Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: SK*Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The SL buses that used to stop at T5 are instead at T4/SkyCity. Can’t speak to Flygbussen or the buses to Uppsala.
I need to know about where the charter buses will be. They were in a lot off to the side, not in front of the terminal like the Flygbussen or scheduled buses.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Amexpat
I need to know about where the charter buses will be. They were in a lot off to the side, not in front of the terminal like the Flygbussen or scheduled buses.
I don't know if someone knows for sure since we travel by normal buses. However, Swedavia says charter buses are departing from T4. It makes sense because the reason other buses are moved is due to construction work and I don't believe any previous lot would be available(although of course can't tell for sure)

https://www.swedavia.se/arlanda/buss/
GUWonder and Amexpat like this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:53 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I imagine that the current mess doesn't extend to regional airports (such as UME), would that be correct? Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2022, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by the810
I imagine that the current mess doesn't extend to regional airports (such as UME), would that be correct? Thanks
Which mess?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: Various
The current mess doesn't even extend to T2. Just as an FYI.
GUWonder and the810 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
After around 7 or 7:30am either yesterday or Thursday, it seems like T5 general security wait times dropped from 45 minutes down to around 10-15 minutes.

Why hasn’t KEF had the kind of ramped up mess with security screening times that various other Schengen area TATL gateways with 6 or more North American destinations has had this year?
Old Jun 18, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
After around 7 or 7:30am either yesterday or Thursday, it seems like T5 general security wait times dropped from 45 minutes down to around 10-15 minutes.

Why hasn’t KEF had the kind of ramped up mess with security screening times that various other Schengen area TATL gateways with 6 or more North American destinations has had this year?
Because most of KEF’s volume is pass-through?
ksu, the810 and gojko88 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: EBD, Avis Presidents Club, HH Gold
I had the diamond VIP sale last week.
Is it still going for Gold members this week?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JR67
Because most of KEF’s volume is pass-through?
Isn’t most of AMS’s volume pass-through too? I leave AMS airport by surface transport means less than 1% of the time when I’m there.

KEF doesn’t need transit security like AMS, so that may be one of several reasons KEF’s not been as messed up this year as AMS and other Schengen area TATL gateways with 6 or more North American destinations. How many North American destinations does ARN serve with common carrier flights?

Seems to me that KEF has more North American common carrier destinations than ARN; and it is not all FI.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:07 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Isn’t most of AMS’s volume pass-through too? I leave AMS airport by surface transport means less than 1% of the time when I’m there.
While AMS indeed gets a lot of transit traffic, I'm pretty damn sure they have far more originating traffic than KEF. I mean, just Amsterdam metropolitan area alone has population of 2,5 milion, over 6 times more than the entire Iceland, and that's far from the entire catchment area of AMS. Based on the data I was able to find, Netherlands also receives about 15 times more tourists than Iceland, not to mention that Amsterdam/Hague/Rotterdam are slightly more important business hubs than Reykjavik. I also imagine that alternative job opportunities for people who used to work at an airport are far more scarce in Iceland compared to the Netherlands.

Apples and oranges.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by the810
While AMS indeed gets a lot of transit traffic, I'm pretty damn sure they have far more originating traffic than KEF. I mean, just Amsterdam metropolitan area alone has population of 2,5 milion, over 6 times more than the entire Iceland, and that's far from the entire catchment area of AMS. Based on the data I was able to find, Netherlands also receives about 15 times more tourists than Iceland, not to mention that Amsterdam/Hague/Rotterdam are slightly more important business hubs than Reykjavik. I also imagine that alternative job opportunities for people who used to work at an airport are far more scarce in Iceland compared to the Netherlands.

Apples and oranges.
Everything is proclaimed to be apples and oranges when trying to avoid comparison that aren’t welcome criticism and/or open the window toward criticism of some favorite. “Oh, but we’re different, you can’t compare” — the frequent excuse given by those opposed to continuous improvement efforts.

AMS also has many more security screeners than KEF. Before the pandemic. And also during and since. KEF is a heavily banked airport, perhaps even more critically so for passengers than AMS and/or ARN. Could it be that KEF has had its act together in a way that AMS and ARN haven’t? The unemployment rate in Iceland is probably lower than in Sweden. It may even be lower than or In the same range as the Netherlands. Denmark has a lower unemployment rate than Sweden, and CPH didn’t get as messy as ARN.

What’s the annual screener to passenger ratio history for the various Schengen area airports with 6 or more North American common carrier destinations? What’s the annual foreign passenger to national population ratio history for such airports in their respective countries?

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 19, 2022 at 6:32 pm
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:35 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The EU3 hubs (LHR, AMS, CDG, MUC, FRA, ZRH etc) are mostly (50-60%) connecting pax.

KEF seems to be similar: https://www.isavia.is/en/corporate/a...k-airport/2022

Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:03 am

There are lots of factors that matter when it comes to staffing and lines for security, e.g. how many checkpoints there are, and whether/which transfer passengers need to pass through security. IIRC, last time I was on a non-Schengen flight out of AMS (it's a looong time ago), they had security checkpoints at all non-Schengen gates, so even a Schengen to non-Schengen transfer passenger had to go through, something which is extremely staff consuming.

ARN suffers in this respect due to the multiple terminals and the way the airport has been built piece-by-piece since 1976. Before the pandemic, as far as I can remember, there were five main checkpoints for departing passengers plus two transfer checkpoints that were constantly manned and four transfer checkpoints on-call. In addition, there were also at least five checkpoints for staff within the terminals, plus a number of checkpoints for staff at the road gates into the airport. And then flights to some countries, like the USA, have an additional layer of security at the gate. We're talking about 15-25 checkpoints that need to be manned at any given time.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by RedChili
ARN suffers in this respect due to the multiple terminals and the way the airport has been built piece-by-piece since 1976.
Meanwhile at HEL which I visited today:

A historic change is taking place at Helsinki Airport on 21 June

Starting 21 June 2022, airport company Finavia will centralise the check-in, security controls and baggage claims in a single terminal at Helsinki Airport.
https://www.finavia.fi/en/newsroom/2...irport-21-june
Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:43 pm
Suspended

What’s with the Danish passport control — particularly some women, but not their male colleagues— trying to speak Swedish to some but not all Swedish passport users at CPH? . It’s unintelligible “Swedish” to some, unlike the intelligible English they can deliver.

Centralization of security checkpoints is one of those “efficient for the airport owner/operator” things that is not so great for travelers and opens the door for much more extreme outcomes at the margin. Multiple terminals and/or gates with their own security screening and airside connectivity was one of the things that benefited me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.