Search

JSD's comprehensive guide to AA for UA 1Ks

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2003, 3:10 pm
JSD
Original Poster

Programs: QF P1/LTG; AA 1MM; UA 1MM
JSD's comprehensive guide to AA for UA 1Ks

Okay, you asked for it, so here you go. JSD's complete guide to the differences between UA and AA. I've put this little reference together for those of you who are thinking about trying AA. I hope you find it useful. BTW, I should add that I have no affiliation with AA or UA, other than being a frequent customer of both. I assume no responsibility for any errors contained within, and as always, you should be prudent and verify this information yourself, rather than listening to some quack on the Internet. I welcome and appreciate any feedback - I'd like to make sure this is as correct as possible. Also, keep in mind that (despite the title) this is not meant to be a comprehensive guide, but it covers the areas that I felt like rambling on about. I probably should have titled it "JSD's Morning Ramblings about AA - Please pass the Coffee". Anyways, take it or leave it.

Now, before we get started, I should explain a little about my travel profile so you understand my bias.

Last year, I traveled about 225K miles, roughly half on UA and half on AA. I'm a consultant and a lot of this travel was work-related - to and from client sites every week. 100% of my work-related travel is domestic US. My work travel is almost always in discount coach, with occasional Y/B fares if it is last-minute. I have some flexibility to choose who I fly, so long as the price is reasonable.

Additionally, I do a considerable amount of personal travel - mostly international. I did 12 international trips last year, split pretty evenly between Asia, Europe, South America and Australia. These int'l trips are always on the lowest upgradeable coach fare. Only one trip was a true mileage run (the 7 hour turn in SIN)... the rest were "long weekend" trips, leaving on a Thurs or Fri and returning Sun or Mon morning in time to be back at work. Only Australia was a "real" vacation - I spend 8 days in Sydney (and loved it, BTW).

In addition to being both a 1K and an EXP, I also have memberships at both the RCC and the Admirals Club, so I will include a comparison of the clubs. As far as my travel habits, I always request upgrades, and I'm usually lucky enough to get them, so my perspective is heavily skewed towards domestic F & international C class. Frankly, I'm not a good person to ask about the minute differences between AA and UA economy class, so I won't really cover it too much.

One more thing you should know is that I am a travel dork. Not a "write down the registration number" sort of travel dork - I'm not that bad. But, I am very detail-oriented so I pay very close attention to differences between equipment, seats, lounges, etc. If there's a 3-class 777 operating on a route, you can be sure that I'm on that plane and not on the A319 (unless of course its a Hawaii-config 777). I know that MIA is the only domestic RCC with free booze for domestic passengers and I know (like many FlyerTalkers) which seats I want on every UA and AA airplane without looking at seatguru.com.

Okay, now you know where I'm coming from.... enough about me. Here's my assessment of the differences between AA and UA, being as objective as I can.

I've tried to put things in an order that makes sense, based on what we Flyertalkers care about. I’ve also tried to interject some of my opinion throughout, to keep it from being purely a dry reference guide. You could have gotten that from AA.com.

Anyways, here's the table of contents:

- Earning Status
- The AA Challenges
- Fees
- Status Perks
- Domestic Upgrades
- International Upgrades
- Equipment
- Seat Comfort
- Route Network
- On-Board Service
- Lounges
- Star vs. Oneworld
- UAL.com vs AA.com
- Summary

Earning Status

UA and AA are essentially the same, both with three levels of status:

UA Premier (2P) = AA Gold (GLD)
UA Premier Executive (1P) = AA Platinum (PLT)
UA Premier Executive 1K (1K) = AA Executive Platinum (EXP)

The qualifying levels on AA are very similar:

GLD = 25K q-miles, 25K q-points or 30 segments
PLT = 50K q-miles, 50K q-points or 60 segments
EXP = 100K q-miles or 100K q-points (no segment qualification for EXP)

You'll notice that the difference is that on AA, you can qualify either on the basis of status miles (called qualifying miles or "q-miles" on AA) or on qualifying points (called "q-points"). Just like on UA, you earn 1 status mile (q-mile) for each mile flown on AA, regardless of fare or class of service. However, the number of q-points you earn is equal to the number of q-miles multiplied by a multiplier that is based on your paid fare class, as follows:

F,A ------ 1.5
J,D,I ---- 1.25 (AA "J" = UA "C" = biz class)
Y,B ------ 1.0
cheapo --- 0.5

You will earn a minimum of 500 q-points per segment, even in the cheap seats.

For most of us who don't regularly fly full-fare tickets, you will just ignore q-points because they will always be less than your q-miles, meaning you qualify for status the exact same way you do on UA - my number of status miles (q-miles) flown. However, if you frequently buy paid First or Business class tickets (including RTW tix) and don't often fly in discounted economy, your q-points will probably be higher than your q-miles, meaning you'll earn status faster.

Its important to note that the multiplier applied to your q-points is based on PAID fare, not class-of-service flown in. So even if you upgrade from discount economy, you're still only earning 0.5x q-points. The ONLY exception to this rule is that AA VIPOWS (AA's equivalent of UA SWUs) used on an entirely domestic itinerary (no international legs) will book into the paid fare class, and there are widespread reports that you will earn the corresponding number of q-points.

Again, don't get worked up over the q-points thing. Unless you fly only in paid C or F most of the time, ignore them. You'll earn status exactly the same way you do on UA - by miles flown. And unlike the new Delta rules, you still earn one status mile (q-mile) for every mile flown, regardless of fare. Just for historical reference, in the old days (pre-2000), the only way to earn Executive Platinum on AA was by q-points, making it EXTREMELY difficult for discount coach flyers (you basically had to fly 200K miles). They changed that in 2000 and now you can earn EXP with just 100,000 miles, even in discount coach.

