Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia bonus avios

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Iberia bonus avios

Out of interest what did everyone do with their 90k avios...just got an email reminding me to use them! Business to Tel Aviv for me and the other half
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Transferred to BA - not spent yet !
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC
Heading to Japan for RWC . There's already a thread on the Iberia forum where this specific question is more appropriately addressed.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
Transferred to BA - not spent yet !
Do you need to spend these or once they are in BA they are ok?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Do you need to spend these or once they are in BA they are ok?
​​​​​​BA presumably has no idea they have expiry dates on them.

Whether your Iberia account going negative and then being merged with your BA balance will result in them being wiped out, whether you spent them or not, is the more important question!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:41 am

I read from here and other websites that people who haven't yet spent them have received emails reminding them to do so before 1st December. We've spent ours and didn't get an email so I guess they must have some mechanism in place that identified those who had spent to those who hadn't. IMHO 90,000 avios is too many to lose gambling they won't claw them back if they've been transferred out.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by callum9999
​​​​​​

Whether your Iberia account going negative and then being merged with your BA balance will result in them being wiped out, whether you spent them or not, is the more important question!
This.

Since there appears to be a list of members who haven't spent their Avios properly, that list may well include the BAEC numbers those Avios were transferred to. And making a BAEC redemption is most definitely NOT a qualifying redemption under IB+ rules. But BA/IAG may not want to bait the Daily Mail, etc. again, after caving into the UK press back in the summer and allowing Combining of (promo) Avios.

The simple question yet to be answered is whether IB+ accounts will simply go to negative -90K, or whether BA and IB have spent these months to set up a process to "expire" 90K Avios out of BAEC as well. Get the popcorn ready...
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
I really interested to see how the outburst on this forum will be next month. I already didn't like the way some people were talking about their avios coming in delayed, so I'm going to have my popcorn ready.

I don't want to take the risk and I've spent all 63k I've acquired with this offer with IB. Also that Groupon deal came in handy as I've bought quite some avios there too. When I moved to Spain 2 years ago I did well signing up for IB+ and all the hard work of gathering avios is paying off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.