Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Find card benefits and updated information for every AMEX card issued in the USA here: http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...-benefits.html

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/credit-cards/credit-intel/purchase-protection/

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/purchase-protection-terms.html

Print Wikipost

American Express Purchase Protection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2007, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
American Express Purchase Protection

An item I am about to buy went on sale as refurbished. The manufacturer 1 year warranty still applies. Will purchase protection work the same way on refurbished items or is that an exclusion?
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:49 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by alect
An item I am about to buy went on sale as refurbished. The manufacturer 1 year warranty still applies. Will purchase protection work the same way on refurbished items or is that an exclusion?
If it is a mfg.'s warranty it should be covered. Why not call Amex and ask. And let us know what they say.

In my experience Amex goes out of its way to pay these sorts of claims. I suspect that there are very few who make them.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:15 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
What are the items excluded in the purchase protection plan in the US?

In France, pretty much everything is excluded so I can't even fathom what this protection could be used for... (sample of excluded items: computers, cameras, PDA, cell phones, MP3 players, camcorders, glasses). So I guess it only works for clothes and jewelry (but there is a maximum of 2500 Euros that they will pay per incident). Cigarettes burns are an exclusion...

I've bought lots of electronic equipment with my card thinking they were insured until I read the fine prints on the insurance policy...
Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by alect
The manufacturer 1 year warranty still applies. Will purchase protection work the same way on refurbished items or is that an exclusion?
The Purchase Protection Plan protects eligible purchases against accidental damage, loss, and theft for up to 90 days from the date of purchase. I think you are asking about the Buyers Assurance Plan which provides an extension on the original manufacturer's warranty for up to one additional year.

Unfortunately, refurbished items are excluded from both programs.

Start here....

https://www.onlineclaim.americanexpr...mand=CI.Logoff

Scroll down to Benefits Information, choose the plan you want to read about, click [Go], click [Complete Program Benefit Details] and the PDF will load.

Last edited by mia; Jun 3, 2007 at 10:40 am
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by mia
The Purchase Protection Plan protects eligible purchases against accidental damage, loss, and theft for up to 90 days from the date of purchase. I think you are asking about the Buyers Assurance Plan which provides an extension on the original manufacturer's warranty for up to one additional year.

Unfortunately, refurbished items are excluded from both programs.

Start here....

https://www.onlineclaim.americanexpr...mand=CI.Logoff

Scroll down to Benefits Information, choose the plan you want to read about, click [Go], click [Complete Program Benefit Details] and the PDF will load.
Yes sorry - my mistake - I meant to say Buyer's Assurance.

And a great link thanks ^
Old Jul 1, 2007, 7:08 pm

Programs: AMEX Rewards Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Continental and American
AMEX Purchase Protection

The other day I spilled some of my skin care stuff on a tee from A&F and consequently stained the shirt beyond what any amount of Shout could fix. I’ve used this service before and was really very impressed. So I called them and after providing a few details the guy said they would credit the account within a few days. I was wondering what kind of experience anyone else has had?
Old Jul 2, 2007, 12:36 am
In memoriam

I bought a vacuum at Sears years ago. After a couple of years (but still within the Amex extended warranty period) a hose broke. Amex sent me a check for the entire cost of the vacuum.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 1:50 am

My own story - bought a digital camera and related accessories valued at around $500. Within the 90 day protection period, I lost them. Sent in a claim form and receipts, and within a week was refunded the full amount.

Friend's story - bought some Bolle' sunglasses. Lost them within 2-3 days of purchase. Call to Amex - the CS identified the related charge and provided an immediate credit without him having to file any paperwork.

