Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

“Taking your bike to Lyon or Geneva?“. Er, no.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

Weird email just received from BAEC :

Information about your upcoming flight

Dear Customer,

Thank you for making your recent booking with British Airways.

This year there are an unprecedented number of cycling events taking place simultaneously in France in the first few weeks of July.

As a result, we may need to accommodate a large number of bikes on board our flights to and from Lyon and Geneva during this period.

If you are travelling with a bike to or from these destinations and you haven’t already done so, please contact us at least 72 hours prior to your departure date. If you have booked your flight through a travel agent or third party, please contact them directly.

We are restricted by how much space there is on board each flight and this information will help us to do what we can to ensure that your bike arrives in time.

You can find more information on the carriage of bikes, including instructions for packing your bike on ba.com.

If you have made this booking on behalf of someone else or if it includes other travellers, please ensure everyone intending to travel with a bike is aware of this request.

Thank you for your understanding.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.
I haven’t made any bookings recently, nor do I have any to Lyon or Geneva.

Any explanations for this apparent muppetry ?
florens likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Tour de France route this year takes in the area. Lots of cyclists follow it - as to why you would get an email, BA IT at its finest
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Weird email just received from BAEC :

I haven’t made any bookings recently, nor do I have any to Lyon or Geneva.

Any explanations for this apparent muppetry ?
Are you overweight like some of us flyertalkers are? Perhaps BA is starting a fitness program for us based on consumption of champers
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Got the same email...
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Not bike related but I have been getting actual e-mails from BA saying they have saved my search for flights, which I did search for on the Swedish site, but the price shown is not in SEK as originally searched for but in Ł.

Example was a CW fare out and WT+ back which prices up at 15,000 SEK but shows as just over Ł15,000 sterling!

I have been finding ba.com very slow in the last few weeks/month including reward searching and seems patchy elsewhere at times.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Maybe this is actually a subliminal form of advertising to tempt you into an unnecessary trip to France or Switzerland. It's got us all talking and thinking about it now, so it's half worked.

Or maybe the TLV fare loading chap/chapess has been moved to another department...
lavajava likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Going to Geneva in December and received the letter. Looking forward to seeing how they fit bike racks on an A320
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I'm beginning to wonder if these "mistake" emails are a new form of marketing. I get quite a few from various companies, followed a few hours or days later by a "Sorry, we sent you an incorrect email. What we meant to say was blah, blah.blah...". It generally means I read it, when I would normally just ignore.

I got one from nPower the other day saying something along the lines of "You previously registered your interest in having a smart meter installed. This is just to let you know that your area is not yet being done, but we will get to you, please be patient". Of course, I had a smart meter fitted almost a year ago by nPower!

2 days later : "Sorry, we sent you an incorrect email. You have obviously already had a smart meter fitted. What we meant to say was...."
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Silver
I got a pre-departure email recently about my 'upcoming' flight. Sadly the flight it was referring to isn't until mid November, so I couldn't help but feel that the email was somewhat premature :-)
Don't think that their IT is the best really.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Marmotte and the Etape du Tour are the two biggies, many thousands of riders in each of those, although when I rode the Etape it was a package deal with flights on a LCC. Some companies arrange land based bike transport a few days either side of the event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.