Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First DL trip with PM status match challenge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

Hi all!

Just relocated to SEA, so applied for the DL Status Match with my BA Gold, have the challenge for PM for 18500 MQM. I have two SEA-CDG-DUB (CDG-DUB legs on AF) and return booked so should manage to get them

I am traveling in Y, and selected Y+ - I guess thanks to the fact that I show as PM.

I had couple of questions:
  1. As I am flying international and am a PM, I should get access to the SkyClub in SEA. I also believe I can guest someone in. Can the guest travel on any SkyTeam flight? Or does it have to be international? What about international the same day (i.e. SEA-XXX and XXX-DUB)?
  2. The status challenge explicitly states that I don't get reciprocal lounge access with other SkyTeam members. However, I don't see anything on my digital PM card (valid 'til mid January) that would state that... Will I still have access to the AF lounge in CDG, and the 3rd party lounge in DUB?
  3. I believe that PM don't get complimentary upgrades to D1 on transatlantic flights, that's for DM right? So a plane could leave with empty D1 seats? Is there any way to pay cash for airport upgrades for those?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
I'm surprised DL permits MQMs for a status challenge from " SkyMiles Partner Airlines ". UA credits only UA operated flights only for a status challenge.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:41 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I'm surprised DL permits MQMs for a status challenge from " SkyMiles Partner Airlines ". UA credits only UA operated flights only for a status challenge.
They didn't in the past. I suspect that the increased use of JVs mean that they get more value from partner flights in Tier 1 than they used to, so they're more willing to accept them as part of a status challenge.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by doudou91
  1. I believe that PM don't get complimentary upgrades to D1 on transatlantic flights
I don't know of any airline (certainly not DL) that gives complimentary upgrades on international long-haul without use of an upgrade instrument. (Except maybe CM, but that doesn't really count, since they don't have a true premium long-haul product.)

Originally Posted by CKDGM
I suspect that the increased use of JVs mean that they get more value from partner flights in Tier 1 than they used to, so they're more willing to accept them as part of a status challenge.
MQM earning on a DL challenge is not limited to Tier 1 carriers. It's all per the chart.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't know of any airline (certainly not DL) that gives complimentary upgrades on international long-haul without use of an upgrade instrument. (Except maybe CM, but that doesn't really count, since they don't have a true premium long-haul product.)

Yep, that was more an intro to my real question which is about paying for the upgrade at the airport or at check-in
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[*]I believe that PM don't get complimentary upgrades to D1 on transatlantic flights, that's for DM right? So a plane could leave with empty D1 seats? Is there any way to pay cash for airport upgrades for those?
There are no comp upgrades to D1. Delta Diamonds can select 4 Global Upgrade Certificates as a Choice Benefit which can be used on D1 flights, but they do not get unlimited upgrades to D1.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Since the status challenge states that you won’t get access to partner lounges you should assume that you won’t have lounge access at CDG. Often partner lounges want to see a “real” card, not a digital one. The AF lounges are not known for being flexible about the access rules.

Medallions usually do not get access to third-party lounges unless they are traveling in Delta One or a SkyTeam premium cabin, so you should not expect lounge access in Dublin either.

Others may comment if they have run into exceptions to the above.

AF sometimes sells upgrades to Business at the gate on flights between the US and CDG. DL will leave with empty D1 seats on international flights.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, that was more an intro to my real question which is about paying for the upgrade at the airport or at check-in
There is no official DL buy-up upgrade program. You might get an offer at check-in, but it appears to be largely random. If you ask an agent for a price, you will simply be quoted the fare difference. It's possible to upgrade with miles on international flights if you have a K or higher fare. There's no official chart, so you have to call DL for pricing.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:26 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
CDG is very straight forward with lounge access: If you are supposed to have access, you will get it.

Now, DL could limit the account of those who are enrolled in the status match and not transmit the info to the partner airlines.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Since the status challenge states that you won’t get access to partner lounges you should assume that you won’t have lounge access at CDG. Often partner lounges want to see a “real” card, not a digital one. The AF lounges are not known for being flexible about the access rules.

Medallions usually do not get access to third-party lounges unless they are traveling in Delta One or a SkyTeam premium cabin, so you should not expect lounge access in Dublin either.

Others may comment if they have run into exceptions to the above.

AF sometimes sells upgrades to Business at the gate on flights between the US and CDG. DL will leave with empty D1 seats on international flights.
im doubtful the physical card is necessary as golds only have digital cards

to the op, i doubt your skyteam status will have updated...i became gold a few weeks back and i have made 3 new reservations with skyteam partners and all are still showing me as silver so there is a long lag time and delta controls if skyteam status is updated
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by runningformqm
im doubtful the physical card is necessary as golds only have digital cards

to the op, i doubt your skyteam status will have updated...i became gold a few weeks back and i have made 3 new reservations with skyteam partners and all are still showing me as silver so there is a long lag time and delta controls if skyteam status is updated
When I was Gold, I had a lot of issues accessing lounges in Europe that didn't accept the digital card.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by SDQBound
When I was Gold, I had a lot of issues accessing lounges in Europe that didn't accept the digital card.
which ones? i just became gold and have two European trips coming up in the next couple months
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I'm wondering if this is one the reasons why DL continues to issue plastic SC membership cards, i.e. issues with AF/KLM.

So much for integrated benefits...
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:07 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
MQM earning on a DL challenge is not limited to Tier 1 carriers. It's all per the chart.
Right, but the best MQM earning (100% rather than reduced rates) is on Tier 1 partners and ISTM that pretty much all of those are JV deals (AM, AF/KL, AZ?, VA, VS) and/or equity stakes (MU, G3, possibly 9W at some point, as well as VS et al).

While I have no inside knowledge, I suspect the Tier 1 revenue sharing and ownership deals made it easier to accept partner MQMs as "real" for status challenges, and that decision then cascaded down to the lower-tier partners.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all !

I have a separate booking for another flight on AF, and it does show me as Platinum and one free bag because of that.

The physical card is interesting. I've never had to show it with BA, the first couple of times I tried to show it I always got told "Nah that's fine, it's coded on your boarding pass, don't need to see it".

Looks like SkyTeam is different... Will have to try, and we'll see !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.