One more subtle thing that you probably noticed above - you can't qualify for EXP on segments. So if you're a segment warrior 1K on UA, unless you do 100K q-miles or q-points on AA, you'll be PLT.

Lastly, AA also has "lifetime" status, but it works differently than UA's. On AA, all the miles you earn count - not just butt-in-seat miles. That means your 100% mileage bonuses, your AA credit card miles, special promotions, etc. We've got lifetime MMers over at AA who've never been on an AA plane - instead they ate lots of pudding or krispy kremes or burgers or something. Frankly, I hope they're using those miles for upgrades, 'cause after eating all that stuff, they probably don't fit in coach anymore.

Anyways, when you hit 1MM lifetime miles on AA, you get Lifetime Gold. When you hit 2MM lifetime miles you get Lifetime Platinum. As with UA MM, you will have you "MM" status printed on your regular card. I don't think it shows up on AA manifests though, unlike UA where it shows "1K Million" or "PE Million" on the manifest.

The AA Challenges

I cannot comment too much on your chances of getting AA to comp you based on your UA status. I can tell you that when I started flying AA a few years ago, they comped me to Platinum status based on my 1K status, but it was a painful process involving several phone calls (they originally were only going to comp me to Gold status and I told them that was unacceptable). Don't expect to get comped to Executive Platinum status unless you are a very high-revenue customer and can prove it.

Fortunately, even if you don't get comped to a status level that you are happy with, AA offers the Gold Challenge and Platinum Challenge, which give you a way to earn status quickly - there is no equivalent at UA. You sign up for the challenge by calling AA and saying "sign me up for the challenge" or something like that. Here's how it works:

From when you sign-up, you have three months to complete the challenge. To complete the Gold challenge, you must earn 5,000 q-points in those three months. To complete the Platinum challenge, you must earn 10,000 q-points during that time. Officially, you can only sign up for one or the other, not both, so if you think you're going to be able to do the 10,000 q-points, you should go for the Platinum challenge. Unofficially, there have been several reports of people doing both challenges simultaneously.

Now, there are two very important things to realize about the Challenges. First, they are based on q-points and only on q-points (remember that you earn a minimum of 500 q-points per segment). Q-miles (status miles) and segments flown are meaningless for the purpose of the challenge. So if you're flying in discount coach, you'll need 10,000 miles for Gold and 20,000 miles for Platinum in that three month period. Of course, if you're lucky enough to be flying in PAID F, you only need 3,333 miles for Gold and 6,666 miles for Platinum.

Second, if you sign-up for the challenge prior to July, you will only receive status through Feb of the following year (meaning that you'll have to earn it for real in the remainder of the year to keep it). However, if you sign-up after July, you will earn the status through the entire next year. Okay, in real world terms, if you sign up now (Jan 03) and complete the challenge, AA will only give you status through Feb 04. You'll have to earn it for real in 2003 to extend it out to Feb 05. However, if you wait until July 03 and then sign up and complete the challenge, AA will give you status through Feb 05, regardless of whether you qualify for real in 2003.

Lastly, I should note, that you cannot re-qualify by doing a challenge. If you're already Platinum, you can't requal PLT for a year by doing a challenge. You'd have to wait until the following year, when you'd be dropped down to Gold status and then you could do another Platinum Challenge.

Status Perks

I'm going to go into more detail later on the biggest perk of all - upgrades - so forget about those for a second. Most of the perks on AA are identical to UA (the airplane execs aren't exactly known for their creative thinking). PLTs and EXPs get 100% mileage bonuses, just like 1Ps and 1Ks (guess what, its 25% for GLDs just like 2P). All status levels get their own phone numbers and elite check-in lines. Here's my perception of the differences:

- The EXP phone line is far superior to the 1K line. Heck, the PLT phone line is far superior to the 1K line. Without exception, the EXP line is answered, "American Executive Platinum Desk, Mr./Mrs. John/Jane Smith speaking." And it just gets better from there. These folks are really good. Unlike UA, they will call yield management on your behalf to try to open up upgrades on international flights. I usually don't even have to ask - they volunteer to do it. Even with the new "no waivers - no favors" policy at AA, the EXP desk is still great.

- In the same vein, the EXP desk makes outbound phone calls to let you know when upgrades have cleared or occasionally during irregular operations. This was once a stated benefit for 1Ks, but I've never had it actually happen.

- AA gives its PLTs and EXPs bag tags (silver for PLT, black for EXP). Small detail that is probably going to cause them to go bankrupt in the end, but its nice. I can waive my status in everyone's face and inflate my ego.

- Elite pre-boarding. AA actually boards First Class (and only First Class) first on domestic flights, unlike UA, where elites are invited to board with First class and ultimately everyone jams into the gate area in one mass of confusion. Following F boarding, AA boards by group number in coach. All EXPs, PLTs, GLDs and OneWorld Emeralds, Sapphires and Rubys will be Group 1. At this point, everyone jams into the gate area in one mass of confusion. Unfortunately, most AA agents are no better than UA agents at fighting off the crowd. But I do have to say that the group number thing, when its enforced by the AAgent, actually works quite well.

- Elite seat blocking - AA will block center seats for elites in coach just like UA. Occasionally, you can get the seat next to you blocked on the "2-side" of an MD80, which gives you the aisle and window all to yourself.

- I'm pretty sure that EXPs are guaranteed coach availability on a flight (so long as they pay the Y fare and book it 24 hrs in advance). I can't remember whether 1Ks get the same benefit. I rarely buy Y, so I forget.

Fees

Be warned that AA has a lot of fees that UA doesn't:

- $50 "expedite fee" to redeem a mileage award or upgrade less than 21 days out (waived for EXPs). Its $75 if its less than 7 days out (again waved for EXPs)

- $100 date change fee for Y saver awards

- $100 mileage redeposit fee (only $75 on UA)

- $25 for checked bags over 50lbs on domestic flights. UA still allows 75lb bags without a fee.

