Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Got scammed by Alpharooms.com; where can I submit my story to the Authority?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2011, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Hi, Flyers

I think I got scammed by Alpharooms.com. Allow me to tell you guys my story so you guys can help me on how can I proceed from here.

1.] I purchased a deal from groupon.com.uk for GBP20 for GBP50 discount to use at alpharooms.com

2.] I booked the hotel using the received discount code on Alpharooms.com

3.] A week later an email from Alpharooms was sent to me stating the following:

"Good Afternoon Ms *********,

We have been contacted by the hotel regarding your booking. The hotel are querying whether you are Thai passport holders as the rate for the room is not valid for Thai passport holders and an extra fee will apply. Please advise us if you are a Thai passport holder and we can inform the hotel.

Kind Regards
Matt
Alpharooms"

4.] I replied the first email with the following content:

"Dear Alpharooms,

It has never been stated under the Terms and Conditions in your website regarding Extra Charges for any or specific type of national passport holder.

And the hotel itself doesnot require extra charges for any or specific type of national passport holder either. I know that for a fact because my friend works in the Thai hotel industry and has checked it for me.

So it really made me curious where this claim of extra charge is originating from.

To answer your question, I'm a Lao. We live right next to Thailand. Are you charging me for that too?????

You really are famous for having tricks. I saw a lot of complaints on alpharooms.com on the internet. But I decided to try my luck anyway. Is this a mistake???

Best regards,
******"

5.] The 2nd reply was sent to me by Alpharooms with this content:

"Good Afternoon,

Regarding your booking – MCLDWHQ

Unfortunately we have cancelled this booking due to your breach of terms and conditions attached to the Groupon promotion. The groupon promotion was valid for UK residents only.

I have requested a refund via our online system for the payment you have made, this can take up to 5 working days to appear on your card once the refund has been processed. Should you wish to claim a refund from Groupon you will have to contact Groupon direct.

Kind regards

Matt
Alpharooms"

It raised a question about Alpharooms's business integrity.

1) In the first email, Alpharooms stated If I'm a Thai, I will have to pay extra rate for Thai resident. <== This suggests that they accept the validity of my booking.

2) But as I replied that my nationality is Lao, and added the facts that I've checked with the hotel that they have no SPECIAL RATE for any nationality. <== They stated in the 1st email also that the HOTEL is charging extra rate for Thai residents.

3) Failing to answer my queries or facts I've prepared prior to confronting with Alpharooms; they decided to cancel my booking stating that Groupon only allows UK resident to use. <== This is also a mistake. There is nothing on the website of Groupon.com.uk stating they only allow for UK residents only. There is nothing stated on the fine print of the voucher I received from Groupon.com.uk stating that this coupon is ONLY FOR UK Resident.

4.) I find that these set of actions from Alpharooms are extremely racist, unethical of business culture for the lack of integrity and stating false claims.

So where can I submit this story to the authority of UK?

Last edited by jabez; May 30, 2011 at 7:15 am Reason: edited OP's real name
Old May 29, 2011, 11:01 pm
In memoriam

This is a Groupon issue so contact them but read the ad on their site carefully first. It would state that it is available to U.K. residents only if that was the case.

Last edited by Sheryl; May 29, 2011 at 11:04 pm Reason: Info on UK Residents
Old May 30, 2011, 3:42 am

MerZ - are you resident in the UK?

It looks like you need a UK postal address to sign up with Groupon. Additionally they've got this rather weird clause in their T&Cs ("weird" in that it appears to apply to anyone who accesses their web site from abroad, regardless of place of residence):

3.3 Place: The Website and the Service and any Purchase are directed solely at those who access the Website from the United Kingdom. We make no representation that the Service (or any goods or services) are available or otherwise suitable for use outside of the United Kingdom. If you choose to access the Website (or use the Service or make a Purchase) from locations outside the United Kingdom, you do so on your own initiative and are responsible for the consequences and for compliance with all applicable laws.
As I understand it if you are UK resident then UK companies must not discriminate against you on grounds of ethnic origin or nationality, so if you are resident in the UK then you do have a case against Groupon or Alpharooms or both. (Alpharooms are a UK company too so they come under the same laws). If you are not UK resident then, in practice, there is probably not an awful lot you can do.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:02 am

I don't have any advice on the legality of this but just be very careful with Groupon (and similar companies) in the future.

Some deals are fine and should run without a hitch, but many deals are nowhere near as great as they first appear.

I often see vouchers for wine companies, who will then remove all their cheap wines, thereby forcing you to spend well over the value of the voucher you bought. They'll always add on a hefty delivery charge too.

I also heard recently that one of the 'cheap' holidays they were advertising, turned out to be a timeshare holiday, with all the lovely sales pitches that come with it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.