Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS to leave Star Alliance and join SkyTeam [eff. 01 Sep 2024]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2023, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
SAS plans to leave Star Alliance and join SkyTeam

On the 3rd of October SAS announced further steps as part of their SAS FORWARD plan. SAS has raised nearly 12.9 billion SEK as part of their Chapter 11 restructuring process. This will mean current shareholders are wiped out and the company will be delisted.

The new owners include Air France-KLM, Castlelake, Lind Invest and the Danish state.

As such, SAS plans to leave Star Alliance and join Air France-KLM's Sky Team alliance by summer 2024.

FAQ:

What does this mean for EuroBonus?
  • Eurobonus members can still book travel on Star Alliance carriers until the end of the transition period.
  • Future affiliation with Air France-KLM's Flying Blue frequent flyer programme has not yet been decided.
  • In the meantime the agreement between SAS and the investing consortium includes a provision for preparations of merging EuroBonus into FlyingBlue once AF-KLM owns more than 50% of the outstanding shares. It thus seems very likely that EuroBonus will ultimately be merged into FlyingBlue, the timeline and details of this are, however, still unclear.

SAS EuroBonus FAQ:
On October 3rd 2023, SAS announced the intention to eventually join SkyTeam and leave Star Alliance. For now the EuroBonus program remains unchanged. SAS will keep you informed about what to expect over the coming months and will provide updates continuously on the EuroBonus website.

1. What will happen to EuroBonus?
  • No changes are being made to the program and EuroBonus will remain SAS's loyalty program. As a member, you will continue to earn and use points on SAS as today. Your status and benefits as a EuroBonus member when you fly with SAS will not be impacted. • Delivering an attractive loyalty program to SAS's loyal customers will remain the top priority for us and our new owners, even after SAS changes ownership and alliance. SAS intends to eventually leave Star Alliance and join SkyTeam, and adjustments to the program will be made accordingly. As long as SAS is a member of Star Alliance, EuroBonus members can continue to enjoy the same benefits as they do today when flying on a Star Alliance partner airline.

2. What will happen to my EuroBonus points?
  • No changes are made to your EuroBonus points. You will keep all points earned until now and will continue to earn and use points just like today.

3. What will happen to my EuroBonus tier status?
  • No changes are made to your EuroBonus tier status. You will retain your status and your progress made during your qualification period. Requirements to reach each tier level and benefits included in each tier remain the same.

4. What will happen to my EuroBonus Lifetime Gold status?
  • No changes are made to the EuroBonus Lifetime Gold program. EuroBonus Lifetime Gold memberships will be honored even after SAS joins SkyTeam, and all progress made towards Lifetime Gold will be kept.

5. Do I keep my status benefits when I travel on another Star Alliance partner airline?
  • While SAS remains part of Star Alliance, you will enjoy the same status benefits as you do today when you fly with a Star Alliance partner • When SAS eventually joins SkyTeam, you will also be able to enjoy similar status benefits across the extensive SkyTeam network.

6. Can I still earn points when I fly on another Star Alliance carrier?
  • While SAS remains part of Star Alliance, you will be able to earn EuroBonus Basic points when flying on a Star Alliance airline partner flights

7. What will happen to my existing Star Alliance award bookings?
  • Existing bookings remain unchanged and will be honored even if you fly after SAS eventually leaves Star Alliance

8. Can I still use my points to redeem on other Star Alliance carriers?
  • While SAS remains part of Star Alliance, we will allow you to use EuroBonus points to book Star Alliance award trips

9. Can I still earn points on credits cards and other non-airline partners?
  • Yes

10. Can I still use my EuroBonus points on non-airline partners such as rental cars or hotels?
  • Yes
11. What about other Star Alliance partner members flying on SAS?
  • While SAS remains part of Star Alliance, members of other Star Alliance member programs will keep their status benefits while flying on SAS, and will be able to spend their miles/points on SAS flights

Will there be opportunities to match with other programs to remain in *A?
  • Most likely yes, but it will have yet to be seen what opportunities will present itself.

Will AF - KLM take over control of SAS?
  • After a minimum of two years and pending regulatory permission, AF - KLM may increase its stake to grant it controlling power over SAS. However, the current situation indicates that there are agreements within the consortium, which would de facto give AF - KLM control with regards to certain aspects of SAS operations (as seen by the announcement to leave *A and join ST).

What is the ratio of the new ownership?
  • Castlelake: 32%
  • AF - KLM: 19.9%
  • Danish State: 25.8%
  • Lind Invest: 8.6%
  • Remaining equity to be distributed to existing creditors.

