Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MCI-SAN by AS then Hawaiian Airlines to Kauai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCI-SAN by AS then Hawaiian Airlines to Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

MCI-SAN-HON-LIHUE 1 ticket

Long time reader, now first time poster.
Im flying MCI-SAN by AS then Hawaiian Airlines to Kauai this Saturday. Question - can I check my bags all the way through to Kauai?

I’m flying into SAN with 1 hour layover. AS arrives in Terminal 1, and I’ll need to run to Terminal 2 to catch the Hawaii flight.

Will I have time to get off AS and run to terminal 2 and board less than half hour?
Thanks.

Last edited by Deaf Flyer; Feb 19, 2018 at 6:44 pm
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Welcome to Flyertalk and congratulations on coming out of the Shadows. That's an awfully tight connection and you'll have no protection incase of late arrival.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
As long as AS and HA have an interline agreement, AS should be able to check the bags through. Whether they will is another matter--an AS agent at PDX checked my suitcase through to MEL on QF without even blinking, but I'm not sure if you'll get the same service at a small outstation like MCI.

And yeah, that connection is far tighter than I'd ever book across two tickets. Good luck.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

I understand that. I bought the flights last July I believe and everything was booking fast and I didn’t want to get a red eye flight. I’m also a little slow walking due to a disability. Do you think if I tell the ticket agent desk, the flight ticket checkin agent that I will need help once I land in SAN getting to Hawaii flight they’ll get me a golf cart and radio ahead that I’m coming? Thanks.

Originally Posted by jinglish
As long as AS and HA have an interline agreement, AS should be able to check the bags through. Whether they will is another matter--an AS agent at PDX checked my suitcase through to MEL on QF without even blinking, but I'm not sure if you'll get the same service at a small outstation like MCI.

And yeah, that connection is far tighter than I'd ever book across two tickets. Good luck.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I've never seen a golf cart at SAN. AS wont have a way to contact Hawaiian. I'm surprised they even sold it since MCT (listed below) from AS T1 to another carrier in T2 is listed as 1hr 15 min minimum. Even if it followed **-HA 1.00 note that minimum and sensible are two different things. Re-clearing TSA is not very fun either.

Originally Posted by expertflyer

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .30 1.00 1.30 1.00
OFFLINE .30 1.00 1.30 1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
**-HA DD 1.00
AS-** DD 1.15 TRM 1 - 2
AS-** DD 1.00
**-** DD 4.00 INTER CLD - SAN
**-** DD 4.00 INTER SAN - CLD
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by CDKing
I've never seen a golf cart at SAN. AS wont have a way to contact Hawaiian. I'm surprised they even sold it since MCT (listed below) from AS T1 to another carrier in T2 is listed as 1hr 15 min minimum. Even if it followed **-HA 1.00 note that minimum and sensible are two different things. Re-clearing TSA is not very fun either.
I don't think "they" sold it. Sounds like 2 tickets. But i agree, if this was somehow sold by an OTA, the OP is strongly advised to contact the OTA for re-accomodation, citing that the flights do not meet MCT between HA and AS at SAN. OTA will thus be obligated to offer the OP something new at the same price to get them from MCI to LIH.

T1 and T2 are physically separated at SAN. It will take a minimum of 20 minutes to get off the AS flight, out of T1, and reach the checkpoint at T2 if completely able-bodied. Even with precheck, the prospect of making this if the bags are checked through is very unlikely. If the bags are not checked through, it will be completely impossible to even make the bag check cutoff for HA which is probably 45 mins before dep.

Assuming these are separate tickets, I'd call AS and see if you can sweet talk them into putting you on the day previous flight and grab a hotel near SAN. Hotels in the Little Italy neighborhood are often cost effective and very convenient to the airport. Plus, there are plenty of awesome restaurants...
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Ok..after reading several comments I decided to call the source. I called AS reservations and explained my questions. They said AS is one of the few that HA will accept checked bags through from AS. They said if I reversed the order HA to AS, then I’d have to pull bags and go through everything all over again. So that’s settled.

I asked about wheelchair assistance and AS said that a wheelchair will be there in SAN when I get off. AS instructed me to notify AS ticket desk agent, at MCI to call HA in SAN that I’m coming and to not give away my seats. AS also instructed me to notify AS in SAN to radio HA ticket desk that I’ve arrived and I’m coming.

I called HA reservations as well. They pretty much said the same thing more or less.

I know airports is a is a busy place, communication might not happen and you might say that’s a pipe dream, but I gotta at least try right??

thoughts?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:50 pm

good luck. Hopefully you will arrive early and have a backup plan in case you don't make it.

I'm guessing you're on separate tickets for the 2 flights? If that's the case you can't expect any assistance if you miss the connection for any reason. So in case something goes wrong, you'll need a plan to help yourself and contact Hawaiian if you are going to miss the connection.

AS sold me a 30 minute connection in SAN, though it's AS-AS. I booked it as it's not critical if I miss the connection in SAN and I can overnight in SAN if I have to and it's on a single ticket.

-David
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
None of this helps OP if he no shows for his HA flight. His ticket will be cancelled and it will retain whatever value it retains under its fare rules.

I would never book separate tickets without allowing at least 2-3 times the MCT because I am taking all of the risk.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Best of luck to the OP, but it does sound like a brutal connection booked. Unclear if this was booked on an Online Travel Agency, or if this was two different reservations however.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Many airlines (most?) have a policy that the door closes 10 minutes before the scheduled departure. So published you have 30, but in reality you have 20. I am not even sure sometimes you will be off the plane that fast - and then to clear a security line in another terminal? if you are on the same airline they'll know about those connecting passengers. Here, not so. I think you better hope the first flight is early and the second flight is late. Skeptical you'll make it.

And if you wait for a wheelchair, those folks are often the last off the plane.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am also highly skeptical of the blithe assurances of both AS and HA phone agents who assert that there will be a wheelchair at the gate and that AS will call over to HA to have the seats and aircraft held.

As to the former, one is at the mercy of a local contractor who may or may not show up as requested. As to calling the departure gate of another carrier regarding a separate ticket just as the GA's are presumably winding up boarding, that is far-fetched and even more far-fetched is that the HA GA's would do anything.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
AS should reject the bag for interline if the connection is not legal.

I do not see a SAN-LIH on HA that day. I see SAN-HNL with a 1 hour connect from AS, which is barely legal.

**-HA DD 1.00

Please tell us EXACTLY what flights you are on, and EXACTLY how and where you booked these if you want specific input. Otherwise what you got, you might make it, you might not make it, they might check your bag, they might not, is all the assurance you're going to get.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Often1
None of this helps OP if he no shows for his HA flight. His ticket will be cancelled and it will retain whatever value it retains under its fare rules.
I know that’s technically the policy, but in practice do they always do that? I have a friend whose (ex)-wife had an incredibly casual attitude towards scheduling, and she showed up at the airport a couple hours after her flights departed more than once. They always just put her on the next flight, and this was UA (hardly known for customer service).
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
This is crazy! What someone at AS says over the phone and what happens at the airport are two different and many times unrelated things. To be blunt, you are going to miss this flight. I urge you to try and change this so you come in to SAN earlier and spend the night prior. Hawaii vacations are too expensive to spend them in an airport terminal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.