Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Tampa Hyatt Regency Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Leaving Hyatt 12/17/12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2002, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed here recently? I had heard that it had been renovated.

I'll be staying here on my next trip to Florida.

I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions on this property.

Thank you.
Old Jan 12, 2002, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Stayed there last year but not impressed. Not a good area of downtown but close to offices if on business. No Regency Club but did receive upgrade to one of the top floors. Diamond amenity kit was nice as was full breakfast, upgraded bathroom amenities as well but the hotel rooms smelled old and the hotel in general seemed run down. The staff tried hard with amenities but the hotel is among my least favorite Hyatts.

Rate was not very competitive and we enjoyed the Westshore Hyatt much more. Rent a car and stay outside of downtown unless staying at the Wyndham or the Marriott.

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Feb 4, 2002, 10:44 am

If you must be downtown,the Marriott and the Wyndham are the best properties. I checked out the Hyatt last week. Nice,but no where close to the Westshore (airport) Hyatt.

[This message has been edited by jabez (edited 02-04-2002).]
Old Feb 6, 2002, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to follow up and post a description of my recent stay here.

Overall, I was not impressed. This hotel is past its prime.

Negatives (a long list):

1. Although I had called the front desk before my arrival to give them my Gold Passport number, they had lost it by the time of check-in. Although I gave it to them again at check-in, it was missing from my record upon check-out. I did not receive credit for this stay.

2. I was assigned an interior room, i.e., a room that faced the inside atrium instead of outside. The room had stale air instead of fresh outside air.

3. The room was noisy. Noise in the evening from the atrium bar/restaurant was loud and permeated through the window.

4. A previous guest had shoved an old handtowel between the gap between the sliding windows, perhaps to prevent smoke from permeating the room from the atrium. The towel hanging between the window was pretty gross. Housekeeping did not remove it between the first day and the second day I was in the room.

5. After the first night, I requested to be moved to another room since the noise level was so bad. The front desk was happy to give me a new room, this time with an outside view. Although I requested a non-smoking room, and I was given a room designated as non-smoking, there was a distinct smell of smoke in the room. At this point, it was too much of a hassle to try to change the room again and move all of our luggage.

6. The bed sheets were cheap and coarse. I think they were polyester instead of 100% cotton. Also, the bottom sheet was not fitted so it popped out repeatedly.

7. I did not receive a morning newspaper. When I called down to the front desk, I was told that they did not receive their full shipment. However, I was told that there were papers available in the lobby giftshop. I could go downstairs to pick one up. As a Gold Passport member, papers are usually free. The front desk said I would be credited the cost of the paper if I could "prove" I was a Gold Passport member.!!! Pretty cheeky. I guess I should not be surprised since the front desk kept on losing my Gold Passport number. It would have been easy enough for the front desk to look my name and Gold Passport number up in their master computer system.

8. The woman staffing the concierge desk was not very helpful or friendly. She had given me a walking map on the first day. When I stopped by the second day to ask for some new directions and I did not have my old map with me, the concierge told me that she did not want to give me another map since "she would have to make another photocopy" and that would be too much trouble for her.

9. I was incorrectly charged for consuming two bottles of water ($4.50 for 2 bottles). The front desk removed the improper charge.

Positives:

1. There was one hotel employee, perhaps a valet, who was very helpful with directions and had a very positive attitude.

2. The rooms were renovated with new furniture. (They could use better sheets.)

3. The rooftop pool area is nice (but not nearly as nice as the Marriott's).

Summary: If you have a choice between this hotel and the new Marriott about a 10-minute walk away, definitely stay at the Marriott. I dropped by there for breakfast and was amazed at the difference between the two hotels. The Marriott is very upscale, with lots of marble and a soaring lobby with palm trees. The service at the restaurant was also very good.

Thanks to everyone for posting their feedback.

[This message has been edited by Loderunner777 (edited 02-06-2002).]

Old Feb 6, 2002, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Well, can´t say we told you so, but you have been warned. Marriott is brand new and directly on the water. Nice palm tree lined promenade in front. Also across the water way is Wyndham Harbor Island. This is a top notch hotel but always seems to be empty when I am there.

Next time if Hyatt in Tampa, go to Westshore.
Conceirge was top notch, Regency Club was excellent, Oyster Catchers was probably the best hotel brunch I have had in a long time and the wetlands park on site is amazing. There is a reason why visiting football teams stay there when they play the Bucs!

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Dec 16, 2002, 1:00 pm

Just completed a stay at Hyatt Regency Tampa downtown (211 N Tampa St).

Overall a nice hotel. Selected diamond amenities of fruit basket (5 different fruits with a bottle of watter) and a bottle of red wine (got a full bottle of Chilean red). I was given a room on the 17th floor (top floor of the hotel).

