Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service to HKG

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Service to HKG

I just learned that DL won't fly to HKG after October 4th (so, I'm not keeping up with the changes these days...)

I'm PM, so what's most optimal: buy DL marketed KE flights, or directly from KE as a Skyteam airline? Can I get preferred seats either way? This will be coach, out of SFO in November, looks like SFO-ICN-HKG has a few options, with 777 to ICN and then 777 or 747 to HKG.

There's also SFO-SEA-PVG-HKG on DL and MU for the last segment, but that many connections will get tiring.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
What is your reason for not just taking the non-stop from SFO on United or Cathay? The answer to that may impact everyone's recommendations...
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
What is your reason for not just taking the non-stop from SFO on United or Cathay? The answer to that may impact everyone's recommendations...
Maybe the OP has no Star or Oneworld status?
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I took the non-stop on CX a few years ago and it was a great experience. Far better than any US airline IMO. I would do that. SQ does that route as well.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Yes but not sure what status gets you on a DL/KE flight internationally (other than some extra miles and IRROPS protection). You'll get lounge access on your connection, but having no connection at all is better than having a lounge at your connecting point...

If the person is doing the flight for MQMs then that would impact the recommendations on ticket stock and metal.
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
There's plenty of other options: CI via TPE (far better than KE via ICN, IMO), MU via PVG, CZ via CAN, or just CZ to CAN and then ground transport to HKG.

CX used to be good, but as of late CX service and aircraft maintenance is on a rapid decline. Frequently broken J seats (you'd better hope the cabin isn't full), more and more cutbacks to service, disgruntled staff. I mean, CX can't even spell its own name on its aircraft livery. That's a new low of gross incompetence even for Chinese airlines.

(this is a real image as taken by some pax at HKG, not photoshop'ed...and this aircraft is flying live...wonder what else it's missing other than the F)
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Both UA and CX will be a miserably tight 3-4-3 in Y.

KE offers one of the best Y experiences of any carrier. It's a very good choice for this route if the timing works for you.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Both UA and CX will be a miserably tight 3-4-3 in Y.

KE offers one of the best Y experiences of any carrier. It's a very good choice for this route if the timing works for you.
Isn't most of UA's international fleet still 9 abreast? They've only refurbed a few to 10 abreast, right? Or is this one of the routes they have already been deployed to?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
The seat width on UA's 9 abreast 787s are just as narrow as the 10 abreast refurbished 772s and 77Ws.

Isn't most of UA's international fleet still 9 abreast? They've only refurbed a few to 10 abreast, right? Or is this one of the routes they have already been deployed to?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by 764toHI
The seat width on UA's 9 abreast 787s are just as narrow as the 10 abreast refurbished 772s and 77Ws.
Yes but UA currently runs a 777 on this route - not a 787.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
That is correct, but it's not just that I don't want to fly without status. It's more like I'd prefer to earn miles on an airline I fly regularly. The options mentioned are great, but I'd prefer DL or at least a Skyteam partner which earns full MQMs.

So, with that in mind, is it better to ticket DL marketed KE flights, or direct with KE? I believe both options will yield actual MQMs flown, but not sure about access to preferred seats (or if it's even an option at all).

That said, the convenience of a non-stop is worth a look at UA, CX, etc.

Last edited by fliesdelta; Sep 20, 2018 at 8:15 am
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Yes but UA currently runs a 10 seat wide configured 777 on this route - not 9.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
We're not talking about "most of" UA's fleet. We're talking about SFO-HKG, which is 100% 77W.

Specifically, they fly a 77W, and that is always 10 across Y.

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
That said, the convenience of a non-stop is worth a look at UA, CX, etc.
14 hours in 10 across Y? No thank you.

​​​​​​​I would absolutely choose KE in your shoes.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would absolutely choose KE in your shoes.
After looking at all the options just now, I'm leaning that way.

I guess I need to decide between ticketing DL marketed KE flights, or book directly with KE.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:36 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
After looking at all the options just now, I'm leaning that way.

I guess I need to decide between ticketing DL marketed KE flights, or book directly with KE.
Be aware that MQMs should be the same but MQDs and earned miles will be different depending which airline you book with. (Price may also be different in some cases.)

Korean MQDs and earned miles will be according to this chart: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html (click "mileage earn after may 1" under Korean). Depending on your fare class and price you can occasionally get more MQDs and earned miles by booking on the partner airline's flight numbers than you'd get booking direct with Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.