Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The 2012 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2012 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Post The 2012 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

Here is the sixth annual “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread, and for the first time this thread will be done in the Consolidated Thread.

If you are new to FT, here is the drill:

We have been having this thread for the last fiv years for FTers on United Forum to share travel stories on how status were obtained during the year, what are the flying patterns, why we travel, where we have flown to, etc. It is also a place for newcomer to introduce themselves in the Forum, and old timers to share their travel pattern in the past 12 months. Most important of all, tell us about your travel projection for the upcoming 2012 year.

This is a special year! We have the "new" consolidated CO and UA forum in place. Our beloved airlines are walking down the path of marriage. I am sure there will be bumps, but there will also be many great years ahead. CO and UA flyers will learn to become one loyal group.

Perhaps this thread will help FTers from both side to get to know each other better.

Lot’s of interesting events happened in 2011 that may have impacted our flying with CO/UA:
  • Changes to the MM program
  • No More EliteBonus Awards.
  • New Chase Credit Cards
  • Continuing steps to merge United and Continental together systemwide
  • Economy continues to be weak and showed little signs of rebound
  • Downgrade/upgrade of aircraft on certain routes and cross fleet management.
  • Linking of two popular frequent programs
  • Premier Access!!! New Boarding Procedures!!

The links to the 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 threads are listed below. It is interesting to go back and reflect on what had changed in our travel patterns over the past 4 years.

The 2011 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

The 2010 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=19989

Here we go:

Who: What do you do when you are not on FT? Anything you want to tell FTers about you.
When: When will (did) you make your desired 2012 status?
How: This is a broad category. Include any information on whether you travel for work, personal reasons, MRs, double/triple EQM, M+ Visa EQMs, UA flying, *A flying, $$$ spent to achieve status, how your travel pattern has changed in 2010 from previous years.
Where: Places you have been this year (on your way to your 2012 status).
Why:Why is achieving status/accumulating miles important (or not important) to you? Why do you do Mileage Runs, etc.?
What: What’s your plan to achieve 2013 status, and where will you go? What will be changed in 2012 versus 2011.

Happy Holidays and Safe Travel Everyone!!

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Dec 15, 2011 at 8:56 pm
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Who: I drink wine, hang out with friends, and plan for an August wedding.
When: I anticipate making 1P again in November.
How: I used to travel for work more often, but cost-cutting has reduced TA flights significantly. Mostly now personal transcons to the West
Coast.
Where: Portland (2x), Eugene (2x), SMF (1x), SFO (1x), LA (1x), Orange County (1x). France (1x).
Why:Luggage. Number one. 2nd is ability to change reward plans very little money.
What: In 2010, there was DEQM, and I was a Plat-lite. The only issue
this year is less leisure due to a wedding, and the wedding trip will use miles (Eastern Europe/Germany).
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:40 pm

