Wiki Posts
Search

Is priority pass worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade
Is priority pass worth it?

It's a lot cheaper than Koru Club. $99US year fee and $27US each visit (companion charged also) or $249US with 10 visits or $399US all you can use. Auckland, Wellington, Queenstown is listed with lounges. I usually use Wellington, Auckland and then overseas. I have the flexibility to travel when I want so I can grab the cheap fares, cheap fares don't accrue points with Asiana which gets Star Gold easily. With the same flight, same date, same seat, same food it is difficult to pay $1,599 when I can pay $799.

Like to know your thoughts. If you had to, would you pay for it?

Cheers.

Edit, the flexibility is also I can even travel on Jetstar, China Southern or Air Asia and can still use Priority Pass. Can't take a buddy in however. More lounge selections than Koru also.

Last edited by rayonline; Jan 19, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I don't see a listing for Wellington.
The other lounges are only for International flights. No help for domestic flights. Koru Club is really aimed at domestic travelers.
I would sign up for a credit card that includes Priority Pass.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Ok, not Wellington PP, it's Christchurch.
Koru Club cannot get into partner lounges right?

Thing is the credit card that I know has the PP is the Amex card with the $1250 annual fee. The other Amex AirNZ Plat card only at least now provide 2 complimentary vouchers a year. The Westpac Black card prob has a higher annual fee to compensate also, isn't it also invitation only.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The WIAL Corporate Box lounge was PP. That shuttered (from memory) around the end of 2012.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:43 pm

I may be wrong, but I believe the Amex airnz Plat gives 2 complimentary passes to the SYD Amex lounge IN ADDITION TO a PP.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bub001
I may be wrong, but I believe the Amex airnz Plat gives 2 complimentary passes to the SYD Amex lounge IN ADDITION TO a PP.

Correct. I don't really go to AU though.
  • Enjoy 2 complimentary passes per year into VIP lounges6 with Priority Pass™, including the Emperor Lounge at Auckland International Airport
  • You'll also enjoy 2 complimentary passes per year to The American Express Lounge5at Sydney International Airport next time you cross the Tasman
Fine print (5) says the cardholder can bring a complimentary guest between the ages of 2-17yrs old. Other guests may have a charged added to their Amex.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Credit card with priority pass

Originally Posted by rayonline
Ok, not Wellington PP, it's Christchurch.
Koru Club cannot get into partner lounges right?

Thing is the credit card that I know has the PP is the Amex card with the $1250 annual fee. The other Amex AirNZ Plat card only at least now provide 2 complimentary vouchers a year. The Westpac Black card prob has a higher annual fee to compensate also, isn't it also invitation only.
the one I use is Westpac World Mastercard with a fully refundable annual fees (meeting spending targets) .
You can take in a visitor free with the priority pass
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:12 pm

You say the Priority Pass is much cheaper than Koru but US$399 = NZ$550. A Koru membership is $629/yr + $255 to join, discounted to just $484 total with an eligible credit card (though you only actually need to know the promo code to get this discount, you don't actually need to have one of those cards). So for starters, the Koru membership is cheaper upfront. That's not to say that there are no catches, quite the opposite. For instance, Koru lounge access is only available on Air NZ ticketed and operated flights (with some exceptions), but they are available at most domestic airports. Contrast this with Priority Pass which only has 3 (international) lounges in NZ (none if you are flying domestically).

With that said, if you are flying internationally often then the Priority Pass is probably the better option (if you are not flying Air NZ and it's partners). If you're going to go the Priority Pass route though, you should also consider looking into DragonPass. If you search online you should be able to find a way to get one year membership, but with the joining fee waived (sign up for free Regus membership, then use the Regus website to give you a free DragonPass membership). Although no passes are included, you simply end up paying per visit, which works out to approximately NZ$30 / person the few times that I have used it. From memory, its lounge access is approximately the same as what you would get from Priority Pass, except with the benefit of it being much cheaper.

I was on the fence as to whether to renew my Koru membership earlier this year also. What pushed me to renew was remembering that it gives free seat select (again, with limited exceptions) and this meant that on two long-haul flights I managed to get a Sky Couch seat for free by changing my seat selection 24-hours out when the remaining seats are released. Sky Couches usually cost somewhere in the vicinity of $1299 one way. So I effectively got all of the lounge and other benefits (free bag anyone?), as well as saving approximately $2500 on sky couches. An absolute no brainer purchase for me. If anything, the Koru membership is too cheap.
Ellice and Beano like this.

Last edited by codyc1515; Jan 19, 2018 at 11:18 pm
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
If you are a member of a golf club, there is the Diners Club card (no annual fee) with free access to >500 lounges worldwide https://www.dinersclub.co.nz/card-se...lf-credit-card
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by codyc1515
You say the Priority Pass is much cheaper than Koru but US$399 = NZ$550.
Mostly international travelling. None of this is work related. If any domestic it is just a 2 day weekend to Auckland.

Yes, PP has the $399US with unlimited usage. Even the $249US is should be more than enough for me which has 10 passes.

Can the Koru Club be used in Tokyo Narita with the partner lounge? Yes, I have a Westpac Platinum card. I probably won't qualify for the World Card anyway.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:21 am

Hi, when it says including 10 passes and unlimited usage, can I have guest with me? Thank you.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:32 am

So what is he promo code for reduced Koru?
mcgma760 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Air GE, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by rayonline
Correct. I don't really go to AU though.
  • Enjoy 2 complimentary passes per year into VIP lounges6 with Priority Pass™, including the Emperor Lounge at Auckland International Airport
  • You'll also enjoy 2 complimentary passes per year to The American Express Lounge5at Sydney International Airport next time you cross the Tasman
Fine print (5) says the cardholder can bring a complimentary guest between the ages of 2-17yrs old. Other guests may have a charged added to their Amex.
Wow I did not realise this myself and had the Amex Air NZ Platinum card for years - how do you get the vouchers you mention? Not that I need them with acccess to NZ lounge in sydney however good to experience change sometimes...
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by atknz
Wow I did not realise this myself and had the Amex Air NZ Platinum card for years - how do you get the vouchers you mention? Not that I need them with acccess to NZ lounge in sydney however good to experience change sometimes...
There are no "vouchers" as such - your simply present your Amex card.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Air GE, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
There are no "vouchers" as such - your simply present your Amex card.
Ok great - thanks for that advice! They must record attendance electronically as OP mentioned 2 vouchers per year, I might try on next work trip in Feb...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.