Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

WSMA * (Why so many abbreviations? The FlyerTalk Glossary.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:00 am
Original Poster

As an *occasional* reader, the over-use of acronyms and abbreviations on this site is beyond frustrating. It transforms interesting reading into a slow, code breaking chore. So, my question: Why So Many Abbreviations???
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by Kids To London
As an *occasional* reader, the over-use of acronyms and abbreviations on this site is beyond frustrating. It transforms interesting reading into a slow, code breaking chore. So, my question: Why So Many Abbreviations???
IDK
travelmad478 and IBJoel like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:32 am

As an *occasional* reader
I am glad that after seventeen years of membership, you finally worked up the courage to start this thread about acronym usage on the Internet. This must have really been bugging you.
cmx likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:07 am

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Welcome to pretty much every enthusiasts' community in existence

When people get together to discuss any topic in detail, acronyms often emerge so that you don't have to type, say, "Load Factor Based Upgrade" (which itself is a bit of jargon that most people probably wouldn't get anyway) multiple times in a post. It doesn't take that big an investment to get the hang of them (as suggested upthread, keep a glossary handy); otherwise, there are plenty of frequent-flyer bloggers who do quite well for themselves by distilling this stuff for the general public.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The thread title has been changed. From the FlyerTalk Rules:

4.0 Thread Titles link to this Rule

Please create thread titles that are specific and descriptive and that contain an accurate (not misleading or sensational) characterization of the topic. If you wish to change your thread's title, please contact a moderator. Moderators may also edit thread titles to clarify content.
As this has nothing to do with any specific airline, it will be moved to the Technical Support and Feedback forum. Please try to post in the appropriate forum.

As many members are very frequent flyers, many acronyms common in flying are used in the fora here. To aid those unfamiliar with those, there is a very extensive Glossary accessible through the Help menu as illustrated below. (There’s also an Airport code lookup tool, as well.)

Thank you,

JDiver, Moderator

Attached Images  
IBJoel likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 12, 2018 at 9:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.