Domestic Upgrades

AA's policy on domestic upgrades is strikingly similar to UA's policy. I'm going to assume that everyone here is familiar with UA's rules, so I won't bore you with those details. I'm only going to highlight the differences here:

- Most AA'ers will still call 500 mile upgrades "stickers", but I'm going to refer to them as "e-upgrades". When I say e-upgrades, I mean 500-milers. AA went to paperless e-upgrades a few years before UA, so the AA folks barely remember what paper upgrades look like. If I'm referring to other upgrade materials (HK49s, SWUs, VIPOWs, mileage upgrades), I'll make sure its clear.

- As with UA, you will still earn 4 e-upgrades for every 10,000 status miles flown. I don't remember if UA resets the counter, but AA does on Feb 28. You can also purchase them. AA just raised the price of its e-upgrades to $40 apiece if bought in advance (for GLDs, PLTs and EXPs). They are $50 apiece if you buy them at the airport. They are rumored to be even more expensive if you don't have status - plan on bringing several gold bars.

- E-upgrades on AA never expire. They will just sit there and grow old. You always have the option of exchanging them for 500 miles, just like on UA. (This is a sore subject for AA international flyers - you used to be able to exchange them for 2,500 miles each, but it was recently reduced)

- As with UA, you request an upgrade, and it will automatically clear at the appropriate window (100,72,24 hours) if available. If is does not clear, you will be waitlisted. If it still hasn't cleared when the flight goes to airport control, you will need to get yourself on the airport upgrade list when you check-in. (this all seems pretty familiar, huh?) The difference is that AA's airport list will clear first by status, then by time of check-in, whereas UA's airport list clears first by status, then by fare paid. UA's system seems more fair (or fare?) to me, but if you're hoping for an upgrade to clear at the airport on AA, make sure you check in early. One more thing - AA won't give you a departure management card (or "DM card") when you get on the airport upgrade list (or any other airport list, like standby). You just have to take their word for it that they've actually put you on the correct list. Most of the time, they actually do.

- AA offers complimentary domestic upgrades to GLDs, PLTs and EXPs on PAID Y/B fares. These upgrades are still capacity controlled and will still clear at the normal 100, 72, and 24hr windows, but the e-upgrades will not be subtracted from your account. Remember, you still have to request this upgrade just like a normal one. In fact, it is a normal upgrade - they take the e-upgrades out of your account and then re-deposit them.

- AA calculates the number of e-upgrades required for a multi-segment flight differently than UA. On UA, if I'm going from SFO-ORD-MSY, assuming both segment upgrades clear before the flight, that will only cost me 4 e-upgrades because UA calculates the straight line distance, not counting any connecting cities (SFO-MSY = 1,910 miles). However, on AA, the same flights will cost me 6 e-upgrades because AA calculates each segment separately (SFO-ORD = 1,846 miles, ORD-MSY = 836 miles). The only exception is if you are on a "direct" flight on AA - same flight number on both segments.

- AA's short and mid-range aircraft have more first class seats, increasing your chances for an upgrade. Whereas most UA short and mid-range flights are operated on 737s or A319s (8 First class seats in each), most AA flights are on MD80s which have 14 First class seats. As a 1K and EXP, I find I can upgrade successfully on 95%+ of my flights on both airlines. The big difference is for Platinums - when I was PLT on AA I was still getting 80%+ of my upgrades, which I think is probably a better average than most UA 1P's will see.

- Unlike UA, AA sells most of its three class planes (777,763) as two-class flights when they operate on domestic routes (the premium transcons are the exception) - the business class seats are considered coach seats. These flights are notoriously difficult to upgrade, but if your upgrade clears, you'll be sitting in International First Class seats (albeit on a short flight with domestic first class service). A rare opportunity for us discount coach folks to experience the Flagship Suite (AA's version of First Suites) or the "Coffins" (as we AA folks affectionately refer to the sleeper seats on the 763). Like I said, I'll go into this in more detail later (yes, the 763s are all being converted to two-class planes), but suffice to say its cool to be able to use e-upgrades to get into a Flagship Suite. And even if your upgrade doesn't clear, on these "3-class sold as 2-class flights" AA allows EXPs, PLTs and GLDs to reserve "coach" seats in the business class cabin. Its still coach service, but at least you get a nice seat.

- AA does not have an equivalent to UA's HK-49, the domestic confirmed upgrades given to 1Ks on a quarterly basis. AA's VIPOWs can be used domestically (just as SWUs can), but most people agree that this is a waste of a perfectly good VIPOW, and that its much better to use them on international flights. Incidentally, if you do happen to use a VIPOW on an all-domestic itinerary, you'll be happy to know that it is not capacity controlled - it books directly into F or J, which also means that you will get F or J mileage bonuses and q-points.

- Without HK49s, the only way to confirm a domestic upgrade at the time of booking on AA is using a mileage upgrade. Suffice to say that mileage upgrades on AA, just like on UA, are capacity controlled and are rather expensive at 15K miles one-way from discount coach (especially when you consider that the F award ticket is only 40K total). To be honest, I rarely upgrade domestically with miles, so I'm probably not as qualified as some to discuss the subtle differences here. One thing that I should point out though is that until recently, all AA mileage awards (including upgrades) were paper certificates. As a result, if you requested one less than 21 days in advance of your flight, they charged you a fee (see Fees section above). The awards are no longer paper, but they still charge you the expedite fee unless you're EXP. Its one of the more ridiculous things about AA. And BTW, these expedite fees apply to all award travel, whether free tickets or upgrades.

- I cannot comment on any differences in operational upgrades (either domestically or internationally) as I've never been the recipient of one on either UA or AA in my 10 years of flying. Personally, I would never ever count on one happening (especially domestically) and if it does, consider yourself lucky. Kind of like going to Vegas and sitting at the craps table while some guy rolls points for 30 straight minutes before crapping out. Okay... I'm daydreaming now. I digress... One more important point about AA "op-ups" is that they will occasionally give you what you think is an operational on a domestic segment, when in fact they actually pull e-upgrades out of your account. Watch out for this.