What happens to existing SAS shares?
  • This process makes current SAS shares lose their value. Some existing shareholders expressed displeasure about the decision and are questioning wether an American court can rule on making existing shares of SAS lose their value. It remains to be seen if legal action is taken.

Will SAS change their HUB strategy or move their HQ to Denmark?
  • This is as of yet unconfirmed but it seems likely that SAS might focus on CPH and move its HQ.

Will SAS join the SkyTeam transatlantic Joint Venture?
  • This is the stated goal of AF-KLM CEO, but will require regulatory approval.

How was this decided?
  • There was a bidding process and two bids were received. Private Equity company Apollo Global Invest had expressed interest in taking control of the airline.
  • The decision on the bids was taken roughly 30 minutes before the press conference on October 3rd as stated by Dilling.

What is the process now?
  • Nothing changes immediately. As of now SAS is still a member of Star Alliance and will continue to operate normally for the foreseeable future.
  • The announcements made today reflect the future plans, which are subject to approval by many different entities and regulatory bodies. These include the courts in the US to approve the Chapter 11 process, courts in Sweden which will have to approve the restructuring (and invalidation of shares), as well as the following, as taken out of the SAS press release: "(...) antitrust authorities, civil aviation authorities, the European Commission, and EFTA Surveillance Authority (as applicable), SAS leaving Star Alliance, the implementation of a Swedish Reorganization at the SAS AB level, and other customary conditions. There currently remains uncertainty in respect of satisfying such conditions and obtaining required approvals (...)".
  • We should hear more about if this is going through in the next couple of weeks.
  • SAS plans to exit Chapter 11 in Q2 2024 and leave Star Alliance and join SkyTeam before summer 2024.

Sources and links:

- SAS Press Release
- Communication E-Mail sent to EB members can be found in Post 114
- E24 (Information with regards to EuroBonus. Thanks to matin for the find in Post 64)
- Reuters
- AF-KLM Press Release
- SAS EuroBonus FAQ (Thanks again to matin for the find in Post 237)
- DInside on Merger of EuroBonus into FlyingBlue (Thanks to Frederik74 for the find in Post 473)
Print Wikipost

SAS to leave Star Alliance and join SkyTeam [eff. 01 Sep 2024]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:08 pm

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Am I the only one thinking that bankruptcy would have been a better solution ?

The slight joking aside, this will mean that some SK destinations in the US will have to change to Delta hubs in order to provide meaningful connections and EB earnings. So goodbye ORD and IAD and hello to MSP, DTW, SEA, ATL and SLC. And EWR will have to go as well. SFO can probably sustain having limited connectivity and BOS and JKF are DL hubs.

Svantevit.
the810 and ilikemiles like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I guess it could be worse if it was BA/IB/IAG and Oneworld in place of AF.
I totally agree with you!

The only upside with that constellation would be if EB diamond would be matched to OW Emerald, which is by far the best alliance tier out there in my humble opinion.
GUWonder and flying_geek like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Svantevit

The slight joking aside, this will mean that some SK destinations in the US will have to change to Delta hubs in order to provide meaningful connections and EB earnings. So goodbye ORD and IAD and hello to MSP, DTW, SEA, ATL and SLC. And EWR will have to go as well. SFO can probably sustain having limited connectivity and BOS and JKF are DL hubs.

Svantevit.
I've been agnostic for a while. The sentimental side of me wants SAS to survive just because..but I know that realistically SAS has been on life support for years.

I don't mind changing US hubs. I don't see the issue there since it's only if those are the actual destination that there is an issue.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:17 pm

Maby SK will make their first (as far as I know) status matches for Scandinavians that not EBG/D but elites elsewhere 🫣
GUWonder and jerrychuang like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Assuming you’re a TATL flyer at times still or paying for some TATL flights in one way or another — and we all are — it’s a bad deal when a major industry cartel kingpin is allowed to take a significant controlling stake in another, otherwise previously separate/independent company serving a market. We end up with higher prices from reduced/channeled competition.
True, but given SK's funding situation, I'm not surprised they joined the AF/KL group.

I used to fly SK when I lived in Northern VA, and enjoyed their service. Now that I live in the PNW, heading south to SFO to use SK for TATL doesn't make sense when I can get TATL direct flights from SEA on AF, AY, BA, DL, EI, LH, and TK.
GUWonder and rodalvas like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Stil
I totally agree with you!