Who:I am busy dealing with Germanys finest autos and doing the last bit of traveling before Mrs. VWGuru and I start to round out our family.
When: Somewhere between ORD-LAX on UA 839 where the UDU thankfully cleared on time (72 hours before departure)
How: My BIS miles have decreased from 90K a few years ago to just squeaking out 1P for 2012 but I will probably do about 60-70k this year
Where: NRT, KIX, VIE, MUC.
Why:I only did one MR last (cheapo SAN-SAT run on CO)year but the luggage, E+ and *G benefits are worth it.
What: Work will keep me going, hopefully I can get Plat this year if I can manage a couple paid C trips out of my company or a good DEQM comes along.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
Who: I am a sophomore in college addicted to this site and flying
When: An hour or so into my return flight from ATH to EWR
How: Traveling over breaks or back and forth from school, hopefully one international C trip a year.
Where: MSY, EWR, SFO, ATH, JMK, TVC
Why:I've always loved flying and a strange sense of loyalty to CO. My grandfather is Infinite Plat with a few MM on CO and my dad flys around 100k every year. I'm the baby in the family when it comes to flying but I still love it.
What: I am going to try my best to get to Gold this year. I guess I should have gone to a school more than 305 miles away from IAH...
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: If only all those cards were made from the precious metals and gemstones they claim to be.
Who: Air Traffic Controller working the skies over LHR.
When: Made 1K in November. All in Y apart from the occasional mileage upgrade or op-up.
How: Simply put, I work in London and my wife works in New Orleans. I have a 5000 mile commute which I do ~ every 3 weeks.
Where: Apart from LHR, MSY and connecting through IAD, ORD, EWR and DEN the only places I've been are PHX and SFO. I don't have the time for vacations!
Why: When IRROPS kick in and a delay means you don't get to see your family who you already haven't seen in weeks, the status really helps. It makes what is an unfortunate necessity a little more tolerable. Since all my travel is out of my own pocket, I can't afford paid F or C so the occasional upgrade helps
What: My wife moves to the UK in September '12 after which I won't need to travel nearly as much but I would still like to make 1K again by then. 11 round trips LHR-MSY should be doable by September.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
Who: college senior splitting time between the two coasts who has become way too addicted to miles. My friends find me crazy until they actually travel with me!
When: Will (barely) make Premier Executive on a flight from ORD to CDG on December 28. Will celebrate with my CO drink chits!
How: Mostly all personal spending, but my university decided to fund a trip to Singapore for my research and partial funding for a transcontinental flight for thesis research. I've probably totaled about $4,600 on United this year, which I guess isn't a good cents per mile.
Where: JFK/EWR, SFO, SEA, NRT, SIN, and a short trip via PHL to get the 500 mile minimum for the hop to New York.
Why: Ever since United cut Economy Plus for 2P, I decided I needed to fly extra to maintain my access to those coveted seats. The lounge access will be great on international flights. And I do appreciate the bragging rights amongst my fellow college flyers (I frequently see people I know on my flights to SFO and allow them to check a bag for free under my allowance).
What: This year I actually decided to go for Premier Executive. I flew back to San Francisco for a weekend in November, and convinced myself to go to Paris over winter break. I even decided to fly US on SFO-PHL-LGA and waited six hours after a delay just to get my 500 mile minimum on the short 90 mile hop. Crazy, right? But totally worth it.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 2:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Who: I work running an independent rental car company in Durham, NC. I also am close with my family serving as a mentor, confidant, occasional partner-in-crime to my 17 year old brother and 15 year old sister and of course to my two year old half Corgi/half Finnish Spitz Spring. I'm also a member of www.wheresgeorge.com which consumes almost as much as my beloved FT.

When: I'm in limbo right now. About 45,500 EQMs/52.5 EQS and I'm not sure if I want to do an MR.

How: All my travel is personal but this year I ended up on a lot more Star Alliance (UA/US/CO) than expected because of three well timed VDBs. I tend to pick whomever is cheapest among UA/US/CO and DL and rarely AA.

Where:
January: Monterey, CA
February: New York, San Francsico
March: San Francisco/Lodi, CA
April: Chicago, Maryland/New York, Phoenix
May: Kansas City, San Jose
June: New York, Phoenix
July: Boston, Austin, Phoenix
August: San Francisco
September: Maryland/D.C., Atlanta
October: Phoenix, Ft. Lauderdale
November: Chicago
December: Prague/Vienna/Paris

Why: As I spend as much time in the air and traveling as I do, the more perks I can get and the less hassle I can endure is very important. Still, I don't like the idea of mileage runs per se as I'd rather spend my time seeing places in addition to airports/airplanes.