The only thing that I noticed were the dingy elevators. The wood paneling was very worn and the brass fixtures and doors were very scratched up. Additionally, the floor tiles in all of the elevators were cracked and in need of replacement.

Everything else was fine, except for the elevators.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
Hyatt Regency Tampa - 1 working elevator and dirty rooms...

For a 17 story hotel, this was very dissappointing . Complaints to the hotel basically resulted in just a promise that they would make up for it in a future stay (just a signed card noting complaints).

Should I pursue this with Hyatt corporate? Returning to a room and finding the toilet not cleaned, towels and stuff missing something any of you run into ever and what is the usual result when you complain?
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by gpan
Complaints to the hotel basically resulted in just a promise that they would make up for it in a future stay (just a signed card noting complaints).

Should I pursue this with Hyatt corporate? Returning to a room and finding the toilet not cleaned, towels and stuff missing something any of you run into ever and what is the usual result when you complain?
I am not sure what you expect. Stuff happens; elevators break down and housekeeping sometimes become distracted, especially if someone is absent thru sickness.

Personally, for the things that you mentioned, I would be happy for an acknowledgement, and apology and a promise to do better in the future.

As a matter of interest, what would you ask Hyatt Corporate to do?
Old Apr 3, 2007, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
Its a well-located property in downtown tampa next door to city hall basically - property is slightly older but well kept - the elevators are the biggest issue at this property (they are regularily broken - have had issues every time I have stayed there )

This property (and the Marriott properties on the other side of downtown + the Sheraton on the riverfront) is a decent stay for someone looking for Downtown Tampa.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:31 pm
Suspended

I talked to gm and got a free two night stay anywhere in the usa.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:46 pm

Just returned from stay during the NCAAs. While hotel was fairly full, elevator problem was better than before, in fact hotel had signs on each floor stating that elevators were being refurbished. Rooms are decribed as above, except it was clean. No RC, and credit was given for breakfast menu or buffet. Service was very good at hotel and at restaurant.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat
I stay here regularly. Rooms were all redone last summer so an improvement over years past. Still an older hotel, no regency... overall it's fine for a business stay.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: Diamond Hyatt, Delta Silver Med, Emerald Exec Elite, AAdvantage, Hhonors Sil, Mariot. Silver
Good points. The elevator situation is still an issue. Not that it was inoperable, but if you stay on the high floors (as most GP members will) it takes forever to get downstairs during the morning rush. They could use a few more.

Overall, it's a good stay. The other Hyatt in town seemed nicer. It's only about 5 miles away, but I didn't get a chance to stay there. I think that's called the Grand Hyatt. I'm diamond and I still don't know the difference between the two in the Hyatt lexicon.

I was just there a few weeks ago.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Smile Outstanding Stay!!

The Hyatt Tampa while an older property was truly a class act. I liked the location down town close by to the tourist areas. The staff was very hospitable and I was upgraded to one of the best suits (no hotel non-redemptive or certificate redemption used) I have had at Hyatt. I was given a regular room on the 16th floor at 9:30am; however up upgraded to a suite on the third floor by 4pm. The Hospitality Suite had two living areas; one with a round green sofa and chairs, the other with a leather couch, four leather ottomans, two chairs and a plasma flat screen TV. This was really large and looked like something out of a magazine. The renovations did some good here.

The room service was reasonably priced and the service was top notch overall. The Diamond breakfast coupon was given through the Hyatt breakfast room plan, (though I did not book this option) that included a 15% gratuity. You can have either the breakfast buffet or order off the menu. I ordered the $20.00 crab cake Benedict and thus with the drinks, etc., had a $30.00 breakfast through Hyatt. Thanks Hyatt Tampa, truly above and beyond. The Hyatt Tampa is a older property, that works hard to ensure that Diamonds are treated well, even perhaps above the normal Hyatt standard.:-::-::-:
Old Aug 26, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 1.93MM+, UA Gold, SWA Comp Pass, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Thumbs up Nice property - fantastic service

The Hyatt Tampa is an older property that's undergone a nice facelift.

I was given a regular room on the 17th floor - no suite upgrades offered or available (I asked..). Not sure why there's no complementary water in the room?

No Regency Club!

The Diamond breakfast coupon was given, which sometimes is the buffet and sometimes not (depends upon occupancy rates?).

I did like the fitness center, with the rooftop pool just outside. Nice location to relax after an evening workout.

One thing that sets this property apart is their commitment to quality service. Whether at breakfast or heading to a workout, I had numerous staff greet me and ask whether there's anything they can do for me. During an economic downturn, when most businesses are cutting back, this property is stepping up their commitment to service.

Nice touch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.