Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 is open!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Au; IHG Pl; Hyatt Au; IC RA; Marriott Pl
Assuming T4 flights move over on 30 April, the staff inolved will have the distinct advantage of being surrounded by colleagues who have 5 weeks experience.

I hope this contributes to a smoother transition.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier, SPG Gold, BA Silver wanabee
Looks like WW's woes are stacking up against him:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3670961.ece

(Not an actual) vote of no confidence by BALPA - quel surprise
Transparency on perceived cost of T5 fiasco demanded by institutional investors
Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Furthermore, it doesn't explain why BA sees the need to cancel so many flights now, because presumably the access codes are now known and the system has been turned on. I therefore still feel that there is something we are not being told about why the situation is as it is -I still haven't received any actual reason for the situation, other than 'a combination of factors' or 'a baggage handling systems failure'

I'm with you on that - the explanations offered don't seem to fit very well.

If it were simply a matter of familiarity with the bagagge equipment then, one week on, most of the staff will have gone through at least a couple of shifts in T5 and you'd expect the performance to be improving and the number of cancellations to fall. That they're stubbornly around 10% suggests there's another part to the story.

When I stop to think about it, I'm sure a few passengers are able to vote with their feet, but presumably most of the folks on the cancelled flights are being re-accomodated - that will show up in the load factor figures for April. If it's, say, 50% being re-accomodated, then BA can cope with 95% of passengers and 95% of bags, but what set of circumstances makes it better/easier to annoy people by cancelling more flights?

Overall the longer this goes on, the more it's getting to sound like something else is rotten in the state of Denmark.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by astralclouds
Assuming T4 flights move over on 30 April, the staff inolved will have the distinct advantage of being surrounded by colleagues who have 5 weeks experience.
I hope this contributes to a smoother transition.
Remembering that BA is the result of a merger of BEA and BOAC, with the cabin crew still divided between European and Intercontinental groups, are the baggage handlers still similarly divided? Is it safe to assume the ex-T1 folks play nicely with the ex-T4 folks?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by bazzatel

I am amazed he has survived as long as he has. As I have pointed on several times in other threads he has presided over a disastrous underperformance of BA shares relative to almost every other European airline. The City will surely get tired of him before much longer.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:31 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I echo Jeff Randall's thoughts. I really want to like and be proud of BA, but right now that feels very very difficult to do. This week we have diverted people to VS, BD - and horrors - Olympic and Cyprus Airways. Confidence in T5 needs to come back otherwise people might start liking on time planes and wide bodies with proper seats on mid-hauls....
'xcuse me! Please don't lump the one with the other!

And anyway, when was the last time you flew either? On many counts they're both better than BA. But that's for another thread, another time
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Question Photographed?

Quote:
a very long queue to be photographed -took 40 minutes from the beginning of the queue to actually getting through connection

Just who has to be photographed? I'm taking a SEA-LHR-FCO flight later this summer and I assume that I will go thru T-5. Do I get photographed?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by david4455
Quote:
a very long queue to be photographed -took 40 minutes from the beginning of the queue to actually getting through connection

Just who has to be photographed? I'm taking a SEA-LHR-FCO flight later this summer and I assume that I will go thru T-5. Do I get photographed?
No, it's only passengers travelling on domestic services that get photographed as they don't need a passport to travel, and the airport operates both domestic and international flights from a common departures area. If you were going on to a UK destination through LHR, you would get photographed at flight connections.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Au; IHG Pl; Hyatt Au; IC RA; Marriott Pl
Originally Posted by david4455
Quote:

A photo is required for each passanger transferring from international to domestic flights, to ensure that the person who boards the domestic flight is the same person that has passed through UK immigration
Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:35 pm

BA Investors

Originally Posted by bazzatel

The cost to BA for the T5 debacle is $45 million and climbing fast. If that's not detrimental to WW's future; what is?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Worthing Scottish
Have to confess I'm seriously worried about this bit

My wife and I are through T5 to DUS on an overnighter on 12th April. It's for a football game on the Sunday afternoon, but we're intentionally taking the early-afternoon flight out to allow more time at T5 (it was for enjoying the lounge and having time to wander around the shops, now it's for queueing!).

That's not the problem though - on Fri 2 May (i.e. start of the bank holiday rush!) we're through to DUS again, but with an additional less-frequent flyer plus her excitable 9 year old son. The extra worry is caused by the fact that we NEED our flight to be on time (or at least within an hour or so), as that football game has been moved from the Saturday to the Friday night. At least the stadium is right next to DUS airport if we do need to go straight there...

Obviously, had I foreseen these fun and games back in Feb, I would have booked with the enemy instead
Why not cancel the BA tix and book with LH? The 12 APR overnighter can be had for 384$ and the MAY 2-4 for 184$ on LH USA.com
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:45 pm

Brilliant

Colbert Report on Comedy Central just aired a piece on BA+T5+luggage+England. Made me laugh

Worth a look. ^
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Cool

Originally Posted by aristoph
And last time BA lost my bags (April last year) the system showed tracing as still ongoing even when they had been delivered to me. It is pretty useless.
FWIW, I also heard from BA customer service that some bags are being put on flights without being scanned.

I haven't bothered with the tracing system for quite a few days. When it works, it still displays "no information is available" when CS said two days ago that my luggage was "manually put on plane." Of course, I have no idea what the flight number is, when it was put on the plane and where that plane was going.

Six days and counting with no luggage....
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:12 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by pdx42
The cost to BA for the T5 debacle is $45 million and climbing fast. If that's not detrimental to WW's future; what is?
There will be a few more heads of fund holders murmering, but their moment has in fact passed without loud calls. Currently what will bring this to a head is a further event. BALPA are well aware of this - hence their pressure on him - and it might be their event which triggers louder calls for WW's head. A serious impediment to fund managers to making those calls would be a lack of a clear replacement - possibly from within - that they would feel more confidence in. This has in fact helped WW stay.

What would help WW is for some clear and credible explanations from him about what exactly did go wrong with the planning and implementation of T5, and in the end, does responsibility lie at the feet of 1 or 2 senior reporting execs that have let him down. And what is BAA's share of blame in all this? At the moment, there is too much speculation about what the causes are, and some suspicion that perhaps for some tactical purposes WW has appeared to be content to take some heat due to BAA. Has he some negotiations going on with BAA that leaves the heat off of them in return for something else? All of it is puzzling and needs explaining. If those facts emerge with some firings and credible replacements some heat will dissapear.

If not then I'd say a single further "mis-management" event causing a further drop in the share price or to seriously impact BA's reputation will do it, or if the press get up a head of steam if T5 cancellations are at the same level in say 7 days or so.

Last edited by uk1; Apr 3, 2008 at 12:50 am
Old Apr 3, 2008, 1:32 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Teece
Indeed - I read Jeff's piece and think he has it about right.

Swanhunter and Teece. Muccihoods for you both. The reason? You read a decent newspaper and this thread need a bit of lightening up. Wait until You Know Who in Argentina gets aload of that.

Off to work - so hope that you both accept.

PGXX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.