Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Washington (DC) on Capitol Hill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)

Has anyone stayed here before? Would you recommend it? I understand that it is kind of rundown and badly need of renovation...is this true?

Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:04 pm

The Hyatt Regency Capital Hill is so-so. If you are looking for a stay for the faster free nights, it is adequate. If not, the Hyatt Grand is much nicer for not that much more. Also, with the GP 2000 promotion, you get a nice point bonus at the Regency. Rooms are somewhat tired and dated, but not so much that I would change my reservation. My favorite feature is the plastic cups in the bathroom. The breakfast buffet is pretty good. Try the bread pudding. If you take the Metro, get off at the Union Square station and not Judiciary Square. The walk is less confusing and somewhat safer. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TPA_Flyer:
The Hyatt Regency Capital Hill is so-so. If you are looking for a stay for the faster free nights, it is adequate. If not, the Hyatt Grand is much nicer for not that much more. Also, with the GP 2000 promotion, you get a nice point bonus at the Regency. Rooms are somewhat tired and dated, but not so much that I would change my reservation. My favorite feature is the plastic cups in the bathroom. The breakfast buffet is pretty good. Try the bread pudding. If you take the Metro, get off at the Union Square station and not Judiciary Square. The walk is less confusing and somewhat safer. Hope this helps.</font>
How is the renovation of the Grand coming? Would you still pick the Grand during the renovation? Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 12:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by misfit:
How is the renovation of the Grand coming? Would you still pick the Grand during the renovation? Thanks.</font>
I stayed at the D.C. GH last month and didn't even notice the renovation, other than the memo they left in my room that was was happening. I believe they are limiting the actual work to regular business hours.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 12:18 pm

I have not stayed at the Grand since November, so I can't speak for it right now. There were some signs of construction when I was there, but there was little noise or inconvenience. In fact, the only time I heard any noise was when I had to go back to my room during the day. That said, I would pick the Grand over the Regency. Plus, the selection of dining and shopping is much better around the Grand. Make sure you ask for a room closer to the elevators. Otherwise, you could be in for a long walk.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Gld 1+MM,UA Exec Prem, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, AMEX Cent
Only stay here if you are needing to access Capitol Hill. There are other properties in this area that are nicer. A word to the wise, if you are here for a while and are of no status with Hyatt buy your breakfast and meals elsewhere. They will gouge your eyes on this, lets just say $5.99 glass of OJ. And it was from concentrate! Have fun

------------------
AA EXP,UA Exec Prem, HYATT GOLD, HILTON GOLD, SPG GOLD
Old Jan 18, 2003, 6:29 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Renard:

Has anyone stayed here before? Would you recommend it? I understand that it is kind of rundown and badly need of renovation...is this true?

Thanks
</font>

I stayed at the property over Labor Day and thought it was fine. The RC Lounge was closed but I got 2 coupons for the free Cont'l breakfast buffet. I was not impressed with either the American or Cont'l breakfast buffets but it was free, so I didn't mind.

As for my room, it was quite nice and recently rennovated. I was on the RC floor, I was told by the desk clerk. $26 for valet parking with in/out privs. It is true that it is not in as nice location as the PH and perhaps the Grand, but it is fairly close to the National Gallery of Art and other places on the mall.

Depending on the price of the room and the number of GP bonus points available, might sway where I were to stay. If I was going to get around town/metro area by car regardless of where I was to stay so that I would incur the $26 parking charge at any of the DC Hyatts, then I might stay there as opposed to the Grand, as I would not have to worry about taking the Metro from the JS area. By the way, getting off the Metro at Union Station may be less of a hassle, but the walk from there to the hotel looked a lot more frightening (esp. at night) than the one from the JS area.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:57 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
I just stayed at the Hyatt Capitol Hill Sat. night. It was ok but nothing great. I had a cheap PL stay, got assigned a room on 3rd floor next to the elevarors... Ok for my rate but I wouldn't pay much more.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 4:14 pm

Hyatt Regency Washington REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hi All,

did a search and most info seemed to be related to the Park or Grand Hyatts. Any recent experiences with the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill ?

Seems to be a pretty good location for sightseeing, also, they seem to have a decent nuimber of suites. Any experiences regarding upgrades for Diamond members. I booked via Hyatt.com.

Cheers
J
Old Aug 13, 2003, 8:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Was there last fall before I had Hyatt status. Can't help on upgrades, but its a wonderful location for walking sightseeing. Can be gotten withing a few blocks of by subway to Union Station.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 9:21 am

Just thought I would post a quick mini-report on this hotel to assist others who may search for info in the future.

In summary, not the best of stays. First of all, the regency club was closed, has been since the beginning of the year. Also, the rooms, while generously proportioned seem a little tired and worn. I was quite disapointed to not find a mini bar, considering the rooms on the regency club floor are supposed to be the nicest ones.

The hotel seemed a little low on staff, i.e. reception was never manned with more than one or two people, so there was often a slight queue.

The hotels main restaurant and lounge were also closed for renovation, meaning the only source of food and drink was the lobby bar/coffee shop or room service. Not really a problem, but I wish they would let people know in advance,via the hyatt.com website where I booked.

Location is excellent for sightseeing though and at a rate of 79$ via Hyatt.com, it was adequate.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:52 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Any updates on this property?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 7:24 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
This hotel had a full renovation two years ago...got upgraded once to a Capital Suite... Pics here... the RC is pretty nice and breakfast is good... no jacuzzi if I remember.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:55 pm

Keep in mind there is a fire station across the street. Especially if you stay in an east-facing room, be prepared to be jolted by a responding fire truck in the middle of the night.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Solid Hotel

Spent one Saturday night (August 18, 2007) here in a Regency Club king room.

I arrived at Union Station via the Acela, so I just walked the couple of blocks to the hotel. Early check-in at 11:00 was available, but they only had rooms with a connecting door. The helpful and competent front desk person explained that most of the King rooms on the club floor have a connecting door. She also offered me a regular room on the 4th floor or a double on the 8th. Even though I thoroughly loath connecting doors, I gave in and took the one she offered me on the 11th floor (away from the fire house).

The room had been refurbished within the past couple of years and was in pretty good condition. I must say this modern luxury – Crate & Barrel look is starting to get a bit old now. The room still had an old clunker tube TV. It also had a framed bed that was a real shin smasher. Ouch. The bathroom was small, but ok. Good shower head and adequate pressure.

The Regency Club was fairly small, but had a nice spread of food in the evening and morning. The food was of higher quality than I’m used to in a club lounge. Even the pastries were pretty good which is rare. Starbucks coffee too.

I don’t stay in many Hyatt hotels, so I’m not sure if this is normal, but I was struck by the courtesy and friendliness of the staff.

Overall a nice stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.