Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Atlanta (Buckhead) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2000, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist

I'm writing this from the Club floor of the Grand Hyatt here in Atlanta. Not only do they offer free/unlimited beer & wine---they also have 2 computers available for use by the guests at no charge!! Previously, all beverages were complimentary, but they now charge for 'spirits' (no problem for me as a wine drinker). The food is great as well, a nice selection of appetizers including a very chocolatey mousse-like cake. All this and a discounted rate to boot! Too bad, I'm at the downtown Renaissance tomorrow, where as a 'Gold' (I'm a Hyatt Diamond), I'll be lucky if I get a nice room!
Old Apr 24, 2001, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
The baaad stay, and the retelling of it, has had a fair resolution. This morning I received a telephone call from Patty Ramirez, the Rooms Divisions Manager at the Grand Hyatt Buckhead. She began by telling me she was assigned to follow up on our problem visit at the property. Since I had not yet written a letter to Hyatt, I immediately realized that her call had to be due to the posting on FlyerTalk. As our conversation unfolded, I had to explain to Ms. Ramirez that the only way Hyatt could be aware of my complaint was the internet posting. She thought I had written a complaint letter to Hyatt.

We discussed the problems Tim and I encountered during our stay in detail. She told me that Hyatt had already spoken with the reservationist who had originally handled my booking.

The end result of the conversation was that I will receive a letter or coupon for one complimentary night at any Hyatt property. I felt this was a reasonable offer, since we had stayed only two nights at the property in Atlanta. I told Ms. Ramirez that I would write an addendum to my internet complaint to explain that Hyatt had responded. I was quite surprised to receive the call, I guess Hyatt monitors FlyerTalk and responds when they feel the comments warrant a call. My plan now is to use the free night in New York City at the end of May. I was getting ready to make a reservation at the Renaissance, now I will look for a Hyatt.

Mauld - good luck tonite. I hope the extra training that Patty told me the staff would be receiving will result in better service for you!
Old Apr 24, 2001, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Well, I'm sitting here in the Club Lounge, sipping my free white wine and nibbling on some snacks while waiting for my ride to the Atlanta FlyerTalk dinner. I think something had to have happened due to your complaint on this forum. When I got to the check in desk about 5pm, my room had been 'pre-booked' and I was given a room key holder with my name already pre-printed on it (so someone knew I was coming). The desk agent actually seemed somewhat welcoming! For the first time, I was actually given a room on the club level itself & while not a suite (hey...this is still a Hyatt), it was a larger corner room. My chosen amenity (champagne & cheese plate) was delivered promptly. I will be checking out tomorrow about 6:30am--got to get back to NYC & the Starwood party at the W, so I don't think I'll have anything new to add. But this definately was an improvement
Old Apr 25, 2001, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Sorry Chris, you should have called up!--
Well the rest of my stay went fine, except for a phone charge of $7.16 for a call home that went unanswered, so after 3 rings (and well before the machine clicked on) I hung up. The desk did say the charge was for a one minute call--but since the actual call did not go through, they took it off. one minute domestic call = $7.15 Wow, I should get into the phone business
Old Aug 26, 2002, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Not sure if it is still the case (or even still open), but the RC room there was one of the very few in the US offering complimentary beer, wine & champagne with very good hot & cold appitizers. As a Diamond, I've never gotten a suite here, so don't really expect one as a Platinum, but the rooms themselves are ok, with small bathrooms. Its a bit of a walk to the shopping centers, but there are lots of other restaurants around the area. There is a MARTA (train) stop nearby- Buckhead stop, if you don't want to use a car to get downtown to CNN, World of Coke, etc.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
Dave--

Welcome to Flyertalk and to the Hyatt board.

I've only stayed at this hotel once-- it's nice, but will defer to others for advice. If its a special occasion, call the hotel directly and tell them. More often than not, the hotel will upgrade you or do something nice for you.

LaGrotta is a really great, Romantic Italian restaurant in Buckhead.

Canoe on Paces Ferry Road in Vinings is also very romantic -- set on a river, it's a gorgeous place. New-American food...

Another one to try is Nava, a Southwestern place right in Buckhead -- a little loud, but great, great food.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 11:47 am

Programs: DL Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, National EE
The trip was a success! The Grand Hyatt was a very nice property... I got a corner room on the 12th floor with a view of the Atlanta skyline.

