Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation options - need card number

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Cancellation options - need card number

Looking at options for cancelling an upcoming flight.
Went into MMB and clicked on cancellation options and it's asking me for the number of the card I paid the booking with.
Entered my debit card number and that's not the card I used. Ok, maybe I used my credit card. Tried that, and that's not the card I used.

Seems to be no issues if I want to change the dates for £50 or so but apparently I've paid for a booking using someone else's card. Either that or Paypal and that gives no options bar having to ring BA up yet again to do the simplest thing.
All I want to do is to see whether I would get any taxes back before I look at other options.

What actually determines what info they want? Looked at another booking the other day and no card details were needed for that one.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by xenole
All I want to do is to see whether I would get any taxes back before I look at other options.
Is the booking too complex for you to work that out for yourself?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
What actually determines what info they want? Looked at another booking the other day and no card details were needed for that one.
if you are doing something as drastic as cancelling a flight, then they need a little bit more info to prove that you are who you say you are. (Of course, anyone with malicious intent who is already privy to someone's booking details may find the threshold of providing the credit card number to be quite easy)

Merely looking at bookings doesn't require this step.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is the booking too complex for you to work that out for yourself?
Yes. Not great working these airline things out!
Not sure what they actually may give back as I don't have a full breakdown handy (nothing in the emails etc., just the total cost).
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
if you are doing something as drastic as cancelling a flight, then they need a little bit more info to prove that you are who you say you are. (Of course, anyone with malicious intent who is already privy to someone's booking details may find the threshold of providing the credit card number to be quite easy)

Merely looking at bookings doesn't require this step.
What I'm saying is that I have two sets of flights and one let's me see cancellation and change options without an issue, the other wants card details but won't accept them. It's only a LHR-DUS flight so nothing major at the end of the day.
The first is more expensive and has a connection so I would have thought that would have been better to protect from malicious intent.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
I also noticed I sometimes get asked for this and sometimes not even when doing the same thing (like cancelling in this case).

The only thing I can think of is maybe if you are logged into your BAEC it bypasses this step but if you just go to MMB without logging in it asks for this extra step?

I just tried to cancel an upcoming LHR-MAN ticket and it didn’t ask me for my credit card number. I was logged into my BAEC account at the time. Will try doing this via MMB without logging in when I get home and see if it then asks me.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes. Not great working these airline things out!
Not sure what they actually may give back as I don't have a full breakdown handy (nothing in the emails etc., just the total cost).
If search your emails with the phrase "Your e-ticket", the original e-ticket email will provide this information right at the end. The two exceptions are changed e-tickets, which may or may not have a tax change component, and RFS, where the taxes are subsumed into the RFS fee, unless they happen to be lower than the RFS fee (e.g. single triips departing Spain).

Otherwise if you go to the usual Check My Trip link you will also find the breakdown.

If you are doing this via the App rather than BA.com then you may find that going in via BA.com will avoid the credit card question. Alternatively search in the App for Avios redemptions, it will then ask for the BA.com password and at least for 15 minutes or so you will be logged fully into BA.com. Or just call up...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.