International Upgrades

As with UA, there are essentially two ways to upgrade an international flight on AA: mileage upgrades and SWUs. Except that SWUs are called VIPOWs (VIP One-Way) at AA. I'm not going to go into Customer Service upgrades and so on. Again, I'm assuming that the reader is familiar with UA's program so I'm only going to highlight the differences here:

- VIPOW is pronounced viii-POW with an emphasis on the "POW", not ve-eye-pee-oh-double-u. SWU is pronounced swoooo, as if calling a herd of pigs. Okay, maybe this is just me.

- AA EXPs receive eight VIPOWS each year in their kit. They also receive eight VIPOWs when they first qualify for EXP, meaning that the first time you qualify for EXP, you'll get 16 VIPOWs (eight in your original kit and eight in the kit they send you the following February). VIPOWs are valid for one year from when they are issued. So you're likely to see a greater variety of VIPOW expiration dates than SWUs (which generally all expire in March).

- VIPOWs are good on any published fare at AA. Unless its a Priceline ticket or an award ticket, you can VIPOW it.

- VIPOWs are good for up to three segments each. AA is not as liberal as UA in its definition of "one-way". I have personally used a SWU to upgrade MIA-ORD-SFO-HNL-NRT-SIN and I know others have been equally successful, so long as there are no 24 hour stopovers en-route to the final destination. I've never tried this on AA, but I don't think it would fly.

- VIPOWs are only valid on AA marketed and operated flights. No codeshares. No One World partner flights.

- In my experience AA ticket agents are much more diligent in collecting VIPOWs than their UA counterparts are with collecting SWUs.

- As with SWUs, VIPOWs are transferable and may be used to confirm upgrade for anyone, but may not be sold or bartered under the penalty of pain.

- International mileage upgrades are valid on any published fare on AA. Again, unless it’s a Priceline or award ticket, you can use a mileage upgrade. None of this H fare or higher nonsense. But take note of the expedite fee if you request it less than 21 days out (unless you're EXP). Interestingly, because you can upgrade any fare with miles at AA, its somewhat decreases the demand for (and therefore value of) VIPOWs.

- Yield Management at AA doesn't seem to be quite as hyperactive as they are these days at UA. I've had most of my international upgrades clear at time of booking on AA, unlike UA where they usually don't clear until a few days out.

Equipment

Frankly, I'll take a UA 744 over the Pacific over anything AA has. AA's equipment looks like this:

772 - 3-class, mostly to high-margin business destinations like LHR/LGW, NRT and EZE. Currently comes in two configurations, Atlantic, which has Flagship Suites in First and Pacific which has regular sleeper seats in First, but also has seven more business class seats. Both configurations have 60" pitch in J and MRTC (More Room Throughout Coach). Rumored to be going to a single config this year (but we're not sure which). Interestingly, as you would expect from an airline, there is little or no correlation between which configuration you will get (Atlantic or Pacific) and which ocean you will fly over (Atlantic, Pacific or neither to SA).

763 - The other international airplane at AA - goes to lower margin destinations. Currently being converted from 3-class to 2-classes. While its still around, F has sleeper seats (affectionately called "coffins") that have 92" of pitch and cool little compartments to stash your cabin baggage in. 60" of pitch in J (but narrower seats than the 777) and MRTC.

763 (Hawaii) - Fortunately, these are all being converted to international 763s with 2 classes and 60" pitch in J. They sucked just as badly as UA's Hawaii config planes (but still had MRTC).

762 - Like UA, AA uses these 3-class planes mostly for premium transcon routes (LAX-JFK, etc). Unlike UA, AA's 762s have decent seats that aren't falling apart. First has the "Woolley Mammoth" - its old but comfortable. Business has international biz-class seats, but with 50" of pitch instead of 60" (still, much much better than the 40" on a UA 762). MRTC in the back.

M80 - Ah yes, the ubiquitous AA MD-80. Not as bad as some might say, but definitely a cramped little sucker. Used on short-haul and mid-con routes like SFO-DFW, DFW-LGA, etc. Configured 2-2 in F with narrow seats and 2-3 in Y (AB-DEF) but at least there's MRTC. 14 F-class seats mean more upgrades available than on UA’s 737s and A319/320s. If its important to you, keep in mind that these planes don’t have any IFE – no radio, no nothing. Also note that the ex-TWA MD-80s have 16 F seats instead of 14, meaning that if you want to marginally increase your chances of scoring that upgrade (especially for GLDs), fly through STL.

738 - On balance, these are nice, new planes. Unfortunately, they have the range to do transcons and AA uses them for exactly that. You'll also find them on a lot of ORD-west coast routes. 20 seats up front and (you guessed it) MRTC in the back.

757 - Used on transcons and midcons. Usually has the old crummy leather seats in First, unless its an ex-TWA plane, in which case it will have the old, crummy cloth seats in F. MRTC in back. Warning: these planes are also used on international flights to northern South America, like MIA-CCS and MIA-LIM. At least they call it Business class on these flights, but its still the same old domestic 38" pitch seat. 22 seats up front I believe (2 less than UA 757s) and MRTC in the back.

AB6 - Airbus 300-600. Old planes that hold lots and lots of people in coach (even with MRTC). Not surprisingly, they're used on Caribbean holiday routes and JFK/BOS-MIA. Nothing to write home about in First either - old leather seats last time I flew one. They also have a tendency to crash into suburban neighborhoods around JFK.

100 - The F*kker 100, AA's version of ex-Sh*ttle planes. At least it has MRTC. About the only thing that can be said for this little quirky plane is that its better than an RJ. These planes also serve Mexico routes. AA is phasing these out over the next few years.