I thought the room could have used more/larger windows, but it was still very nice. The bathroom was unique... the toilet sat next to floor to ceiling window, so you had a nice view while you were there.

The staff were very courteous and had excellent suggestions for dinner and entertainment. We ended up eating at the Atlanta Fish Market and had a spectacular feast. The hotel also has a Town Car to drive you around... they took us and picked us up from the malls, restaurant and bars (even as late as 2:00am!).

The Sunday jazz brunch was specatular, with excellent seafood, hot dishes and made to order omlettes and pasta... of course it weighs in at $34 per person without champagne, so be warned!

All in all I really enjoyed this property. I have stayed at the downtown Hyatt and was not impressed at all. The Suites Perimeter NW Hyatt is nice and tasteful and can give you a good room for a good price. If I were going back I would stay at the Grand Hyatt if I had a good deal... otherwise I might try the Suites for less than $100 per night.
Old May 2, 2003, 11:01 pm

Question about Grand Hyatt Atlanta

I think this is a terrific property. Does anyone know if this was built from the ground up as a Hyatt or is it an acquired property? It looks unlike any other domestic Hyatt that I've stayed in. Plus the signs out front look like they were stuck on afterward rather than being part of the original design. Thanks.
Old May 2, 2003, 11:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
It was , I believe, a Nikko hotel until Hyatt took it over.
Old May 3, 2003, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Yes it originally was a Nikko. You can tell by the beautiful Japanese garden in the back and there is a good Japanese restaurant inside.
Old Jun 7, 2003, 2:47 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Seeking Gold Passport Elite StayTreatment at Grand Hyatt Atlanta

Greetings all,
I am seeking information on this property Grand Hyatt Atlanta in Buckhead for a focus group I am paticipating in this summer.
Now looks like the perfect window of opportunity to get some feedback.
I would appreciate any information on this property you can share with me.
The more detailed the better.

The information I am seeking would be any stay (s) taken between 2001 to current date.
Regard to satisfactory or unsatisfactory treatment.
Positive or negative aspects of the property and the GoldPassport treatment (upgrades/ammenities during stay
Also what your elite tier was at the time.
Non elite stay experience information is appreciated too.

Why you would like to go back to this property or reasons you would never go back.
Dining experience if any is also appreciated
I know I can always count on the answers from
our community.

Please feel free to email me directly if you prefer not to post publicly
Thank you for your participation and assistance

------------------
AA & Starwood,Marriott Platinum
Hyatt, Hilton Diamond
Swissotel Club Gold
U/A 1k

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited 07-14-2003).]
Old Jun 7, 2003, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Tried to stay there last year. They had a separate line for all Gold Passport members. There was a convention in the hotel and the Gold Passport chk-in line snaked all around the lobby- probably 75 people in it. After over a 45 minute wait, was told the hotel was oversold and they would put us up for free at the Hyatt Suites, about 30 minutes away.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I am at the property now, writing from a computer in the Regency Club (nice that they have 2 available). I am Diamond. When I arrived I was given an ordinary room on the 15th floor. When I complained, I was given a Regency Club room. the club is closed on the weekends, but was open this AM. The breakfast available was a mess as was the club with a lot of plates and garbage strewn about. As for the Diamond amenity - requested for 6PM - It arrived after 10PM. My general advice is - don't expect much here. The Hyatt Regency Atlanta in the downtown area has a much better attitude when it comes to service.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 5:23 pm

One interesting feature at the Grand Hyatt-Atlanta is that the hotel has the ability to videotape group meetings in its conference rooms (at least the one I attended was), and they are simultaneously carried on your in-room TV, so that an attendee can watch the entire program from his or her room, if the attendee should choose to do so.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 4:26 pm

If you are traveling via MARTA (I probably wouldn't use it at night but I defer to ATL travelers for better advice), the downtown property is located no more than 100 yards from the hotel. (an easy trip up an escalator to ground level and then through a small indoor mall-like area to hotel). MARTA also has a stop about 2 blocks from the Grand Hyatt in the Buckhead area (not sure what the name of the stop is), which is not as convenient but certainly accessible if not loaded down with luggage, etc. I was at the Grand Hyatt 2 weeks ago but traveled to hotel in a rental car (traffic is terrible during rush hour). IMHO, the Grand Hyatt is a far superior hotel, but if your business requires you to be downtown, the Hyatt is the better choice, location-wise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.