns a codeshare, you can call UA to book the native flight in F or A and plate it 016.
Just to be clear, I can book an all Lufthansa itinerary in A class and they will plate it on 016 stock with no UA flight numbers on it if I call UA because they no longer offer first class on the code share? Can a travel agent do it too?

It would be nice, but I think the US market made it pretty clear that very few customers were interested in paying the extra required for a true F product (and I have to admit I'm part of them -- J is "good enough" so it's hard to justify F if it's more than a few hundred extra).
Polaris is good enough; 8-across sardine-business class was not and F was plenty justified then.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 23, 2019 at 9:43 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
Just to be clear, I can book an all Lufthansa itinerary in A class and they will plate it on 016 stock with no UA flight numbers on it if I call UA because they no longer offer first class on the code share? Can a travel agent do it too?
Yes. Some agents may complain if there are no UA flights (it could help to have a domestic connector or to gratuitously codeshare an EU segment if possible), but they can plate it.

A TA cannot, because they have to follow plating guidelines.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:30 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. Some agents may complain if there are no UA flights (it could help to have a domestic connector or to gratuitously codeshare an EU segment if possible), but they can plate it.

A TA cannot, because they have to follow plating guidelines.
Thanks!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.