Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Cayman Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 1999, 3:06 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Cayman Hyatt in November. We are trying to decide whether to book a Regency Club or standard room. It is almost a $200/night difference. We understand that includes a continental breakfast every morning and drinks and snacks (I don't think I can even spell "OR DERVES" (hors d'ourves?)). Is it worth it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 8, 1999, 4:57 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Unless you're a reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaalllly heavy drinker, I can't imagine that this is worth it. I've never stayed at the Cayman Hyatt but at Hyatts in Hawaii the food and drink in RC are worth about $60 a day tops to me and my husband. They used to offer private chefs on RC floors, who prepared cooked-to-order breakfasts, but those days appear long gone. I do like the private lounges and concierge on RC floors, but generally think it's a better value to pay with points rather than dollars.
Old Sep 8, 1999, 6:26 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Your choice really. I've stayed there and it's a pretty nice property that you'll enjoy either way. The UA cert's are a good idea too! I used them there! By the way, the manager there used to be named Mark but I don't know if he's still there. You could fax and request an upgrade if available for your "special occasion! It can't hurt.
Old Sep 8, 1999, 7:28 pm
Original Member

Cayman Hyatt is a great property, but I don't know that the RC is worth an extra $200 over their already high prices. If not using RC, check the price on your room, and then check whether Hyatt gift certificates for the nights might be a better price. See the details on the Hyatt Gift Certificates thread--dated last 8/16. If you go, make sure you have the Key Lime pie at Hemingways. It's the best in the world.
Old May 12, 2001, 11:41 am

Hyatt Grand Cayman

What have people's experience been at the Hyatt Grand Cayman? I'm planning to go there to surprise my fiance for your birthday over Memorial Day weekend. The rooms are pretty pricey, so we ended up with a "island view" room. What are they like?Thanks
Old May 12, 2001, 1:26 pm
Original Member

the Hyatt is a very nice property. Even the island view rooms are nice--most look out over the golf course or the pool or similar nice views. The rooms are nice and spacious. I haven't been in the public areas since we were down there about 18 months ago--Just in time for the freak backwards Nov. Hurrican Lenny. It flooded the first floor of the Hyatt, so I assume they redid all the rugs, furniture, etc. on the first floor.

Property only has a postage-stamp portion of the beach. But the beach restaurant, Hemingways, is great. Fantastic burgers and swordfish sandwiches for lunch. And eat there for dinner, don't miss the Key Lime Pie. Best Key Lime Pie I have ever had. (I will confess to have eaten it maybe 7-8 times in the 3 vacations we have taken there.)

Best restaurant around, IMHO, is Lantana's, a couple blocks from the Hyatt. If you have kids along, they will like the tarpon show at the Wharf.

E-mail me if you would like additional information, such as locations of the good snorkeling reefs in the vicinity of the Hyatt.

Djlawman
Old May 16, 2001, 2:21 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Ive been both to the Hyatt and the Westin Casuarinas Resort. The Hyatt is very nice, but I personally prefer the overall stlye & service of the Westin. (I had nice views for both stays).
Old May 16, 2001, 9:40 pm

djlanman
I will be going to the hyatt here in July.
Can you advise good snorkeling spots along with other things for my family with 13 yr old son.
thanks
Old May 17, 2001, 10:20 pm
Original Member

Kishna--I agree with Gaucho that the Westin Casuarina is a great hotel also. Many people prefer it, since it is right on the beach, and only the beachfront suites for the Hyatt are right on the beach. The others are a short walk, and across the street. I didn't mind that, but some do. Downside is that the Westin is further north on 7-Mile beach, and there aren't as many restaurants within easy walking distance of the Westin if you don't have a rental car. You will enjoy it at either place though.

as to mjordan's (former basketball player?) question about snorkeling spots, let me cut and paste in here info. from my e-mail to kishna:

there are several good snorkeling spots from the beach. In front of the Hyatt, you will see a marked channel where jet skis and boats come in to the beach (just to the left of the Hyatt beach, facing the water). Just to the left of the channel, there are about 3 reef areas, 50-75 yards out. One near the channel, 2 others farther to the left (and out a little further). Good fish, lobsters. Have seen some rays, turtle and a HUGE grouper out here.

