Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Paid for BA Club Europe, get economy Aer Lingus, compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:37 am
Original Poster

My wife was recently due to fly DUB-LCY on BA in Club, but when they changed the aircraft to Stobart Air she took advantage of their offer to change to another service.

They offered Aer Lingus to LHR. However the service was economy, no priority boarding, no fastrack security, no meal, no option to choose a seat (they gave her 19E) etc. She is BA Gold and she's also pregnant, which is why she paid for Club.

We had a long phone call with a very rude BA customer service agent, who is refusing to offer any downgrade compensation, after initially suggesting that it was due. What is correct, should she keep challenging it?

Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Did she know when she changed that she'd moving from CE to Y with EI?

Regarding space, there is no blocked middle seats on LCY flights.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Scot1A
she took advantage of their offer to change to another service.
unfortunately I doubt you will get far as she volunteered....did she get compensation for volunteering? sounds like she would have been best to forego the offer and stick to the CE flight
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If she chose this service then I can't see she has much option of reimbursement let alone compensation. I guess she wasn't properly informed about the EI service, but a quick ping here would have quickly shown up the issues. Aer Lingus is reinstating a very limited number of business class flights next year (mind, there are quite a few unfulfilled improvements pending with that airline) but it's essentially a one class airline in shorthaul. Normally the agents are amendable to seat changes if asked and there are options still left, but she can call up too for that.

The main thread on downgrade reimbursement is in the EC261 thread in the Dashboard, but there's not much point looking there unless BA told her to move to another flight. The Stobart wet leases did offer Club Europe.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Has she actually flown yet?

It's not entirely clear from your post.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Club Europe on Stobart Air is arguably better than CE on the standard cityflyer aircraft as it is former Virgin Australia metal which had a dedicated business/first class cabin in a 1-2 configuration. If she was travelling by herself a bigger single seat would in my opinion be better than Cityflyer,

Why did she change was it the fact that she didn’t want to fly Stobart Air or to change to a more convenient flight time using Stobart Air as an excuse/opportunity for this?
orbitmic and nancypants like this.

Last edited by KeaneJohn; Jan 20, 2019 at 12:13 pm
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I'm interested to know why changing to LHR was more convenient than continuing on Stobart Air from LCY.
Was this an 'on the day' change?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I am wondering the same as most others here - why ask to change in the first place?

If asking to change to another flight and accepting the offer of rerouting, having been informed that it was a flight operated by Aer Lingus (meaning all economy), then she should have no ground for any compensation - it was a voluntary change. If BA had involuntarily rebooked her that would have been a different story.
Padmeister likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Just to add to those who say that choosing that alternative flight and routing effectively doesn’t open a right to any compensation
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

Upon reflection it sounds like the best bet was to stay with the Stobart Air service. The reason she asked for a change was due to us being affected twice by the Air Belgium aircraft replacements on the Dubai route. Therefore when notified of another aircraft switch for a short haul flight she just assumed it wasn't a great aircraft.

On a separate note, BA were incapable of selecting a seat for her on Aer Lingus, despite specifically requesting twice she ended up with the random seat allocation. 3 years as part of IAG, I would have thought the systems would at least talk to each other.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Scot1A
...On a separate note, BA were incapable of selecting a seat for her on Aer Lingus, despite specifically requesting twice she ended up with the random seat allocation. 3 years as part of IAG, I would have thought the systems would at least talk to each other.
That's a big assumption - AA and BA's systems have had difficulties talking to each other for over 20 years!
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is quite simply not an EC 261/2004 situation. OP's wife asked for a voluntary change for reasons which she considered important to her. BA accommodated her request and that is the end of the discussion.

Whether the new product was the equivalent of the product she originally purchased is a matter of subjective impression, but has nothing to do with whether she is due a refund (not compensation in any event).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I don’t want to go against the more knowledgable people here but I am surprised at the responses.

was the OP’s wife told it was a switch to an Aer Lingus operated flight which is all economy? If so, absolutely fair enough. But implicit in the complaint is that she wasn’t aware.

I can see a conversation going something like:

”My flight has changed from BA to Stobart Air, what can you offer me?”

”Oh well let’s see...[tap tap tap]...it looks like all flights from City that day are on Stobart Air now, I can see what’s available from Heathrow if you like...[tap tap tap]...hmm there’s an Aer Lingus flight at 14:10 to Dublin which gets in at the same time as your LCY flight. Do you want me to switch you to that one?”

Now the agent may have been aware that Stobart operate a lot of flights for EI (ie from BHX with BA codes) so could have not fully realised that by suggesting an EI switch they were downgrading the customer.

OP - did your wife receive a revised eticket receipt and did it say economy or business? This may be determinitive from an EU compensation perspective.

But from a customer relations point of view, it should have been pointed out - as presumably the only reason EI was offered was schedule and had it been a BA service the OP’s wife would have been booked into CE?

When did they realise EI don’t have a business cabin on LHR-DUB?

nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.