Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: What happens to Aeroplan award tickets when personal bankruptcy is declared?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: What happens to Aeroplan award tickets when personal bankruptcy is declared?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Poster

What happens to Aeroplan award tickets when personal bankruptcy is declared?

What happens to airline tickets that are booked using aeroplan points when bankruptcy is declared? If I book a ticket using my aeroplan points and then am forced to declare personal bankruptcy is the ticket still valid? I’m thinking of flying from my home in Canada to a relative’s home in the US for a visit, but I’m concerned that I may not be able to fly if I’m bankrupt. Aeroplan’s T and C’s state that aeroplan membership goes away upon death or personal bankruptcy.

Last edited by 5313; Jan 19, 2018 at 1:00 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AC 75K
Whose bankruptcy? Airline, Aeroplan or yours?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by 5313
What happens to airline tickets that are booked using aeroplan points when bankruptcy is declared?
Welcome to FT.

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Whose bankruptcy? Airline, Aeroplan or yours?
If I was in the office right now I'd be getting some strange looks for laughing that much
ChrisA330 and Jumper Jack like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Legal or moral bankruptcy? In Somalia or Sri Lanka?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Let's say it's Aeroplan?
Any legal experts here can answer?

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Jan 19, 2018 at 11:57 am
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Let's say it's Aeroplan?
Any legal experts here can answer?
It depends on whether Aeroplan purchased the ticket prior to your use, or not. If they purchase the ticket when they release it, there is no issue. I don't know the true relationship between AE and AC, though.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
I think from a technical perspective it's an asset (prepaid) that you probably would have to declare to your trustee depending on value, especially if it was paid in the 12 months preceeding bankruptcy.

Reality - I would bet this stuff is never declared. But your best bet is to talk to a trustee for clarification.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by jazzsax
I think from a technical perspective it's an asset (prepaid) that you probably would have to declare to your trustee depending on value, especially if it was paid in the 12 months preceeding bankruptcy.

Reality - I would bet this stuff is never declared. But your best bet is to talk to a trustee for clarification.
Pretty much this. AP isn't going to cancel the ticket because they are never going to know, it's not like they check the bankruptcy files against their customer list every day. But the miles are an asset, and you would need to declare them and any use of them. They could be converted to gift cards, which could be used to settle some debt, so if you're talking about redeeming millions to prevent that from happening then expected to be questioned on it.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
And expect if you have creditors who are dicks... (LOL) that they would fight it with your trustee.

But honestly 99% of people don't claim them, nor report them to CRA on taxes as benefits earned.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I am a corporate trustee so I've never dealt with this before. Assuming that this is a personal bankruptcy (and not the bankruptcy of Aeroplan), theoretically it should be declared, but I am positive it never is, nor do I think the question is even asked by the trustee. It's likely something people don't consider to be an asset. I guess you could declare the value based on whatever gift cards you could redeem all of your points for and then reimburse the estate for that amount so that they don't need to form part of the assets. I'd be curious as to how a trustee would otherwise value the points.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I believe market value is now $0.04 per mile. Plus tax.

Obviously most get them for less than that. Usage varies. My last spend was only 1.8cpm after taxes, my next will be over 4cpm.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
It depends on whether Aeroplan purchased the ticket prior to your use, or not. If they purchase the ticket when they release it, there is no issue. I don't know the true relationship between AE and AC, though.
I think they (aeroplan tx) get paid via a regular reconciliation process. I know when I check via Saudia, my ticket status for my upcoming trips (not being taken for 2+ months from now) indicate paid.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
I'm guessing that is in the T & C because some individual decided at some point prior to filing BK to just buy an obscene amount of miles and know that the credit card that they used to pay for them would be wiped out in the BK and they'd be able to use the miles to travel and continue their lifestyle moving forward. It's horrible and morally awful, but it brings up something my wife's father always said "some people work really hard to not work."
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by 5313
What happens to airline tickets that are booked using aeroplan points when bankruptcy is declared? If I book a ticket using my aeroplan points and then am forced to declare personal bankruptcy is the ticket still valid? I’m thinking of flying from my home in Canada to a relative’s home in the US for a visit, but I’m concerned that I may not be able to fly if I’m bankrupt. Aeroplan’s T and C’s state that aeroplan membership goes away upon death or personal bankruptcy.
Nobody will ever even know to look for something like this IMHO.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Court: What is the (refund) value of this 160k mile J redemption for 8 people that you already booked?

You: Zero. honestly.

//yeah, i know, taxes and fees MIGHT be refundable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.