Search

Downgrade or just paperwork issue?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Downgrade or just paperwork issue?

Hi,
Just tried to check in for my first F flight tomorrow from NRT to LHR and it won't let me download my boarding pass. Same problem for my wife.

Says my passport and visa must be checked at the airport and to please see a BA rep at the airport to collect the boarding pass there. Am a U.K. Passport holder so shouldn't have any visa issues etc

My booking is on a 241 Amex voucher redemption so I'm slightly concerned. Haven't not been able to download my boarding pass before - I remember there was an issue with the app a few weeks ago where people couldn't get their boarding passes - is it still a problem?
Is this just a formality paperwork wise or as it won't let me download my boarding pass should I be preparing myself for a downgrade?

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
It is more than likely a bug in BA's IT.

I had the same issue for a FCO - LHR flight last week despite having a UK passport in the system and having just completed a couple of flights to and from China where they hadn't required me to have a visa check.

The BA staff member who printed my boarding pass said it was an IT issue and as I was in the Flounge didn't check my passport.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:33 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
IIRC there are some routes B/Pass downloads are prohibited for (regardless of the nationality/passport) - LHR/SIN-SYD comes to mind.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TPJ
IIRC there are some routes B/Pass downloads are prohibited for (regardless of the nationality/passport) - LHR/SIN-SYD comes to mind.
That's certainly true for the App, there are quite a lot of destinations affected actually. But there is a clear and specific message shown in that situation and you can still use paper self printed boarding passes on almost (but not quite) all of them.

For this case, 1K still isn't taken, and it's selling F1, A0 on a 787-9, with some CW availability, so I don't think it's going to be oversold, albeit it is a busy flight. Looks like revenue management have priced this flight quite well given the data here, it's almost a perfect end point. Full selling classes for BA 6 on 30 April are:

F1 A0 J6 C0 D0 R0 I0 W2 E0 T0 Y9 B1 H1 K1 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

Moreover when people have been downgraded they have had a different message to this one, and weren't able to select seats (which I presume is OK here). This particular message seems to be quite random, and though we haven't had many recent reports, it has been sorted out without fuss at the airport.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, has put my mind at rest somewhat! (although that might just be the Hitachino Nest I'm drinking :-)
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I had this coming back from HKG on a 241 last week, although it said BA wanted to check my documents/visa it still stated both on the app and webpage that I was 'checked in' and seat assigned. Does your manage my booking tell you this?

Seems to be quite common these days.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antipest
I had this coming back from HKG on a 241 last week, although it said BA wanted to check my documents/visa it still stated both on the app and webpage that I was 'checked in' and seat assigned. Does your manage my booking tell you this?

Seems to be quite common these days.

Yes it does - hopefully all ok then.

Hope your flight back from
HKG was good, using a 241 at Xmas for that one!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If your checked in you should be fine, don't worry.

Flight was fine thanks. Food was dire but we know that!!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Should be ok.

When I was downgraded for my outbound to MLE, I couldn't checkin at all, told to report to Airport to check in.

On my return home I partially checked in and got your message, I believe because I'd had my passport renewed just before this trip and the original booking had my old details.

Flew home in booked class of travel, albeit delayed.....

Not the best flights I've ever had....
​​​
https://triprep.wordpress.com/britis...ld-experience/

Hope all goes well for you..
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

All fine once I got to the airport. Thanks to everyone for their help yesterday.
Currently in the lounge eating sushi and drinking champagne :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.