The only upside with that constellation would be if EB diamond would be matched to OW Emerald, which is by far the best alliance tier out there in my humble opinion.
Speaking of that, what's the precedence on status matches / challenges when an airline leaves Star Alliance? Is it likely to be offered by other *A carriers? This could help me with my dilemma on what to do when the *G expires (e.g. if A3 would match SK, and then I could keep it by fulfilling the requalification requirements, which are easier than direct qualification).
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:26 pm

I hope the regulators prevent SAS from being part of the DL-AF/KL led revenue-sharing joint-venture. And this is not good news for award availability, award ticket pricing, nor in terms of lounge access based on elite status in the frequent flyer programs.
This. It would completely destroy anything that's left of competition on transatlantic flights. They should completely ban JV.
GUWonder, TPJ, copperred and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by the810
Speaking of that, what's the precedence on status matches / challenges when an airline leaves Star Alliance? Is it likely to be offered by other *A carriers? This could help me with my dilemma on what to do when the *G expires (e.g. if A3 would match SK, and then I could keep it by fulfilling the requalification requirements, which are easier than direct qualification).
Don't think there is a script for this but I would imagine that LH group would offer generous status matches.
​​​​​​
GUWonder and the810 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:29 pm

Svantevit.
This rehubbing is going to be terrible. Delta wants everyone to fly through ATL. EWR would switch to JFK. DL is rather weak on the US East Coast compared to AA or UA and I refuse to even think about LGA. JFK has gotten better but still is not great. The fact that DL enjoys taking the most tired and worn out used aircraft and flying them for decades after is a further detriment; they may have owned some ex-SAS DC9/MD80/90s at some point.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
So I have no status as I retired pre-covid and not flying enough the few years before that... that being said I do have SK booked in the spring and was putting earned miles towards UA MP. Know it is not a big deal but heck I JUST whittled my DL Miles down to zero!

Wonder if this will impact any routes TATL to the US hubs. Specifically thinking about IAD and EWR. Will they switch those out?
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I've been agnostic for a while. The sentimental side of me wants SAS to survive just because..but I know that realistically SAS has been on life support for years.

I don't mind changing US hubs. I don't see the issue there since it's only if those are the actual destination that there is an issue.
IAD customs and immigration is light years better than ATL. EWR and JFK are a wash, EWR is probably worse because EWR.

Guessing ORD stays or switches to DTW/MSP, probably the latter.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:33 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by copperred
This sucks for me at least. AMS is hell on earth eclipsed only by ATL, and I do not want to transit any Delta hub to fly SAS back to Scandinavia. I've been crediting my flights to AC anyway but the price difference between SAS and AC is significant and the IAD-CPH run has been a feature of my life for a couple decades.
Really? I find AMS to be one of the easiest if not the easiest and fastest airport in EU to transit between Schengen and non-Schengen. I don't make 40 minute connections in many other places, forget about FRA, LHR. The worst airport on the planet in my experiene is EWR by a huge margin.
irishguy28 and chrisljo like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:36 pm

[…] goodbye ORD and IAD and hello to MSP, DTW, SEA, ATL and SLC. And EWR will have to go as well. SFO can probably sustain having limited connectivity and BOS and JKF are DL hubs. […]
I wouldn’t jump so far ahead. Even if we were to assume a relatively plain-sailing process to overcome the usual hurdles before finalising the deal (and it will take time in any case), AF-KL will likely impose hefty restructuring along with a leaner structure, admittedly I would not be surprised if the current long-haul network was to suffer as a result, with a significant portion of traffic from the current hubs redirected to AMS and CDG instead. In a nutshell: SK turning into a feeder carrier, at least for a number of years to come and certainly until some progress is achieved in terms of $$$.

G
copperred likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Really? I find AMS to be one of the easiest if not the easiest and fastest airport in EU to transit between Schengen and non-Schengen. I don't make 40 minute connections in many other places, forget about FRA, LHR. The worst airport on the planet in my experiene is EWR by a huge margin.
AMS is in a death spiral. Both flight caps imposed and the past two years plus who knows how many future years of lack of labor makes it a non-starter. Agree LHR and FRA are awful, useful as endpoints but not for transfers. I avoid LH because of how bad FRA is.

KL runs a flight to LPI that's always been curious, given how SK has absolutely decimated flights to much of Sweden from CPH. Guess I may have to try that sometime, if AMS isn't having a meltdown.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I wouldn’t jump so far ahead. Even if we were to assume a relatively plain-sailing process to overcome the usual hurdles before finalising the deal (and it will take time in any case), AF-KL will likely impose hefty restructuring along with a leaner structure, admittedly I would not be surprised if the current long-haul network was to suffer as a result, with a significant portion of traffic from the current hubs redirected to AMS and CDG instead. In a nutshell: SK turning into a feeder carrier, at least for a number of years to come and certainly until some progress is achieved in terms of $$$.

G
In an earlier era I would have agreed with you on diversion to AMS and CDG but it was my understanding that CDG was topped out, thus AMS provided relief but now AMS is being downscoped by law so that volume has to go somewhere.
AlicorporateUK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.