When Amex works, it really works.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I had a similar experience. I called a few days before the Amex warranty extension on a cordless phone exipired. They credited me with the full purchase price with no problem, receipt, hassle, or complaint. They found the purchase in my account history right away. I was quite surprised!
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:44 pm

Programs: Amex Plat
Red face Abbreviations

Originally Posted by Sojourn
The other day I spilled some of my skin care stuff on a tee from A&F and consequently stained the shirt beyond what any amount of Shout could fix. I’ve used this service before and was really very impressed. So I called them and after providing a few details the guy said they would credit the account within a few days. I was wondering what kind of experience anyone else has had?

All you people who put in abbrevations and think that everyone will know what you are talking about.

A&F - abercrombie and finch or whatever? Spend a couple extra seconds and type out the full name.

All of us aren't as smart as you!
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by realpix
All you people who put in abbrevations and think that everyone will know what you are talking about.

A&F - abercrombie and finch or whatever? Spend a couple extra seconds and type out the full name.

All of us aren't as smart as you!
Flyertalk revolves around abbreviations. I am not trying to be rude....but you should learn the abbreviations and live by them when posting on Flyertalk.

Back on-topic...I have used it several times before for sunglasses I broke, things I ruined, and I actually just used it again last night for some grease stains that didn't come out of a new shirt I bought. I love this benefit and it definitely keeps my spending on my Amex when I am debating what card to use.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 7:06 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum
There are lots of abbreviations on FT, but be honest
A&F is NOT a common abbreviation here.
I'm glad someone figured it out. I didn't.

Back on topic - are you all saying amex will refund your money even if you are at fault for ruining something through your own negligence or accident, or just being forgetful and losing your camera and sunglasses ? Sounds too good to be true. How many times I've lost my cell-phone I cant count them.

I can see extending a warranty on a mechanical device as reasonable, the rest is a surprise to me. Since you all speak so highly of this benefit I'm going to give this card a try.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by GPSFlyer
There are lots of abbreviations on FT, but be honest
A&F is NOT a common abbreviation here.
I'm glad someone figured it out. I didn't.

Back on topic - are you all saying amex will refund your money even if you are at fault for ruining something through your own negligence or accident, or just being forgetful and losing your camera and sunglasses ? Sounds too good to be true. How many times I've lost my cell-phone I cant count them.

I can see extending a warranty on a mechanical device as reasonable, the rest is a surprise to me. Since you all speak so highly of this benefit I'm going to give this card a try.
Most cards will not cover loss (Platinum and Centurion being the exceptions). There are two levels of Purchase Protection. Within 90 days, pretty much anything that happens to the item is covered. I've had a dog eat my brand new $800 GPS, and they cut me a check when all I did was fax in a receipt and mail in pictures of the mangled GPS. I've also had my dog eat a couple pairs of new shoes, and I received credit for them with no issue. Quite frankly, the benefit is incredible.

The other level is doubling the manufacturer warranty up to one year. That is called something else, and AMEX is also excellent about that benefit. I had a DirecTV HD-TiVo go belly up about 18-19 months in. I called DirecTV, and they said the only option was replacement. I called AMEX, they called DirecTV to confirm, and I soon received a check for $500 to get the receiver replaced.

These two benefits keep me buying my large ticket items on my AMEX Platinum.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Hmm... I paid the 1000$ deposit for the new Toyota RAV4 we bought this week with my SPG Amex

Just kidding... they wouldn't allow me to charge more than 1000$ to the Amex. The rest I had to pay by cheque.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: Premier 1K, 1 mm
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Hmm... I paid the 1000$ deposit for the new Toyota RAV4 we bought this week with my SPG Amex

Just kidding... they wouldn't allow me to charge more than 1000$ to the Amex. The rest I had to pay by cheque.
About 12 years ago I bought my daughter a $14,000 car on my Plat AMEX. An hour later, I could't use the card to rent a motel. It took a call to AMEX and a promise to pay within a week, Since I always pay on time, this surprised me.

On another note, I was once a no show for the first night at a $400 room at the Regent in Hong Kong (my stupid mistake on crossing international dateline). The hotel charged me, but AMEX extended me the courtesy of paying for that night.

Jack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.