Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using ITA Matrix to find or book AA flights; issues, tips.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using ITA Matrix to find or book AA flights; issues, tips.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Basic Economy? Full fare basis starts with "O" but ITA Matrix says "booking code B"

Looking at a fare from NYC-CMH-NYC and ITA Matrix shows this in search results:

Fare 1: Carrier AA OVEHZSB3 NYC to CMH $64.19
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code B
Covers LGA-CMH (Economy)

Fare 2: Carrier AA OVEHZSB3 CMH to NYC $64.18
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code B
Covers CMH-LGA (Economy)
Is this the dreaded Basic Economy fare? If so, why doesn't the fare basis start with B? If not, why does it show "booking code B"?

And how do I avoid showing results for Basic Economy on AA in ITA searches?

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 6, 2020 at 4:44 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
This is indeed a basic economy fare. I don't think there is a way to weed out basic economy on AA in ITA searches.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Since AA is using B class for basic economy fares. you can avoid seeing them using the extension code to list fares only in other classes

It is clunky, but you could do

f bc=O|BC=Q|BC=N|BC=S|BC=V|BC=L|BC=M|BC=K|BC=H|BC=Y

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 7, 2017 at 12:30 pm
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Dave,

How about using negation in the fare code line?

f ~bc=B
SPN Lifer and jacobguo like this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
If you put in "f ~bc=b", it will eliminate the Basic Economy fares in ITA.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Dave,

How about using negation in the fare code line?

f ~bc=B
Only because I forgot that tilde was the symbol for "not" ; I thought that it was a exclamation point but that gave me errors
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by salut0
Is this the dreaded Basic Economy fare? If so, why doesn't the fare basis start with B? If not, why does it show "booking code B"?

As others have mentioned, this is Basic Economy and these results can be excluded by doing "f ~bc=b".

I'm taking an educated guess based on what DL does, but the reason the fare basis doesn't start with B is because Basic Economy fares have different "underlying" fares. For example, the first letter in your example is an O, so it is an underlying O fare with the basic economy restriction.

Basic economy fares are filed using the B booking inventory code and require dual availability (book B but another applicable main cabin inventory must also be available)

Basic economy fare basis codes have a B in the second to last position (at the moment). Eg. NUAJZNB3 is a Basic Economy code because of the B in the second to last position.

Others, feel free to correct what I said.
Marsh11 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Now if anyone can figure out how to eliminate Basic Economy fares from Google Flights, that'd be VERY useful!
ijgordon, lsquare and wilsnunn like this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I'm taking an educated guess based on what DL does, but the reason the fare basis doesn't start with B is because Basic Economy fares have different "underlying" fares. For example, the first letter in your example is an O, so it is an underlying O fare with the basic economy restriction.

Basic economy fares are filed using the B booking inventory code and require dual availability (book B but another applicable main cabin inventory must also be available)
So, instead of a Y-UP, this is a B-DOWN? Hmm. If a flight is cancelled, can we then try to claim a refund based on the underlying regular main cabin fare??? What goes around comes around!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
So, instead of a Y-UP, this is a B-DOWN? Hmm. If a flight is cancelled, can we then try to claim a refund based on the underlying regular main cabin fare??? What goes around comes around!
Not sure where your logic lies. For refunds, the rules and cost of fare paid counts

It is simply a dual inventory fare where 2 booking classes must both be available to book it

There seems to be no special restrictions where a flight is cancelled
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Now if only there was an easy way to weed out Basic Economy fares easily when doing a multi airline search on ITA.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
If you put in "f ~bc=b", it will eliminate the Basic Economy fares in ITA.
Will that only work for AA? I'm trying to help my sister find some nonstop flights on either AA or UA, but not basic but I can't seem to work out how to do that. Here are screenshots of my query and results. It's showing me basic fares on UA. Is there a single query I can do that will exclude basic from both airlines? Maybe some way to say "anything where the second to last letter in the fare basis is not B."

Or, maybe another way: I want to exclude B on AA and N on UA. But if I simply exclude B and N "blindly," I'll exclude N on AA, which is not what I want. And of course I don't want to run one query for AA and then a separate search for UA. I'd like to be able to see both airlines in the results.

And yes, I know this is the AA forum and not the UA forum.

Last edited by Marsh11; Jan 8, 2018 at 8:55 pm
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by Marsh11
Will that only work for AA? I'm trying to help my sister find some nonstop flights on either AA or UA, but not basic but I can't seem to work out how to do that. Here are screenshots of my query and results. It's showing me basic fares on UA. Is there a single query I can do that will exclude basic from both airlines? Maybe some way to say "anything where the second to last letter in the fare basis is not B."

Or, maybe another way: I want to exclude B on AA and N on UA. But if I simply exclude B and N "blindly," I'll exclude N on AA, which is not what I want. And of course I don't want to run one query for AA and then a separate search for UA. I'd like to be able to see both airlines in the results.

And yes, I know this is the AA forum and not the UA forum.

You should run 2 separate query because ITA will not mix some airlines, and you may find a cheaper price with an airline on the outbound, but cheaper with the other for the inbound.
Marsh11 likes this.

Last edited by fedechat; Jan 9, 2018 at 11:33 am
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Best way for booking complicated ITA matrix flights?

I'm planning a trip to Vegas this summer and was looking at the possibility of turning it into a segment run. I think I will need to call AA to book since the Multicity search "upgrade".

Any tips for calling in the flights? Should I just feed them flight by flight or should I break it up by fare? Or is dealing with an OTA a better approach?

Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Use BookWithMatrix. Just copy the results from ITA Matrix and paste them on this website.
https://bookwithmatrix.com/
adunker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.