There you have it - the mainline AA fleet. Overall, AA has done a much better job of standardizing their fleet than UA has. Once the 763s are completely reconfigured to two-class service, there will only be 9 different variants in their mainline service. Unlike UA, which has a bazillion different 777 configurations (well, okay, its only three) some of which don't even have E+.

I’m not going to go into American Eagle service – fortunately I’ve been able to avoid both UX and AE in most of my flying. All I know (from AA’s own advertising) is that all AE flights from ORD are now RJs. Unfortunately, quite a few of these have replaced old mainline flights.

Seat Comfort

Coach

All AA aircraft have More Room Throughout Coach (MRTC). Never again will you get stuck in an E- seat. This is about as much as I can say about AA's coach seat, because I try not to spend too much time in it.

Domestic First Class

Overall, I prefer UA's domestic first class seats. Although the pitch is usually about the same (38-40"), UA's seats are the nice soft padded cloth, whereas AA's are a hard leather material. Maybe its just the way the seats are built, but UA's also seem to recline a little more. And this is really nitpicky, but when you recline and raise the UA seats, its a smooth motion, whereas AA's seats tend to be very jerky on recline and incline - its sort of an all or nothing proposition sometimes. But hey, they're domestic first class seats, what do you expect?

International / Transcon Business

All AA international 763s and 777s have 60" pitch in Business. AA's 762s, which operate on premium transcon flights have 50" pitch in Business (much better than UA's 762s). Other than that, they’re the same seats. The 777s have personal TVs, but not on-demand video. On international flights on 763s, you will get a personal DVD player, Bose headsets and a selection of DVDs. While I’ve mentioned it, you get the Bose headsets on the 777 too.

AA's business class seats are IMHO, far less comfortable than their UA counterparts. They are made of a stiff leather-like material that is much less comfortable than UA's cloth seats. The headrests stick out at a weird angle and are frequently broken, so they won't stay up. The footrests are frequently broken, and even if they work, don't come up very far. Most importantly, even though UA and AA both claim 150' recline (UA C+), AA's seats feel like they recline a lot less than UA's. Put it this way - I get a good night's sleep in a UA C+ seat and I can barely sleep in an AA J seat. I don't know why this is - AA's seats have 5" more of pitch than UA C+ (60" vs. 55"), but they just won't go back very far. I guess, the positive side of this is that its easier to get out from a window seat if the person on the aisle in front of you has fully reclined (its nearly impossible in UA C-, and only marginally easier in UA C+).

At least on AA, you’ll never have to worry about whether your 777 is going to have C+ or C- pitch. They’re all 60” and C--.

I should also note that the UA seats have electronically controlled massaging lumbar, whereas the AA ones have a mechanically controlled (non-massaging) lumbar that (surprise) never really works well.

International First Class Suites

UA has First Suites on all 744 and 777 aircraft. AA has Flagship Suites on their Atlantic-configured 777s. Both are installed at a herringbone angle in the F cabin in a 1-2-1 configuration. Here's the major differences:

- UA's suite seats are fixed in place, whereas AA's swivel around to either face the person next to you (or the window), face at an angle for reclining/sleeping, or face straight forward for takeoff and landing. Annoyingly, the AA seats only recline if they are at the correct angle. Otherwise they are straight up.

- UA's are more comfortable to sleep in - again for me its the soft padded fabric vs. the hard leather on AA. Neither carrier provides duvets or sleeping pad any longer.

- AA's have a much nicer desk area and a huge tray table. You can eat and have your computer going at the same time quite easily.

- UA's are probably better for flying with someone - the middle two seats are pretty open and its easy to converse and share things (!) between the two suites. AA's are more enclosed, which is probably better if you're by yourself, but a little difficult if you're traveling with someone.

Onboard Power

With the exception of ex-TWA MD80s and 757s (which can be identified by flight numbers greater than 2600 and the fact that they're probably either going into or out of STL), all AA planes have Empower power ports in every First and Business class seat and some Coach seats. And guess what, they usually work too! A huge improvement over UA.

One important thing to note is that AA's power ports use a cigarette adaptor, unlike UA's "empower" ports. My Targus power adaptor came with a cigarette adaptor thing that slides over the empower adaptor. YMMV.

Route Network

No rocket science here, if you switch from UA to AA, here's the differences:

- AA's Asia network is very weak (only SJC-NRT, DFW-NRT, ORD-NRT and JFK-NRT). From NRT, you'll end up on JAL codeshares that earn miles, but can't be upgraded. However, AA is starting code-sharing with CX soon, which will hopefully improve the situation. You can use AA miles to upgrade CX flights now, but that will go away in August 2003.

- AA pretty much has a monopoly on South America and the Caribbean, where UA is very weak.

- UA and AA have comparable European networks with minor differences. No SFO-LHR flight on AA – the only west coast to Europe flight is LAX-LHR.

- No AU/NZ flights on AA metal. You'll have to fly Qantas codeshares (meaning no upgrades).

- Both carriers do "premium" transcons on the LAX-JFK and SFO-JFK routes. If you frequently fly transcon and it doesn't involve ATL or EWR, then AA is really the only other game in town.

- AA is very weak on the west coast and they're cutting back on their SJC mini-hub by getting rid of all the old Reno Air routes. Their plans to beef up LAX I believe have been put on hold for the time being. If you're on the west coast, you're going to have a hell of a time with AA.

- Instead of connecting through DEN and ORD a lot, you'll be connecting through DFW, STL, and ORD a lot on AA. DFW is a terrible airport to connect through - especially when you come into one terminal and out of another. All seasoned AA flyers know to avoid the DFW "Traain" like the plague. Always walk at DFW. At ORD, you'll also miss the cool light show and Brian Eno music (though lately its mostly been Rhapsody in Blue) in the B/C tunnel at ORD, but AA's setup at ORD isn't bad (except the L gates, but even those aren't that bad). STL is also horrible for connecting if you have to go from a C gate to a D gate.

