Tier Points Rip Off

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Tier Points Rip Off

I am a regular transatlantic flyer.
My latest flight was return LHR to YUL.
I have only been awarded half the tier points and avios miles on the return leg to the outward journey.
Class of ticket same in both directions. This has never happened before.
Is there a new rule I don't know about?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Hello and welcome to Flyertalk. Can you give us more information on this one? Which cabin did you fly in? Which booking class? How may points and Avios were you awarded? I'm assuming this was BA marketed and operated?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
In Economy the points vary by the booking class not the cabin of service. If the ticket booked into the O, Q or G buckets you receive only 25% of the tier points and Avios (so 20TP on this route). In Y, B or H would would have got 70 and for everything else 35. It’s been like that for a couple of years at least though of course it might be the first time your tickets have worked out that way.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
I'm sure this has happened before. Rarely does a new member post a true first here.

This is either an IT-glitch or there is something about the story you are not telling us. If you give us all the details, such as selling class etc we might be able to say for sure what the problem is.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It is not advisable to use terms like 'rip off' when there could be a valid explanation for the different figures.

There is more to tier point that fare class i.e. cabin. The fare bucket makes a difference.

It is quite possible that your outbound flight was in a different fare bucket than the inbound and that explains the different award.

In m your avios account what does it say on each line. It will be two letters after the journey details e.g. (C/D). Come back with that info for both legs and you'll get better advice.
Stez likes this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Oct 22, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi and Welcome to flyertalk and the BA forum!

If you log in to your BAEC account and look at your transactions there shluod be something like

LONDON HEATHROW- MONTREAL ( M/O)

Where M is the cabin ( World Traveller) and O is the Fare Code (O) and the fare code is likely to have changed between the outbound and return as earlier posters have commented.

If you post more details we can provide more guidance.

Regards

TBS
HilFly likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RubyRed1
Is there a new rule I don't know about?
Unlikely, but to follow-up on the comments above, the more information you can give the better, and anything that may have had an impact such as an upgrade or anything similar.

Welcome to Flyertalk RubyRed1 and welcome in particular to the BA forum. I hope we will see more from you, and I am fairly sure we can assist you find out what has gone on here. I hope you had a good time in Montréal, a very fine city.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for replying.
I see M/M on one leg and H/M on the other.
My previous bookings on this route have had same code in both directions.

Don't know why though as both directions were World Traveller and had no difference in restrictions, seat etc.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Whulst you were in WT your fares were is different fare buckets with different TP and avios.

The M/M earned you 35 tier points and a basic 1626 avios.

The leg with the H/M earned you 70 tier points and a basic 3252 avios.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:00 pm

Thank you all for replying.
I see M/M on one leg and H/M on the other.
My previous bookings on this route have had same code in both directions.

Don't know why though as both directions were World Traveller and had no difference in restrictions, seat etc.
Yep - that's your reason - M gets 35 points, H 70.

Basically - in World Traveller - the lowest codes get 20 points, middle codes 35 and top codes 70.

Because of the way booking works - you can end up on separate codes, but the same restrictions. Confusing but true.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

So how do you know when you book which fare bucket your flight is in?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
A decent travel agent will be able to tell you. So will most online travel agents. If I have a doubt about the fare bucket and the airline doesn't show it during booking I check with the ITA matrix or Expedia.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
If you are booking on ba.com you click on the flight number and a pop up will tell you.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
You can find it in the ba.com site when booking. Details here https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_gb
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
You can find it in the ba.com site when booking. Details here https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_gb
Whilst appreciating that this might be a bit of a niche interest, let's say someone discovered they were in the lowest bucket and wanted to fly Y but pay more for a higher bucket (e.g. for extra TP's) is that possible on BA.com or would you need to call up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.