Wiki Posts
Search

Advice please!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:44 am
Siz
Original Poster

Advice please!

I’m booked onto BA7060 tomorrow and have just checked in online, originally we were allocated 15D, 15E and 15F, but row 6 D-F was free so I tried selecting these instead, but it gave me an error message so I gave up and hit the stick with original seats. I then completed check in and when I got the boarding passes it’s allocated myself 6D, my husband 6F and has left my deaf 9yr old daughter in 15E. I’ve tried calling both Iberia (who can’t help as it’s booked through BA) and BA who can’t access the flight on the system as it’s operated by Iberia. All they can do is tell me to sort it at the airport and as she’s under 12 she has to sit with one of us and as 6E is free they will put her there. Obviously if they can’t sort it then my husband will take 15E and my daughter will be with me, but potentially with someone in the middle of us (who will hopefully swap). My concern is my daughter needs someone directly next to her to communicate as she relies heavily on lip reading with her hearing aids, I’m worried things may shift around and 6E is taken and we end up in seats behind and in front of each other which means we can’t communicate. I know probably being a paranoid, over anxious mother, but I’m so worried and wondered if any of you helpful lot had any other ideas?!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Sometimes a more specific title can get you some more quality answers... but anyway. I don't imagine there will be another three empty seats to swap a couple of hours before - so just swap your husband with child - and it's likely the third person in your row will accommodate you two sitting together.

The airline at check in would make any swap to get you or your husband adjacent to the child
ptr120 and Fraser like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Could you possibly ask to be unchecked-in? And then when checking in again select the seats you need.

Also, make sure you have included special assistance on your booking as this may well help when tying to sort your seats.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:55 am
Siz
Original Poster

Thank you both. Special assistance was selected. I hoped that calling both airlines would mean they could check us out and I’m again but both sides claim they can’t access the bits as it’s the other airlines booking/plane! Guess it’s a sleepless night and fingers crossed arriving early at the airport tomorrow. Glad we’ve 2 of us in row 6 as a fallback!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Agreed with your daughter being deaf I think the airport staff will move hell & high water to sort it out. If it comes down to CC needing to request another pax to move seats then in this case I'd at least hope that not even the most cold hearted 'barsteward' would refuse such a request & even if they did then the 'operational / safety/ security needs' card can be used by IB and said pax would be politely told to move. I can empathise with the stress but I imagine it will be fine on the day.

As you have said her age alone means that steps WILL be taken to have her sat with at least one of you with the good will of other pax.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Siz
I hoped that calling both airlines would mean they could check us out and I’m again but both sides claim they can’t access the bits as it’s the other airlines booking/plane!
Try calling Iberia again. It looks like you got a lazy agent the first time. Iberia would not process any changes, but offloading you (canceling your check-in) is something only Iberia can do regardless that you booked the flight as a BA flight. Try calling again and asking to be offloaded (without going into too much detail as to the reasons). And good luck. I am sure everything will work out but can understand how stressed you are over this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Siz
Thank you both. Special assistance was selected. I hoped that calling both airlines would mean they could check us out and I’m again but both sides claim they can’t access the bits as it’s the other airlines booking/plane! Guess it’s a sleepless night and fingers crossed arriving early at the airport tomorrow. Glad we’ve 2 of us in row 6 as a fallback!
Goodness, don't have a sleepless night on this! If you can be at the airport 2 hours before departure then this will be sorted out one way or the other. You could try using the IB App to see if that helps, unlike the BA App it allows changes after check-in, but I wouldn't try too hard.

This is IB3172 MAD to LHR on a A320, and though it's a busy flight I don't think it's full. Row 17 for example has only one passenger in it, row 7 has A, B and C available, row 4 and the exit rows are empty, as are some seats at the back.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:17 am
Siz
Original Poster

THANK YOU so much CWS, the Iberia app worked, although my daughter couldn’t move !! What a relief & thank you everyone else!
corporate-wage-slave and Row9 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.