Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT - VERY VERY OT Remember the BEA Dakotas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT - VERY VERY OT Remember the BEA Dakotas?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2008, 12:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I remember as a small child (probably about age 5) being put on a plane by my father in Zurich to fly home to London as a UM. He told me not to worry if I looked out of the window and the plane didn't have any propellers as it was a new sort of plane called a jet that didn't need them. The story has become family folklore now, so my father's recollection that it was a Comet may not be correct. But it certainly didn't have propellers because I remember looking and telling my grandmother when she collected me (at Heathrow I suppose but it may not have been).
Old May 4, 2008, 1:31 am

Programs: BA, UA
Wow, sounds like you'll have a great flight Pucci ^

I believe this aircraft was the first that made a profit by carrying passengers, as opposed to just mail. Opening the doors for passenger air travel for all of us.

My grandmother used to fly the BEA DC3s into Northolt from the west coast of Ireland, before they moved to the new Heathrow.
Old May 4, 2008, 8:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I must admit I cut my teeth flying on Dakotas / DC-3s / Gooney Birds (just plain "Gooneys" in the USAF later in Vietnam, where doors were dispensed with, replaced by a light nylon rope or the like, for "air conditioning" purposes,) and still go looking for any I can ride.

But if you want a really interesting experience to add to this one, PUCCI, hie yourself up to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford and take a ride in the De Havilland DH.89A Dragon Rapide. No exit rows - you could just kick through the fuselage doped fabric, I suspect, if you wanted out for some reason.
Old May 4, 2008, 1:11 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by JDiver
I must admit I cut my teeth flying on Dakotas / DC-3s / Gooney Birds (just plain "Gooneys" in the USAF later in Vietnam, where doors were dispensed with, replaced by a light nylon rope or the like, for "air conditioning" purposes,) and still go looking for any I can ride.

But if you want a really interesting experience to add to this one, PUCCI, hie yourself up to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford and take a ride in the De Havilland DH.89A Dragon Rapide. No exit rows - you could just kick through the fuselage doped fabric, I suspect, if you wanted out for some reason.
Now Mr Diver - I have never flown on a Dragon Rapide but I do recall that when I was little they used to fly the inter-island flights between Jersey/Guernsey and Alderney. I remember them distinctly.

I have to say that I was disgusted to read this nonsense about them having to be retired because they are required to be fitted with oxygen. Hello? If the cabin is unpressurised because the aircraft does not fly that high - well you see my point or am I missing something.

FWIW - they are advertising in the Telegraph again and are also flying from Biggin Hill (amongst others)which must be fun. Let us hope that we have good weather that weekend! Thank you HIDDY for the pictures of the Old Bird - at least in those days there would have been little fuss over overboking one imagines!!!
Old May 4, 2008, 2:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thank you PUCCI for reminding me I have yet to book the Dakota that does sightseeing tours over NZ (mostly Auckland but sometimes elsewhere too).

Enjoy your flight. What a great way to celebrate your 29th birthday.
Old May 4, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
While flying in a DC-3 or a DC-4 is a fond memory of the past and I have done it a couple of times ("Air Sunshine" between Miami and Key West maybe 20 years ago as well as the 1997 commemorative trip in a DC-4 by Swissair of their first transatlantic link from Zurich to New York via Shannon and Gander), my absolute dream, unachievable I believe, is to fly on a Constellation. I thought that I might come close to it when former TWA buffs organized a get-together in Kansas City last year with a raffle offering a flight in it, but the aircraft was not yet airworthy and we all had to be satisfied with a visit to it on the ground. The sheer size of the cabin and the generous seat pitch (45+" in coach, 55+ in First, plus a lounge made it look and feel like the best airlines' jumbos front cabins when they were introduced 40 years ago.

Maybe this will be renewed with the A 380, at least for a short while..
Old May 4, 2008, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Maybe this will be renewed with the A 380, at least for a short while..
Nice joke.
Old May 4, 2008, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Thank you PUCCI for reminding me I have yet to book the Dakota that does sightseeing tours over NZ (mostly Auckland but sometimes elsewhere too).
You can book a DC3 in Australia
Old May 4, 2008, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
BEA's Pionairs used to ply the LPL to Ronaldsway (IoM) and Nutts Corner (Belfast) routes in the late fifties and early sixties. Maybe some Channel Islands flights as well.

