Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rate says 'No breakfast' - true for Gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, HH Gold, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold, Avis President's Club, Hertz Pres Cir

I saw this rate for Hilton Maidstone, Kent (UK):

"HILTON HONORS MEMBER RATE. NO BREAKFAST"

... about £20 cheaper than the next best available.

Does the 'no breakfast' rule also apply to Gold HH members? Or should that still be honoured regardless?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
No breakfast is included in the rate the breakfast benefit from your status will still be given t you.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, HH Gold, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold, Avis President's Club, Hertz Pres Cir
Originally Posted by blitzen
No breakfast is included in the rate the breakfast benefit from your status will still be given t you.
Ok great, thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would call the hotel to confirm what it means.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Official response from Hilton, for those interested:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding Honors Gold benefits. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Yes, you may still receive breakfast as a Gold member if you set your MyWay hotel benefits to receive breakfast. You can modify your MyWay hotel benefits preference by going to My Account > My account page > My Profile > MyWay Hotel Benefits.

In addition, please make sure to book directly with Hilton as reservations booked through outside channels such as third party website or travel agency are ineligible for Honors benefits and Honors credits.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:30 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by anothertraveler
Official response from Hilton, for those interested:
Hilton, or the actual hotel? Anyway there wasn't any need to contact the hotel.

Provided that you choose breakfast instead of the 1000 points, it's a waste of money for a Gold member to book a rate that includes breakfast.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by Baze
I would call the hotel to confirm what it means.
No need - the benefits give the breakfast, not the room rate.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
No need - the benefits give the breakfast, not the room rate.
But it is strange wording, I always see rates that say breakfast included. I have never seen a rate say breakfast not included. And what's the harm in calling or texting or tweeting the hotel for clarification? None that I see and it can remove any confusion. Would be disappointing to change your my way to give breakfast and find out, for whatever reason, this particular rate excluded any form of breakfast. Shouldn't happen but can you say with 100% certainty that there is not some loophole that makes it so can't get your my way benefit? I would rather find out ahead of time and nip it in the bud before I get there than fight the hotel after I get there and try and get breakfast.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Baze
But it is strange wording, I always see rates that say breakfast included. I have never seen a rate say breakfast not included. And what's the harm in calling or texting or tweeting the hotel for clarification? None that I see and it can remove any confusion. Would be disappointing to change your my way to give breakfast and find out, for whatever reason, this particular rate excluded any form of breakfast. Shouldn't happen but can you say with 100% certainty that there is not some loophole that makes it so can't get your my way benefit? I would rather find out ahead of time and nip it in the bud before I get there than fight the hotel after I get there and try and get breakfast.
But if your member benefits say breakfast then breakfast it is.

How can it exclude any sort of breakfast? I am not aware of benefits saying 'breakfast unless the rate says no breakfast'.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How can it exclude any sort of breakfast? I am not aware of benefits saying 'breakfast unless the rate says no breakfast'.
And I am not aware of any rate ever saying breakfast not included. so what's your point?

I don't understand why you keep fighting this. It was just a suggestion to clear up any confusion. Wouldn't be the first time a hotel tried to renege on stated benefits. But be my guest and you can show up and then have to fight to get your benefits when a quick phone call could have cleared it up. And if it is the hotel trying to get out of providing a benefit you can deal with it before you get there or go somewhere else. Maybe hotel is trying to start something like the airlines are doing with basic economy where they limit benefits and such on the cheapest tickets.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

No fighting from me
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:50 pm

Unless they are trying to be like the airlines ...
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other thing that makes it so I would call the hotel is it specifically says Hilton Honors Member Rate, No Breakfast.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. The ambiguity is exactly why I was confused. It makes sense that generally selecting a room rate that doesn't include breakfast is the way to go, but since this one specifically said "no breakfast", I didn't know whether it meant.
  1. Rates normally include breakfast, and this is offered at a discount specifically because it doesn't. HH benefits still apply.
  2. No breakfast under any circumstances - benefits or not.
I thought the wording was particularly odd - especially, as Baze said, because it's a HH member rate.

HH staff confirmed the benefits should still apply, but that wording seems particularly open to interpretation so I guess I'll find out on the day!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:34 pm

In many parts of the world, breakfast is expected as part of a standard hotel room rate, so the clarification of "no breakfast" could be useful.

I'm not aware of any Hilton properties excluded from the requirement to offer breakfast of some sort (even if just a coffee and bagel) to Gold/Diamond guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.