Wiki Posts
Search

JFK equipment changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
JFK equipment changes

Anyone know what's going on with equipment changes? I've got a return trip LHR-JFK in Oct and a one-way in Nov. All were 747 CW bookings where I'd managed to get 64K - now all are 777 with seats somewhere in the middle of the massive cabin Appreciate its still CW, but a pretty disappointing reduction in the experience. I was following the HKG thread and saw that although they don't have to under the CoC, some folks have had success swapping flights - any thoughts as to whether (2-3 months out) the current equipment choices are now locked (barring unforeseen issues)?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
My JFK-LHR flight in Jan has changed to a 777, so no 64K for me now and not sure where to sit. The window seats do look a bit claustrophobic.

BA won't let me move flights. They have previously when the times changes by 15 minutes, but they are the same for this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Yep lack of window storage means much more cramped window seat. Unfortunately have realised this was an Avios.com redemption so BAEC call centre can't even discuss it just now. Ironically this is the much more expensive flight time than the other flights each day too, so would be more revenue for them if they moved me! Never a fan of aisle seat with folks stepping over you at night so probably will stick with 11A both ways
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:51 am

One of my bookings from JFK has just changed from 777 to 747 - meaning that I've gone from a poor F product to a very poor F product and to top it off, the only 'single' seats available in the cabin is 1A or 1K
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
We have been affected by the HKG swap. IMHO these changes are down to under investment of new aircraft by BA and the advanced years of the airframes is taking it's toll on the fleet, and even newer airframes (B787/9) have engine issues. Hence all the wet leases. We also have a trip via DOH in Feb and that's is supposed to be an B789 but we are expecting that to be changed\cancelled.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
One of my bookings from JFK has just changed from 777 to 747 - meaning that I've gone from a poor F product to a very poor F product and to top it off, the only 'single' seats available in the cabin is 1A or 1K
Hopefully this is witty sarcasm. Otherwise I'm just speechless at the spoiled undertones on display here.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Originally Posted by charlieboy77
Hopefully this is witty sarcasm. Otherwise I'm just speechless at the spoiled undertones on display here.
Or another interpretation (don't know which is the right one) is that rossmacd isn't Gold, so the only available single seats are ones he is unable to select?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:25 am

No sarcasm whatsoever, nor any spoiled attitude. My dislike of the cramped BA 747 F is well known on this board.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by thejohn
We have been affected by the HKG swap. IMHO these changes are down to under investment of new aircraft by BA and the advanced years of the airframes is taking it's toll on the fleet ...
HKG has changed from 1x388 + 1x77W each day to 1x77W + 1x388 each day. The oldest 77W has just turned 8, and the oldest 388 has just turned 5.

It's therefore quite hard to see how you could rationally blame this change on underinvestment or on the age of the aircraft.

The JFK changes for NW 2018/9 rang a bell, and it looks like they were made in June: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post29830418
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze
This thread got my hopes up - booked 747 to/from JFK Dec/Jan the outbound was changed to a 772.
For one moment I thought it might have reverted to 747.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Agreed here. I would be happy to fly on first class on any airline or aircraft. And to get an unexpected 747 would be even more of a treat. That would make my year getting 1A on a BA 744!
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
HKG has changed from 1x388 + 1x77W each day to 1x77W + 1x388 each day. The oldest 77W has just turned 8, and the oldest 388 has just turned 5.

It's therefore quite hard to see how you could rationally blame this change on underinvestment or on the age of the aircraft.

The JFK changes for NW 2018/9 rang a bell, and it looks like they were made in June: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post29830418
oh! they are quite young in age but not so on the inside unless I've been unlucky they look much older (read shabby) That's if we fly on a 77W and not 772ER. It seems that the average age of all the BA 777 fleet is around 16years.
John
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by thejohn
That's if we fly on a 77W and not 772ER.
The 77W is what flies to HKG.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:45 am

Same happened to me was 64K on BA174 and got notified a couple of months ago to a change to 777 in 10A. Disappointing as I was swithering between the 747 and the AA 777 when I booked. Called BA but they advised they wouldn't change.

Originally was a High J so maybe due to the refurbishment on this sub fleet

Last edited by Cw novice; Aug 16, 2018 at 11:46 am Reason: Further info
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missdimeaner
This thread got my hopes up - booked 747 to/from JFK Dec/Jan the outbound was changed to a 772.
For one moment I thought it might have reverted to 747.
Oops, sorry!
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Same happened to me was 64K on BA174 and got notified a couple of months ago to a change to 777 in 10A. Disappointing as I was swithering between the 747 and the AA 777 when I booked. Called BA but they advised they wouldn't change.

Originally was a High J so maybe due to the refurbishment on this sub fleet
Yep, esp annoying as Hi J has great screens, plus of course 747 has oodles of storage at the window. I must say if booking cash or straight Avios I'd pick AA going Westbound - it's a pain to have to connect T5 to T3 but I find it a much better hard product. Eastbound I'm less convinced thanks to a previous experience spending a night aimlessly wandering round JFK whilst AA kept delaying the flight in two hour chunks through to the following morning, with (of course) no EU261 compensation either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.