What: My 2012 is currently very much a question mark. I'm currently an applicant to three law schools and provided if/where I get in, I'm not sure what my year is going to be like. If I do go to school, I expect travel and travel spending to go way down. We shall see!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Avis Preferred; PriorityClub Gold; nada anywhere else
Who: Consultant living and working in NYC
When: Made 1K in November
How: A bit of travel for work-- mostly domestic-- and a lot of travel for love. My partner and I are transatlantic and do a lot of traveling between NYC and London. Add in the odd vacation and it adds up pretty quickly.
Where: LHR a lot, DUB, GLA, CDG, SFO, SEA, TUS, BOS, ORD, IAD, IAH, MRY
Why:Same day changes, upgrades, protected seats on later flights when tings get wonky, E+
What: Likely more of the same. Love to travel so hoping to hit 1K again next year
Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
Who: Global IT Consultant Living in Chicago, according to Tripit I was on the road 243 days this year. When I do have precious time at home I enjoy hanging out with my loving partner and 2 amazing English Bulldogs.
When: Made 1K for the third time this year in November (300k EQMs) Waiting to hear on Global Service requal.
How: All work , no play. Working with a client based in San Francisco & Basel Switzerland.
Where: SFO (weekly) , IAH, CZM, EWR, IAD, BSL (x9), FRA, NCE, MUC, LHR, LAX, SEA
Why:Amazing customer service, upgrades 95% of the time to F on domestic trips, truly feeling like my business is appreciated, brand loyalty. I feel a since of pride in the merger between CO & UA (as a legacy UA guy)
What: Next year looks promising as this year. Would be nice to spend a bit more time at home, but if I have to be on the road I'm always looking forward to humming along with Rhapsody in Blue
Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.6 MM, AA EXP, SPG Gold, MARR Plat (Premier) Lifetime, Hertz Pres Circle
Who: IT Consultant traveling the US, trying to maximize my MP activity.
When: I hit 1K sometime in August, about 170K this year (again). Hit MM in December.
How: Not much change, about 170K a year the past few years. I have flown CO a bit more this year.
Where: Live in PHX, have flown to SFO, ORD, EWR, IAD, SAT for work, OGG and SEA for pleasure.
Why: Accumulating miles allows me to pay back my wife with vacations to make up for my not being home most weeks.
What: No change, will be flying to SAT and IAD until that project ends, then off to whereever the next one begins.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Here is the sixth annual “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread
Looks like you forgot up update the dates in your cut-and-paste from last year's thread...
Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Who: Bankruptcy asset chaser and avid golfer.
When: I crossed 90EQS 12/10/2011
How: All of my flying, and FT reading started before my fiance was my fiance and I was flying to see her every few weeks. We now both happily live in California and I fly to see friends and family.
Where: 28 airports in 2011 - see my flight memory. I always try to return on a different route than my departure.
Why: Keeping up with my father, he is a 2MM and 2012 1K, flying is somthing we enjoy talking about and doing together.
What: Pray - travel will be way down so hopefully I can sneek in some MR's and keep Premier Plat in 2013.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Who: Active duty Army officer. I have a fabulous job managing international engagement for a 4-star headquarters that keeps me travelling all over Asia.
When: I will prolly make Silver by Feb 2012, Gold by March, Plat by May and 1K again by July.
How: Definitely EQMs My flights are typically TPACs
Where: SIN, NRT, BKK, SYD, ICN, MNL, DAC
Why:Achieving status is important because it makes the trave easier. I would do the travel anyway, but it's a lot nicer in C...
What: See above for "WHERE"
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Who: Aerospace industry consultant/contractor. And someone who just likes the act of travel.
When: Re-qualed as 1P someone over the Atlantic on BRU-IAD, returning from OUA in mid-November
How: 60/40 work/personal. Saw the inside of US, CO, UA, SN and AC planes. Only 2 non-Star segments
Where:
Based in WAS (DCA>IAD>BWI)
Trips to: CUN, MCO, LAX, ELP, LNK, OMA, SEA, LGB, SNA, DEN, HSV, OUA. MBJ still to come
Connections at: PHL, CLT, CLE, ORD, DEN, IAH, PHX, BRU, EWR. YUL and YYZ still to come.
Why: E+, of course. RDM Bonus. International lounge access. Domestic upgrades. Did I mention E+?
What: Hoping to make 1P again for 2013. Will miss that 100% RDM bonus in 2012, only negative impact of the merger to me so far.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Who: Patent Law
When: Requalified for 1K via DCA-YYZ-PEK on AC [actually a lot of my miles came from AC flights this year]
How: Mostly personal but about 15K of miles for work
Where: CDG, TXL, CPH, LHR, PVG, PEK, BOG x 2, YVR, SFO, SEA, HNL, NYC. Plus FLL this weekend albeit I am already a made man for the year.
Why:I like being on a plane.
What: The plan is 2x TPAC and a few TATLs with some transcons thrown in.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.