- Speaking of connecting hubs, forget about MIA on AA. MIA is so bad that I could write an entire discourse, even longer than this one, on the perils of MIA. MIA is so bad it gets its own bullet point here just so I can rant about it. I hate MIA almost as much as I hate Raymond (you'll see in a second).

On Board Service

This section refers to premium cabin service (domestic F and int'l J/F). Suffice to say, it can't go downhill much from UA, especially with the recent cuts in food service. I think with both carriers it comes down to flight crew and if you get a good one, it'll be a pleasant flight. If you don't, well...

Anyways, here are the few tangible differences I can think of:

- Unlike 1Ks, EXPs do NOT get first choice of meals in F and C. AA goes strictly front-back on even numbered flights and back-front on odd-numbered flights.

- Most AA mid-cons and trans-cons still have ice cream sundaes. Mmmm... ice cream! Your choice of chocolate fudge, butterscotch or strawberry toppings, along with whipped cream and nuts. No cherries. Some people get really crazy and ask for all three toppings.

- AA has printed menus on premium transcons. Their printed menus on international flights are much nicer than UA's.

- AA now charges for booze in Y on European and Asian flights. For the time being, its still free on South American flights.

- AA still uses plastic forks and spoons, whereas UA at least has the common decency to give you metal forks and spoons (and of course a plastic knife).

- AA usually has better catering and includes four entree choices in business and first, instead of UA's 3.

- AA has warm nuts in domestic F and international C and F. mmm... warm nuts!

- AA's obento meal to/from NRT is not as good as UA's.

- No Deluxe Double Cheeseburger on AA. You know what I'm talking about.

- International F and J service on AA is a little better (on paper anyways). Unfortunately, AA's FA's usually make up for this with surly service. Although I have yet to see an 81 year old FA on AA (Iris, for those who haven’t had the pleasure of meeting her, frequently works UA’s SFO-HKG flights)

- The amenity kits provided in int'l F and J on AA are nicer than the ones on UA. The toothpaste doesn't taste like glue and the Origins moisture lotion and lip balm are nice (no lip balm for UA C). Really, its all about the lip balm, isn't it?

- AA gives out larger water bottles on international flights and seems to be less stingy with them than UA. On long-haul UA transpacs, we're usually drinking from the tap by the time we cross the dateline. No so on AA - perhaps better catering?

- AA's NRSA employee's are much better behaved than UA's. I'm sure they are still there, but they are MUCH less obvious about it.

- Now we're getting really detailed, but AA doesn't rip your boarding card at the gate - they scan it and give you the whole thing back. Also, when they're hanging your coat in C or F, they won't take your boarding card to hang on the hanger - they will write down your seat number instead, leading to a few more problems getting coats back to the correct person on AA.

- On AA, in domestic F and international C, your blanket and pillow are likely to be in the seat back in front of you, not on your seat. The domestic blankets in F on AA are a red felt-like material that usually sheds on your clothing. I prefer the blue UA blankets. Like UA, AA gives you more substantial blankets in int'l C and F than in domestic F.

- On AA, Everybody Hates Raymond. No really, we despise him. He is on over and over and over and over. God, I hate that guy.

- No Channel 9 on AA. I really, really miss it.

Lounges

I'm a member of both the Red Carpet Club and Admirals Club and have spent a fair amount of time at a lot of different RCCs and ACs, and frankly there’s not much difference between the two. Some RCCs are nice (SFO, DEN) and some aren’t (ORD B). Some ACs are nice (DFW C) and some aren’t (BOS). Even the best of them can be crowded and filled with sniveling children. Anyways, here’s the few differences:

- All ACs are wired for 802.11b wireless Ethernet using T-Mobile HotSpot. Superb!!

- The ACs in LHR, NRT, ORD, MIA, DFW, LAX and JFK have showers. MIA is ground-side so you can use the showers on arrival from South America. None of the RCCs in the US have showers. A few of the Int'l RCCs have showers (LHR, NRT and HKG at least).

- ACs are more likely to have Internet PC's available - at least BOS, ORD, DFW, MIA, SJC, LAX, and JFK. Very few (if any) RCC's have these.

- The RCC in MIA has free self-service booze, even if you're flying domestically. None of the domestic ACs do.

- ACs require you to show your card and photo identification to get in (they announced this change in the name of security post-9/11). Now this may seem small, but frankly its annoying. Don't say I didn't warn you.

- When I'm abroad, I almost never use ACs or RCCs, as most Star and OneWorld partners have much nicer lounges, so I can't really comment on these.

- First Class lounges - AA has Flagship lounges in ORD, BOS and LHR. They are closing the F lounges in MIA and DFW effective 1/31, but are also talking about opening new ones in JFK and LAX. They are nice and have plenty of free self-serve booze, food, computers, and a generally quiet environment. Actually fairly similar to the UA F lounges in ORD and LHR (the only ones I've been in). I should point out that there are no Int'l F concierges with red carnations at AA. AA doesn't escort you to your flight.

- AA's Flagship lounges are open to F pax and EXPs on premium transcon routes. For now, this just means BOS, but will soon include JFK and LAX.

- Arrivals Facilities - AA will allow upgraded business class pax to use arrivals facilities, whereas United does not (you have to be C,F,XC,XF or NF on UA to use Arrivals). While I'm thinking about it - over at AA we call upgraded business "C" (as opposed to paid biz which is "J"), which I suppose is a little confusing at first for a UA flyer who is used to "C" being paid business and "NC" being upgraded business.

Star vs. OneWorld

Speaking of OneWorld, here’s my take on the primary differences between the two big alliances, from the perspective of an AA/UA flyer:

- OneWorld has fewer partners (only eight), but they are beauties. Cathay in Asia, BA in Europe, LanChile in South America and Qantas in Australia. Great opportunities to redeem your hard-earned miles on high-quality international Business or First class tickets with some of the best carriers in the world. Oh yeah, there’s also Aer Lingus, Finnair and Iberia. You're giving up SQ, but from what I hear (I haven't tried it myself), its awfully difficult to redeem UA miles on SQ anyways.

