Wiki Posts
Search

BAEC Luggage Tags

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, RCI Diamond
BAEC Luggage Tags

Just curious really-who actually uses their luggage tags? I see so many people with a rust or silver tag on laptop bags/hand luggage and I just can't see the point! Am I missing something?

Not sure if this means anything, but I rarely see a gold tag on hand baggage.....?!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Gold tag on hand luggage is quite common in my experience. Especially in Row 1 or exit rows in short haul. Then again I fly gold-heavy routes like GVA, ZRH, and others. It's good insurance to have your luggage stay overhead and not be relocated too far by the cabin crew.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, RCI Diamond
Originally Posted by thebigben
Gold tag on hand luggage is quite common in my experience. Especially in Row 1 or exit rows in short haul. Then again I fly gold-heavy routes like GVA, ZRH, and others. It's good insurance to have your luggage stay overhead and not be relocated too far by the cabin crew.
Good point well presented.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: BA GGL
I have one on my guitar case, which used to limit the number of conversations I had to have about where it would be stowed during the flight.

(Spoiler: Even on a "completely full" E170, there was room in the overhead after for it, after everyone else had boarded)
Great_circle and dombo17uk like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Gold tag on both our carry-ons ...
  • Tends to facilitate interaction with Ground Agents.
  • Has on occasion resulted in being pulled out of the queue for a new desk, etc.
  • Bag eaily identified if separated, such as Lounge visits to loo/bar/buffet.
  • Visibly justifies presence in Group 1 queue.
  • Has very small DYKWIA value, but every little helps.
Markie, YacozA, nwmgc and 10 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Never used them. Personally find them vulgar, arrogant, garish and childish. I have a business card inside my bag in an obvious place should my bag leave my side and need returned to me.

Having said that I can see from the points made above how it could be useful in certain circumstances. But I just still couldn't do it. It looks tacky and looks like I am property of the airline.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I don’t bother here and have a chuckle to myself when I see people who do.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: BA GGL
Oh, and one time the gold tag on my checked bag was the only differentiator between my luggage and another passengers... which I didn't notice at all, but my phone rang when I was in the T5 Arrivals Lounge and an agent explained to me that I'd taken the wrong bag.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
They can be useful for stopping the Club World pax huffing when you navigate your walk past them to board in Group 1
diamantaire and :D! like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Never used them. Personally find them vulgar, arrogant, garish and childish. I have a business card inside my bag in an obvious place should my bag leave my side and need returned to me.

Having said that I can see from the points made above how it could be useful in certain circumstances. But I just still couldn't do it. It looks tacky and looks like I am property of the airline.
Phew, that’s you off my Christmas Greetings list!!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I used to bother - more for checked bags than hand luggage. Now I don't. Doesn't seem to have made any difference at all. I never really liked having them but thought it might make some difference - for example not getting queried for First Wing access. In reality, my experience without has been almost exactly the same as with. So I have to conclude it's a mostly a perceived 'status' thing.

Especially - sorry - those people wandering around with Bronze tags...that gets you basically nothing, so there cannot be any point in using them in terms of staff interaction etc. At best, you're advertising that you don't actually fly all that much.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have seen on AA, EXP with every luggage tag they have ever got from AA..
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ratypus
I used to bother - more for checked bags than hand luggage. Now I don't. Doesn't seem to have made any difference at all. I never really liked having them but thought it might make some difference - for example not getting queried for First Wing access. In reality, my experience without has been almost exactly the same as with. So I have to conclude it's a mostly a perceived 'status' thing.

Especially - sorry - those people wandering around with Bronze tags...that gets you basically nothing, so there cannot be any point in using them in terms of staff interaction etc. At best, you're advertising that you don't actually fly all that much.
I use the bronze ones, I rather like them. It's not a perceived status thing, it's because they have my name and BAEC number on, which I thought was the purpose of a tag on baggage.
endoman, flygirl68, T8191 and 10 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Last week I made a trip to Cyprus (Lanarca) and when my checked baggage came out on the carousel, the securely attached BA'a Gold tag along with its strap was missing, which leads me to believe that it was most probably stolen.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dougzz
I use the bronze ones, I rather like them. It's not a perceived status thing, it's because they have my name and BAEC number on, which I thought was the purpose of a tag on baggage.
ditto , although some silver ones should be arriving in a few weeks,
dougzz and FrogTastic like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.