Starways, based at Speke, had a fleet of Dak and DC-4 aircraft with a mix of scheduled and charter flights. BKS used to use the Bristol 170 to haul cars to Dublin, with a little cabin at the rear for the passengers. Aer Lingus used the F27 after the Dak was withdrawn. Finally, Fred Fruit (aka Federated Fruit) used to operate a DH89 and an Anson.

Yes, a real shame that the Dakota has to leave the EU airspace because it's not practicable to instal the TCAS which is becoming mandatory. As well as the shorter trips, the Telegraph is also offering Northern Lights flights from a variety of airports. At the risk of upsetting Mme P, these look better value than the trips round the airfield. Doesn't actually say that the flights are on the Dak, and they are obviously during the winter months.

The booking agent is Omega Holidays. There is a rather unhelpful websitehttp://www.omega-holidays.com which does give an email address, or you can call 01524 37500. Quote
"DTE".

H'm, might take me Dad on a Northern Lights trip. He was on the convoys in WWII and hated the lights since it increased the better visibility increased the risk of attack. Quite relaxed now, though.

Last edited by chippy63; May 4, 2008 at 5:29 pm
Old May 4, 2008, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Thank you PUCCI
What a great way to celebrate your 29th birthday.
ROFL ^
Old May 5, 2008, 2:44 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Kiwi Angel. Your Muccihood was just upgraded to Triple Diamond Hairbrush. I really must start a proper tier system to see who will be allowed into the Regina Caelis Lounge that will be opening in Terminal 5.

Entrance will be controlled by door swipe and automatic Riff Raff detector which will ensure that no code swapping will be permitted. Krug Champagne will be on offer and all OneWorld Muccis will be welcome. Dogs and Cats cannot be admitted due to the unreasonable attitude of the BAA - but member's children ( MiniMuccihoods will be considered upon request) cuddly toys are especially welcome. Certain selected members from other airline alliances will be permitted at the discretion of and subject to the whim of the 29 year old Proprietress. Further enhancements will be considered.

Entry will, as stated, be strictly controlled and rude finger gestures through the windows to those who are refused entry will not be tolerated.
Old May 5, 2008, 3:24 am

You have a way with words Ma'am........

(A Dragon Rapide!!!! Hmmm... Do I have a "real" reason to visit the UK?? "Real" reason of course being code for "excuse the family will buy")
Old May 5, 2008, 7:16 am

Breitling Constellation

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
my absolute dream, unachievable I believe, is to fly on a Constellation. I thought that I might come close to it when former TWA buffs organized a get-together in Kansas City last year with a raffle offering a flight in it, but the aircraft was not yet airworthy and we all had to be satisfied with a visit to it on the ground.
I think there is a Constellation bouncing around Switzerland that you can book seats on. Try http://www.superconstellation.org/ or http://www.superconstellation.org/Events/EventList.aspx for the flight schedule. Website appears to be auf Deutsch only...
Old May 5, 2008, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Marvin
I think there is a Constellation bouncing around Switzerland that you can book seats on. Try http://www.superconstellation.org/ or http://www.superconstellation.org/Events/EventList.aspx for the flight schedule. Website appears to be auf Deutsch only...
The amount I shelled out in Dubai last week for a new Breitling Chronomat Evolution watch will keep the damn thing in fuel for a year.
Old May 5, 2008, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Kiwi Angel. Your Muccihood was just upgraded to Triple Diamond Hairbrush. I really must start a proper tier system to see who will be allowed into the Regina Caelis Lounge that will be opening in Terminal 5.

Entrance will be controlled by door swipe and automatic Riff Raff detector which will ensure that no code swapping will be permitted. Krug Champagne will be on offer and all OneWorld Muccis will be welcome. Dogs and Cats cannot be admitted due to the unreasonable attitude of the BAA - but member's children ( MiniMuccihoods will be considered upon request) cuddly toys are especially welcome. Certain selected members from other airline alliances will be permitted at the discretion of and subject to the whim of the 29 year old Proprietress. Further enhancements will be considered.

Entry will, as stated, be strictly controlled and rude finger gestures through
the windows to those who are refused entry will not be tolerated.
Great news, hope the PUCCI lounge will be open when I visit T5 at the end of July. I shall look forward to a personal treatment session from the Madam herself in the adjoining PUCCI spa but be warned that the second Lady of Argentina will be accompanying me so I do expect you to behave yourself and not give in to temptation when you see the finely tuned bronzed physique that lies before you.

I am allowed access I take it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.