Search

Moved schedule, award flight. Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Moved schedule, award flight. Hotel?

Ive got a hkg lhr kef award (using asiamiles) in late nov.
now the lhr kef sector is delayed by a day (original day seems to be cancelled, or totally blocked off).
i am wondering if ba would take the hotel bill in london? (I would have booked a refundable rate in kef in any case for the first night at this point, so any travel insurance wouldnt be helpful)
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No BA won't cover something like that.

Is your originally booked flight to KEF still operating? If it has been cancelled are there other BA flights to KEF that day? I don't quite understand the comment about your flight being delayed by a day? What did you originally book and if that has been cancelled were you just automatically been moved to another day?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Interestingly if you read EU 261 if the flight is cancelled at any time after booking there is still the duty of care, right to rebook etc. I could not see any time delay on this being removed. There might be a fight to get it...

Please correct me if I am wrong on that.
kaka and orbitmic like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Interestingly if you read EU 261 if the flight is cancelled at any time after booking there is still the duty of care, right to rebook etc. I could not see any time delay on this being removed. There might be a fight to get it...

Looking at it you may be right!

I am still not sure if a stay is required, there are two flights a day to KEF from LHR and also on some days a flight from LCY. I would have thought if a flight has been cancelled in November there may be some possibility to accommodate on another flight - but I think until more details are given about what was booked and what has happened we can't really advise on this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by KARFA
Looking at it you may be right!

I am still not sure if a stay is required, there are two flights a day to KEF from LHR and also on some days a flight from LCY. I would have thought if a flight has been cancelled in November there may be some possibility to accommodate on another flight - but I think until more details are given about what was booked and what has happened we can't really advise on this.
I was really surprised about this when I had to read about it.
But there is no limit on the duty of care on a cancelled flight or for the reason of the flight cancellation so no matter how much notice you are give, duty of care is always due.
So from what I read if you can no longer make the onward connection that day then hotel and meals etc are payable by the airline.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I would think they need to provide you a hotel, if they can't reroute you same day. Before you speak to them, would you want the overnight in London - they would probably be willing to push your HKG-LHR flight back a day (and maybe any return trip you have too).

The right to care is on their website too https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...n-compensation

If you want to request a change of flight though, be prepared for it to not be simple. It might be helpful to call BA to understand their policy, but they likely won't change your CX-issued ticket. CX might tell you they can only move you to flights with reward availability, in which case you have to explain what BA would offer you and insist they contact BA (oneworld liaison?) to have the switch permitted.
kaka likes this.

Last edited by pauldb; Aug 16, 2018 at 9:36 am
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY

This has always been my understanding too. If a flight cancellation results in a forced overnight, then the airline should pick up the tab under the Reg. This happened once with my parents with Lufthansa and when I spoke to Lufthansa on their behalf, they accepted as a matter of course without discussion that they would reimburse the extra hotel night. Things would be different, it seems to me, if the airline offered to reroute the passenger a day later from HKG so as to avoid the forced overnight. In the absence of this, however, I would request the airline to either provide overnight accommodation or refund the cost of it if they do not want to procure it themselves.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
No BA won't cover something like that.

Is your originally booked flight to KEF still operating? If it has been cancelled are there other BA flights to KEF that day? I don't quite understand the comment about your flight being delayed by a day? What did you originally book and if that has been cancelled were you just automatically been moved to another day?
it seems cancelled n we r moved to the next day - at least i cant make a rev booking for lhrkef (a wed late nov n a fri early dec suffers the same at least)

thanks for all the other replies- i would expect (and hopefully ba wont moan too much about it) to be given hotel - it would be good to settle some of the jetlag too. And hving lived in london before i will have things to do in london

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.