Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas says my Business Flex fare was Business Saver and charged 300 NZD cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas says my Business Flex fare was Business Saver and charged 300 NZD cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

I booked a Business flex fare. I later found the same flight cheaper at Amex and was able to use an Amex travel cashback offer, so I cancelled the original.

Qantas refunded minus a 300 NZD cancellation fee and now claim that the fare was a Business Saver.

I have screenshots I took while booking that show it was Business Flex and the fare conditions state fully refundable if cancelled before departure.

Qantas just say nope, it was a Business Saver fare.

The only documentation I have is the Qantas e-ticket which has the travel class but doesn't state a fare code or type.

Banging my head against a brick wall telling them it was a flex fare and they seem uninterested in treating my screenshots as proof.

The booking I made at Amex saved me what I'm currently losing on this cancellation charge, so it's not the end of the world, but it's the principle. I was shown fare conditions while booking that said fully refundable, and I'd really quite like to have my 300 NZD back.

What can I do next?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

what does your ticket receipt say the price is , what is the booking class and what is the route?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

1179.55 NZD

AKL-PPT
QF3815
7 Feb 2019

e-ticket receipt only says (under 'Status') - "Business Confirmed"
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Screenshots I took while booking. (I always take shots of stuff like this so I have a record. 29 flights to keep track of my next trip)

Screenshots I took while booking (I always take screenshots of stuff like this so I have a record. 29 flights to keep track of for my next trip)
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looking at the DSPNZ fare which would seem ikely to be the fare, the rules do state

CANCELLATIONS

ANY TIME
CHARGE NZD 300.00 FOR CANCEL/REFUND.
WAIVED FOR DEATH OF PASSENGER.

The C class fully refundable fare is about NZD240 more expensive

The Qantas site is indeed selling fare at that price and saying that it is fully refundable - perhaps screen shot the booking page and dispute it up with your credit card company
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by todderz
The only documentation I have is the Qantas e-ticket which has the travel class but doesn't state a fare code or type.
As QF now do not show the fare booking class, putting your PNR into Finnair manage booking will display fare booking class. Manage booking is small text under customer service half way down the screen. Something I now do with all QF reservations.
https://www.finnair.com/au/gb/custom...manage-booking
But as your flight/PNR is now cancelled may not display.

Edit
QF3815 Operated by Air Tahiti Nui 102
https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/fl...as-and-jetstar
https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/fl...rtner-airlines

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 22, 2018 at 5:25 pm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Right. Interesting.

But how come the website showed me it as "Business Flex" and "Cancellation (including no show) before departure - Full refund", if those weren't actually the rules?

That's pretty bad. Isn't it?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As QF now do not show the fare booking class, putting your PNR into Finnair manage booking will display fare booking class. Manage booking is small text under customer service half way down the screen. Something I now do with all QF reservations.
https://www.finnair.com/au/gb/custom...manage-booking
But as your flight/PNR is now cancelled may not display.
Thanks, no it's not found, but handy to know for the future
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

The Qantas site is indeed selling fare at that price and saying that it is fully refundable - perhaps screen shot the booking page and dispute it up with your credit card company

Yes, thanks, I think this is looking like my next course of action.

Appreciate your help.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

I just realised what you said - Yes, if I search the Qantas site right now it is currently showing that fare and it states fully refundable!

For most of today I've thought I was going mad. (I had a severe brain injury and I do forget a lot of things)

But now I'm just mad! It definitely said "full refund"

Actually, I'm not mad - I more just pleased to be back to being sure I was right!

Last edited by todderz; Sep 22, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Well, at least I know I'm right. I get the impression Qantas still aren't quite as convinced as I am:

Anyway, thanks all for the tips. Much obliged!
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Typically, I give these sorts of issues one shot. If the proper refund is not issued, a CC chargeback is in order. Supply all of the documents, e.g. screenshots.

If indeed the ticket was erroneously sold as having no penalty when it should have had one, that is a QF problem, not yours.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Lodge a complaint with your local consumer affairs for false and misleading advertising and send a copy to Qantas.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: MR rewards
If you payed the 300 by Amex call them tell them the story.. amex is great in theese types of situations.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As QF now do not show the fare booking class, putting your PNR into Finnair manage booking will display fare booking class. ...
Hmmm ... the fare bucket is available once the PNR is created.

(FWIW, if you log on to your QFF account and commence a booking, proceeding to the payment page, the incomplete booking is available via Qantas manage your booking and doing so reveals the fare class.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.