Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Status Much Better Than Silver?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Gold Status Much Better Than Silver?

Following on from a previous thread I thought, as a Silver member who is going for Gold this year it would be worth asking you Golds or previous Golds who have achieved both Silver and Gold whether it's a big jump up?

Bronze to Silver for me was a huge jump but in reality is Silver to Gold as big a jump?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by eugegall
Following on from a previous thread I thought, as a Silver member who is going for Gold this year it would be worth asking you Golds or previous Golds who have achieved both Silver and Gold whether it's a big jump up?

Bronze to Silver for me was a huge jump but in reality is Silver to Gold as big a jump?
Hi,

The big step is as you say from Blue or Bronze ( no lounge access) to Silver ( lounge access, fast track security at a lot of airports)

I think it will depend on the routes that you fly but the main benefits are

First Class Check in ( First Wing at LHR T5 is excellent)
First lounges ( LHR T3, HKG. LAX etc have some excellent lounges) LHR T5 GF is better than GC
Bonus avios,
Choice of Row 1 on some aircraft.
Better chance of op-ups ( but would not count on it)
Recognition on some airlines (Cathay is very good)
Better reward availability (you can use double miles

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
This is going to be so dependent on your circumstances.
How often do you fly?
are you LHR based?
Are you paying for TP runs yourself or corporate travel?
How many Avios do you earn a year?
etc etc.
I believe there have been previous discussions on this
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
It all depends. You get more Avios for your flights. You get Gold Priority Rewards. Depending on how you view Avios, those may help.

For day to day travel, I think the biggest differences are things like the First Wing in LHR, access to some better seats which are blocked for Golds, and access to better lounges (ranging from a tiny bit better to moderately better, depending on the airline, airport, etc.). On AA, I’ve also benefited from better IRROPS handling, but I think that is airline-specific.

All told, I saw the biggest difference going to Silver. The incremental benefits which come with Gold are real, yet seem somewhat more subtle.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
If you wish to use Avios redemptions, there is a VAST additional inventory of Economy class Avios seats available (V class) which only Gold members can book (not only for themselves).

If (for example) you are likely to want to take your family on trips using Avios this can be a huge bonus. That is without the restrictions of the Gold Priority Rewards.
volar, KeaneJohn, Lefly and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:36 pm

If you fly a lot in Y, getting to reserve exit row seats even at short notice is great.

The other benefits are marginal over silver for me and I wouldn't spend much time or money to chase gold.
Stez likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
I made BA Gold in August for the first time. Felt pretty good. The last time I had status with BA was after a status match from the BMI days, and that was to Silver. I normally travel in J or F by virtue of Avios redemptions... so now that I travel Y Gold has been very nice.

So far Gold has been useful for three things;
- Extra Avios on flights
- Gold Wing check in
- Service recovery and treatment

Extra Avios on Flights
This was the most unexpected value. You get double the base Avios. This might not seem like much; but on a flight from Amsterdam to San Francisco and back in Y you are looking at paying roughly £220 and in return will get just shy of 17,000 Avios. Coupled with First class lounge access, exit row seating it is perfect.

Gold Wing
Going through the Gold Wing is probably the nicest perk. It feels refined and a true 'BA' experience. What's nicer is the purple people looking at you when you approach and point out security is the other way. It only happened once but it felt nice!

Service Recovery and Treatment
On a recent long haul flight two things happened. Firstly; IFE was not working and my meal choice was not available. A proactive crew member reported it I (I ended up with 7,500 Avios in my account) and found a meal from a different cabin. I doubt this would have happened as a silver. It was nice that a Gold was treated well.

To be honest though; it is a perk and an expensive one too. It cost me about £1,800 to get and I am yet to get that much value. Flying to LUX out of T3 will certainly allow you to reap back some of this if that's your thing (CX F lounge); but the extra Avios and ability to book into the additional class is probably the most valuable.

I like flying though and am happy to pay that bit more such that it is a nice experience.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
I'm going the other way and I am already missing....

First Lounge and Wing
100% avios bonus - building up avios for 2F1 redemption
Cant get front row access (very tall) even though the website says I canoodling any seat bar exit row in some long haul???

For me the seat selection is an imperative requirement otherwise I choose another airline.
i will have to get used to the wing and lounge!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Bronze to Silver is the biggest jump in the programme IMO due to fast track and lounge access.

Gold gives you a very premium security experience at LHR and a nicer lounge with food worth eating and Champagne worth drinking. If based in London this is a nice jump, albeit not as huge as moving from no fast track and no lounge to having both.

If not based in London (or in OW hub airport), I'd say the jump is not that noticeable although I must confess the extra reward availability for Golds was a real money saver. I managed to book same day redemptions in Europe that were normally priced at £300+
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I realize this isn't strictly applicable because the OP's location differs from mine, but for the purposes of an American-based flyer, Silver is definitely the sweet spot. Easily achievable--two Club flights with a connection through London or three WT+ with a connection gets the status with lounge access, extra Avios, and seat selection the biggest advantages when using BA. And the oneworld status works wonders with AA, allowing me lounge access even when flying economy within the US and free seat selection, including Main Cabin Extra, which helped make bearable my one AA TATL in the last 10 years--economy from CLT to DUB (hard to pass up $230 RT) was a lot easier in an exit row with no seat in front of me.

I've never been tempted to put together a mileage run to raise my status to Gold.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
It’s a slippery slope. Once you are gold the target then becomes Gold Guest List and that’s where the fun really starts....upgrade vouchers, jokers (which release redemption seats otherwise unavailable), partner cards (1 x gold and 2 x silver to give to members of your household account), CCR access and yours for only 5,000 tier points (3,000 tier points to renew).

Happy flying!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Interesting thread and it reflects other posts I've read.

I've rejoined BAEC this year because my stash of dormant Avios were transferred to a new account. I've also done a couple of trips to New Zealand in the last two years (via SE Asia & Australia) and I got a taste for the benefits of status with Qantas. But now, although I thought I'd retired, some unexpected work has turned up, so I decided to use it to fund some travel. The idea was to get to Silver (based on what I'd read), but I've just booked the OTP-PHX-OTP bargain and at the end of that, I should find myself around 290 TPs short of Gold with a few months of my year left to run.

I'll also be going to NZ again later in the year anyway, so my current thoughts are to go for Gold in my current year, go to NZ next 'year' and think again. I'll have 15 months of Gold to see how I like it (and then a year of Silver), but the NZ trip would probably make retaining Gold within reach!

Just seen Newly Wed's post - I don't fly many sectors, or for work, so the higher Gold levels are completely out of reach but, for me, if think that Silver will be sustainable - I'm just intrigued about the Gold 'experience! And I'd like to see how the CX First lounges at HKG compare to the business versions!

Last edited by peter h; Nov 20, 2018 at 3:16 pm Reason: Newly Wed's post
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
In answer, no the jump is not as big as from Bronze to Silver, but having said that I really like the First Wing and seat selection options, and I would definitely spend a fair bit if I had to, in order to keep Gold.
Temps likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The two big jumps in status are Bronze to Silver and Gold to GGL.

Gold itself has some useful benefits. V class converting into award space is one I have got some good use from, partner F lounges can be excellent and the First Wing at T5 is the first genuine improvement in BA’s product for quite some time. But I don’t think I would chase Gold at all (have GfL so a moot point).
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:33 pm

Jump not as big but the benefits are nice. They also extend across the OW group so you may find, depending on where you travel, that there are lounge benefits for example. In Japan Silver gets you a room, coffee and crisps but Gold gets you a similar room plus a soup, bread, a rice cake and a Danish pasty type of thing plus better booze.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.