Better area though is right in front of Governor's House, about a 5 min. walk to the right (facing the water from Hyatt beach.) Right in front of Governor's hosue, you should see the dark reef areas about 50 yards out. Great fish, lobsters, moray eel, octopus all seen here.

Cemetery Reef is the best, though, even further out. too far to walk though. Far north on Seven Mile beach. Take a taxi or drive. Great reef. Best place on the island you can reach from the beach.

Restaurants. Well, the best is Lantanas. We eat there once or twice each trip. Hemingways is great--food and atmosphere, and it's right at the Hyatt. Lone Star is a fun Tex-Mex place, just casual though. We have had good meals at Ottmar's, a few blocks away on the main drag. We also like the Wharf--good seafood, and if you are going make sure you get there for the tarpon show. There are lots of other good places to eat. Hyatt has a great brunch.

Other things that 13 year old will like, I think, from when our kids were there last year: ride in the submarine out of Georgetown; Stingray City; boat snorkeling trips.

Glad to provide any further information.

Djlawman
Old Mar 13, 2002, 2:40 pm

Location: HPN/LGA/JFK/EWR- UAL PremEx, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Grand Cayman

I'll be staying at the property on Grand Cayman for 4 nights in April. The first 3 are free nights/points combo, with the 4th night paid. Any thoughts on the property, especially concerning upgrade possibilities for a Platinum, would be greatly appreciated. The CSR predicted the hotel would be pretty quiet, and it certainly is as of now. Thanks all!
Old Mar 13, 2002, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
I love the place. The only drawback is that the main hotel is across the street from the beach. But the property is great, the staff is great.

As for upgrades, since it's an award stay, they'll probably want $$ or more points to upgrade you. If you can swing an upgrade to one of the beachfront suites, you'll be in heaven.

I'm going in May, and have one of the beach suites reserved. It'll be my 18th time in GCM, and about my 8th or 10th time at the Hyatt.

------------------
Not sure where I'm going, but I'm gettting there fast.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 12:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bonzaiflyer:
I love the place. The only drawback is that the main hotel is across the street from the beach. But the property is great, the staff is great.

As for upgrades, since it's an award stay, they'll probably want $$ or more points to upgrade you. If you can swing an upgrade to one of the beachfront suites, you'll be in heaven.

I'm going in May, and have one of the beach suites reserved. It'll be my 18th time in GCM, and about my 8th or 10th time at the Hyatt.

</font>
We had gone last May and while we enjoyed our stay and hotel, we liked the location of the Westin better.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
This hotel seems like a good place to use the stay certificates. We're generally packpacker type travelers but we wanted to do 4 nights in the carribean truly resort style, sitting on the beach and by the pool, reading and relaxing as well. In addition, we'd like to try scuba. We know nothing about the carribean so after a bit of searching, this hotel using the stey certificated seemed like a good safe bet.
Thoughts?
Old Nov 12, 2007, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by eternalX
This hotel seems like a good place to use the stay certificates. We're generally packpacker type travelers but we wanted to do 4 nights in the carribean truly resort style, sitting on the beach and by the pool, reading and relaxing as well. In addition, we'd like to try scuba. We know nothing about the carribean so after a bit of searching, this hotel using the stey certificated seemed like a good safe bet.
Thoughts?
If you're looking for a nice big beach and lots of space...try somewhere else. the main part of the hotel is across the main road (highway) from the beach, and their pool area and beach is pretty cramped. If you are set on Grand Cayman, try the Westin, or the Ritz (if your budget allows).
If you want to get out and hike one day...this ain't the island...flat as a pancake.
All that being said, the diving here is truly world class and the beach (provided you are at the right resort) is spectacular...hope this helps!
Old Nov 12, 2007, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
how do they get by charging $750/night then if the plae isn't that great? Is it all in the Hyatt name?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.