Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Never Received a Boost Offer, Though Told I Should

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never Received a Boost Offer, Though Told I Should

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down Never Received a Boost Offer, Though Told I Should

I am a very loyal AA customer and have been for years. Reaching Executive Platinum was important to me; so important I often paid more or went out of my way to use American as opposed to other airlines. I called twice last month regarding my status and was assured twice by the AA Advantage desk that based on my completed travel at that time that I would receive a boost offer to pay to upgrade to EP if I didn't reach the required miles on my own. On each call I reiterated the importance and my ability to use AA for New Years travel, purchase miles, etc. and each time I was told, "Oh no, you're good. You will definitely receive an offer" I waited and an offer never came. Finally I called and the representative referred me to AA.com/boost. I did so but there was no offer available. I then called back and the rep pulled up my account and based on what she saw told me, "that doesn't make sense that you didnt receive an offer based on your travel, let me try on my end, maybe something is wrong". She then contacted a supervisor who informed me I would have to wait until next year. I was very unhappy. He told me that although he apologized for the repeated misinformation from AA employees, there was simply nothing he could do and offered me 5k bonus miles. This is simply unacceptable. I don't want 5k bonus miles. I want what I was promised multiple times, the boost offer I was assured was on the way. Anyone else have this issue? More importantly, anyone have any success in rectifying the issue?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
What did you end 2017 with as far as status/EQM/EQD/EQD goes?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
What did you end 2017 with as far as status/EQM/EQD/EQD goes?
+1

if you didn’t fly and or spend enough for EXP then it is what it is.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Sounds like divine intervention to me.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by James Deweese
I want what I was promised multiple times ...
If you didn't get it in writing, you weren't promised anything. Oldest lesson in the book.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have learned not to rely on the possibility of receiving an offer for something that is really important to me.
AAExpDFW likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am very surprised that you received a commitment from a front-line agent. That is completely contrary to the way the program operates. Without knowing what you did earn and how far off the mark you were, it may well be that in the various agents' experience you were a likely candidate for an offer. But, the offer is entirely discretionary and is made via an algorithm which you apparently did not meet.

After all, why go through the charade of Boost if all that is needed is for the agent to take a CC payment from you and reassign you to EXP?

If you were outright promised a Boost offer, why not send a short note (short = not one word more than 3 short declarative sentences) to AA asking that it review the call recordings and based on the agents' commitments, make you an offer.

Even then, as you can see from the t&c for AA, agents do not have the authority to change the program's conditions, but perhaps AA will throw you a bone.

The only way to be assured of a status is to meet its criteria.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The only way to be assured of a status is to meet its criteria.
Amen to that.

EXP cannot be important enough to you since you didn't fly enough to qualify.
CPRich, thunderlounge and asf-07 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: LH HON
Take your written statement and get back to AA. If you don't have that - welp, seems like you're out of luck.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:56 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by James Deweese
I am a very loyal AA customer and have been for years. Reaching Executive Platinum was important to me; so important I often paid more or went out of my way to use American as opposed to other airlines.
... receive a boost offer to pay to upgrade to EP ...
A few years ago, EXP status had a lot more value than it does today. But we live in today, not the past. If you start with the value of today's EXP, then subtract out the fee AA typically charges for the "boost", then subtract out the extra cost of blindly choosing AA over cheaper alternatives ... the cost savings are small or perhaps non-existent. So, if we're trying to find something to stress out over, make is something big. Missing EXP is certainly a smaller thing than it was a few years ago.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
So, if we're trying to find something to stress out over, make is something big. Missing EXP is certainly a smaller thing than it was a few years ago.
So you're saying OP's opinion doesn't matter? Believe it or not, different people value things differently.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:49 am

Did you fly at least 85k EQM? I don't think anyone got EXP offers until they hit 85k, regardless of spending.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:10 am

Not sure paying over $2000 for a boost offer is a good idea. Just put that towards 2018 qualification.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
I mean I understand people have different thoughts, values on things etc. For me, if I was actually paying for most of my travel I would be doing so on different factors that would spread my spend all around. I enjoy the perks of status no question, but to me personally again, it's really not all that worth it. I would go with value for money, schedule, and convenience personally. I would not buy on AA just to reach a certain status and get perks. I am not suggesting that's your only reason, but it's clear it's a major factor. I honestly reached my status on chance/circumstances more than intention.

Obviously this doesn't seem to be the case for you OP. I am also curious to your EQM and EQD. If you weren't far off on either you likely would have been better finding some good deals and doing some mileage runs rather than counting on a boost, that to be honest depending on how close you are is not that good of a deal at times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.