- OneWorld has three tiers - Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald. If you make EXP, you'll be Emerald. The primary benefit of Emerald is entrance to any OneWorld FIRST CLASS lounge when flying on a OneWorld partner, regardless of class of service. Yes, this means the BA First lounge in LHR and The Wing in HKG, along with the AA Flagship Lounges (which are actually quite nice). If you're into lounges, this is a huge benefit. If you're not, then please just ignore those of us who are.

- OneWorld has much better RTW rules, especially for high-mileage trips. The One World Explorer (OWE) does not have a mileage limit, but instead has segment limits in each continent. Unlike RTWSTAR fares with their 29K, 34K and 39K mileage limits, you could hypothetically do 90K+ status miles on a single six-continent OWE fare. That’s nearly EXP status on a single RTW in coach, not to mention getting to see some pretty cool places around the world.

- You cannot credit BA flights across the Atlantic to your AAdvantage account. This is a major drawback of OneWorld. If you fly enough to hit EXP and then some, you can always credit BA flights to a BAEC or Qantas account and attempt to get some status and miles with another OneWorld carrier. Otherwise, you're either going to have to fly AA across the Atlantic or be happy not earning any miles. If its any consolation, the BA folks don't earn BAEC Tier Points on AA flights over the Atlantic either, but then again, they have a perfectly good long-haul carrier to fly.

- On the postitive side, unlike STAR, you will earn your status bonus (25% for GLD, 100% for PLT/EXP) on flights on other OneWorld airlines.

UAL.com vs. AA.com

An afterthought that didn't really fit into the document anywhere, so I'm adding it here. Both UA and AA's websites suck (hey, they were built by consultants like me, what do you expect?) but AA's sucks less. The differences:

- AA.com will consistently show ALL of your itineraries, regardless of what phase the moon may be in. However, if you book an itinerary on the web and then have a human agent make changes, you won't be able to see it on the web (it will show up, but you won't be able to access it).

- AA.com lets you request domestic e-upgrades and change seats on flights you've already booked.

- AA.com will not let you book international award tickets.

- There is no EasyUpdate on AA.com. You have to manually put a flight notification in for each flight segment. Not fun.

Summary

Whew, when I started this a few hours ago, I had no idea I would write this much stuff. But, there it is, my (mostly) impartial view on the differences between AA and UA. Obviously its all from my perspective... yours probably will vary. Now, I'll tell you how I really feel.

I like AA equal or better than UA for almost everything except the following:

- UA's seat comfort, especially in international Business
- UA's great Asia network
- HK49s
- Channel 9

Areas where AA really shines are:

- EXP phone line
- MRTC (if you have to fly coach)
- 8 VIPOWs instead of 6 SWUs
- No fare restrictions on Int’l upgrades
- SA/Caribbean route network
- More F seats on domestic short-hauls = more upgrades
- OneWorld Emerald status

I want to like UA better. I was a 1K well before I was an EXP and UA was MY airline of choice. I always regarded AA as a strange distant competitor, best avoided, sort of like CO and NW. Well, a couple of years ago I ended up moving to Dallas and was more or less forced to start flying AA. I got comped to PLT and started splitting my flights between UA and AA. At first, flying AA was strange - all the little differences really stood out. Every time I got back on a UA flight, it was like being HOME again.

Now after flying both for quite a while and getting used to AA, I can honestly tell you that AA does a lot of things better than UA: the EXP desk is awesome, upgrades are easier to come by, the domestic route network suits me better, the lounge perks of OneWorld Emerald are awesome, etc etc. I still WANT to like UA better. I want to be able to walk into the 1K Room in SFO and chat up my angels there (I actually spent a night in the little corridor outside that 1K room once during the SFH, only to have my angels arrive at 6am and take great care of me). I still THINK of UA as MY airline of choice, even though AA beats it on paper in my opinion. They keep making it more and more difficult for me though.

I hope some of you have found this marginally helpful. If not, feel free to keep your comments to yourselves. Like I said at the outset, this is not meant to be a comprehensive guide, but covers the things that I felt like touching on. Please feel free to correct any inaccuracies, and I’ll try to go back and edit my original.

[This message has been edited by JSD (edited 01-25-2003).]
Old Jan 25, 2003, 3:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
>>>>The primary benefit of Emerald is entrance to any OneWorld FIRST CLASS lounge when flying on a OneWorld partner, regardless of class of service. Yes, this means the BA First lounge in LHR and The Wing in HKG<<<

Just when I thought I had this program sorted out, something new that works to my favor I'll be on BA LHR-AMS next month and will check out the BA F lounge.

Did you want to add in the seasonal service to BCN (and I think FCO, too)?

Great job (and serious commitment of time) putting this together. I'm going to print it out and read it again on mu UA flights tonight.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Some additions for UA vs. AA

Claiming award tickets

$75 fee (vs. $0 for UA) for any awards claimed with departure dates <21 day from the date of ticketing. Waived for EXP's.

Partner mileage earning

You earn status bonus miles [25% for GLD and 100% for PLT/EXP] on oneWorld partner flights. UA only lets you earn status bonus miles on UA-coded flights.

Lounges

AA allows passengers who upgrade from coach to business class to use Arrivals facilities (LHR and CDG), where UA does not.

AC in NRT has showers as well.

PC's available in BOS, ORD, DFW, MIA, SJC, LAX, and JFK.

[This message has been edited by Plato90s (edited 01-25-2003).]
Old Jan 25, 2003, 3:35 pm

Also add that PC's are available in the lounges at DFW, LAX, SJC (anywhere else?).

[This message has been edited by tom911 (edited 01-25-2003).]
Old Jan 25, 2003, 3:37 pm

duplicate

Old Jan 25, 2003, 3:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

Phenomenal summary. Absolutely stellar. I'm both a United 1K and an AA Executive Platinum. You've done a marvelous job of capturing the differences.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plt, AS G, MR Ti, IC
****. I skimmed the plane section since I knew about the common ones and wanted to get to the high (and low) lights of the differences faster, but otherwise, while sitting here and enjoying the sun, I read your guide. Great piece of work.

FWIW I think its very accurate too. I'm not EXP on AA but as a PLT I agree that the PLT line has only let me down once or twice and is often more helpful than the 1K line.

I flew a little more than you last year, more on UA - partly convenience of routing with travel and partly a year or two behind you in sending more business AA's way I guess
Old Jan 25, 2003, 3:42 pm
JSD
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Plato90s:

Claiming award tickets

$75 fee (vs. $0 for UA) for any awards claimed with departure dates &lt;21 day from the date of ticketing. Waived for EXP's.

Partner mileage earning

You earn status bonus miles [25% for GLD and 100% for PLT/EXP] on oneWorld partner flights. UA only lets you earn status bonus miles on UA-coded flights.

Lounges

AA allows passengers who upgrade from coach to business class to use Arrivals facilities (LHR and CDG), where UA does not.

AC in NRT has showers as well.
</font>
Great points and all very true! I'll add these to the original post.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 3:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Plato90s:

Claiming award tickets

$75 fee (vs. $0 for UA) for any awards claimed with departure dates &lt;21 day from the date of ticketing. Waived for EXP's.

</font>
this has changed. It's $50 for &lt; 21 days and $75 for &lt; 7 days. extra simultaneous redemptions are $20 each. waived for EXP.

but wow, what a summary! Kudos to JSD!
Old Jan 25, 2003, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
FABULOUS job! You really captured this well and came up with a few things I hadn't even thought of.

Here are my additions:

* You must remember to REQUEST a comp upgrade if you are GLD/PLT/EXP flying on a Y/B fare. If you don't request it, you don't get it. When you check-in, they will actually take upgrades out of your account and credit them back, so you will see a -2/+2 type transaction.

* I have gotten operational upgrades on both carriers (although I've only had international ones on AA). UA seems to hand them out more domestically and one thing to watch with AA is that your upgrade balance hasn't been tampered with. If the gate agent asks you if you want to upgrade (as opposed to just handing you an upgraded boarding pass), always ASK if it isn't a flight you would want to see stickers deducted for.

* JSD has nailed it on DFW being a HORRID airport for connections. The "TrAAin" (our people mover" is horrid and slow and broken at least 20% of the time. What this means is incredibly long walks from one terminal to the next. A half mile to a mile long. Not fun on a connection. STL isn't much better... the airport is congested, outdated, and frequently has broken moving sidewalks. I get my workouts in airports. ORD, on the other hand, seems to be a smoother place to connect for AA folks than UA folks. YMMV.

* I can go on all day about catering... UA's is horrible compared to AA's, IMHO. (I do have to note, however, that the whipped cream on the sundaes is actually Cool Whip.) AA has printed menus on transcons and international flights with pretty detailed food descriptions. Also, AA FA's are generally prepared to offer a greater explanation of the meals than UA FA's are. AA puts your salad dressing on your salad in the galley (or off the salad cart). One notable food exception, however, is that UA's bento box is better than AA's Japanese meal. AA serves almost all F & J meals (domestic & international) in multiple courses - none of this one tray stuff. No Eli's cheesecake on AA. AA has warm nuts on most flights. UA frequently has better wine selections than AA. UA is more liberal with the wine "gifts" too.

* AA only has audio on 737, 757, 767, 777, and A300 flights. If you fly most domestic routes, you will be doing it without audio. Movie selections change every 15 days. So does the inflight magazine. UA has Friends and Fraiser. AA has Everybody Loves Raymond, The King of Queens, and Becker.

* AA EXPs get to use the Flagship Lounges (AA's international F lounges) on the day of departure on any transatlantic, transpacific, or US/SA itinerary as well as when flying on a nonstop premium transcon flight REGARDLESS of which class of service they are ticketed in. The bad news is that the lounges at DFW and MIA are closing 1/31. This was probably my favorite EXP benefit - great hot and cold appetizers, desserts, self-serve alcohol, etc. The first several photos here ( http://ftpics.markbach.com/gallery/album20 ) are from the ORD Flagship Lounge.

-----

I wrote this trip report when I first defected from DL to UA earlier this year:

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/002621.html

Old Jan 25, 2003, 3:59 pm

Programs: All the best ones.

[This message has been edited by Peter M (edited 01-25-2003).]
Old Jan 25, 2003, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
Great!! Tremendous. I'm seriously thinking of making the switch back to AA. Your report is a real help.

------------------
UA-GSC/1K, M-M AA/DL,
Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plt.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 4:03 pm
hb1

Great Post. Here a few corrections/questions:

1. AA does fly to FCO (seasonally)

2. Although UA generally does not allow status bonuses on non-UA metal, I was under the impression that they just recently did so for LH flights, even on an LH code.

3. Questions: although you don't often fly coach, do you know if AA matches UA on: blocking middle seats next to elites (when loads permit) and allowing elites to board first regardless of row? These points might make helpful additions to your post. Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 4:04 pm

Fantastic job! One very small correction. While UA does fly to MUC, it does not fly to FCO.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 4:07 pm
JSD
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Peter M:
The comparison guide was a tremendous effort, but the sentence on A300; "They also have a tendency to crash into suburban neighborhoods around JFK" is in bad taste and undermines your integrity.</font>
Point taken. I'm sorry if you found it in poor taste, but the fact remains that a number of people are concerned about the safety record of these old planes. Perhaps I should have worded it differently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.