Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

A321LR Routes Speculation & Discussions [AAL,AAR,BGO,GOT,AAR - EWR etc.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A321LR Routes Speculation & Discussions [AAL,AAR,BGO,GOT,AAR - EWR etc.]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
GOT-EWR doesn’t surprise me. Seems par for the SAS course.

Is there a ferry connecting Fredrikshavn with Gothenburg? Is that the back-up plan to get passengers between AAL and GOT?

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Apparently the market for travel to NYC is a lot stronger than flights to US West Coast...
For business and leisure travel too, seems like more Scandinavians may be willing to do a c. 8 hour flight and endure a six hour time zone change than deal with a 11+ hour flight and 9 hour time zone change. [And NYC lives larger in the heads of Scandinavians than the West Coast.]. And given SK’s economy class, consider the shorter flight time a gesture of mercy.
RoyalSwazi likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 21, 2022 at 12:22 pm
Old Dec 22, 2022, 2:50 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
So just so I get this right, SK will have 40 weekly flights to NYC?! That's nearly six daily flights.

3 AAL
3 GOT
6 CPH-JFK
7 OSL
7 ARN
14 CPH-EWR

I'm booking flights to NYC next June and most of them are either empty or only have 2-3 seats reserved yet... I hope they know what they're doing...
Old Dec 22, 2022, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nick Art
So just so I get this right, SK will have 40 weekly flights to NYC?! That's nearly six daily flights.

3 AAL
3 GOT
6 CPH-JFK
7 OSL
7 ARN
14 CPH-EWR

I'm booking flights to NYC next June and most of them are either empty or only have 2-3 seats reserved yet... I hope they know what they're doing...
With inflation hitting at least Sweden and Denmark like it is, I am curious on what demand will turn out to be like for the NYC area routes. NYC is not a cheap place to visit as a tourist, and it’s not gotten cheaper (at least going by the jumps in rental income we get for leasing out condos this year). And between real discretionary income and savings falling in Scandinavia and a decline in housing and equity wealth effect likely coming if not already underway, what’s SAS counting on? More adults skipping out on having/maintaining own household formation and instead living with parents or more roommates in order to splurge on travel? But what choice does SAS have when it’s got equipment and crew to use and doesn’t want to build up new outstations with increasingly expensive contract staff.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I'm surprised that AAL has a runway long enough for an overseas flight.

In an extraordinary network development, SAS announced on December 21st that it'd be starting two brand-new US routes: Aalborg and Gothenburg to Newark. Obviously, it is the first time that the Danish city of Aalborg has a US service, while it returns to Sweden's Gothenburg after 24 years, when it was very time-limited.
SAS Has 5 Routes To Newark With Aalborg & Gothenburg Launch

Last edited by vanillabean; Dec 23, 2022 at 3:00 pm
Old Dec 23, 2022, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Even AAL’s domestic flights may go over seas. .

Would I be wrong to assume that most of AAL’s common carrier international flights also go over seas from at least time to time?

More seriously, has GOT and AAL ever been considered to be part of the same catchment area for travelers due to any sort of ferry (or maybe even helicopter) connectivity between Gothenburg (for GOT) and Fredrikshavn (for AAL)?
Old Dec 23, 2022, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by vanillabean

SAS Has 5 Routes To Newark With Aalborg & Gothenburg Launch
It is a combination airforce base and civilian airport. Common runways.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
What is the minimum runway length required for a fully laden A321LR to take off from Scandinavia towards the east coast US?
Old Dec 24, 2022, 3:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
What is the minimum runway length required for a fully laden A321LR to take off from Scandinavia towards the east coast US?
And would it be less runway length required in the summer than in the winter?
Old Dec 24, 2022, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
And would it be less runway length required in the summer than in the winter?
The other way around, though I doubt Aalborg will fall under hot airports many days a year....
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 4:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The other way around, though I doubt Aalborg will fall under hot airports many days a year....
…. and global warming will increase the need for longer runways. Given air density as a factor in lift, makes sense.

But given stronger headwinds in winter when going west from AAL/GOT, would they need to load a plane at AAL/GOT with more fuel in winter than in summer?
Old Dec 24, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Even AAL’s domestic flights may go over seas. .

Would I be wrong to assume that most of AAL’s common carrier international flights also go over seas from at least time to time?

More seriously, has GOT and AAL ever been considered to be part of the same catchment area for travelers due to any sort of ferry (or maybe even helicopter) connectivity between Gothenburg (for GOT) and Fredrikshavn (for AAL)?
Growing up in North Jutland I don't think I ever encountered anyone sediously considering taking the ferry to GOT to catch a flight, even when there was a fast ferry (1.5 hrs). These days only the slow ferries (3hrs 15min) remain.

The runway at AAL is 8700 ft. Google suggest that may impose some restrictions on take off weight for the A321LR.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkeng
Growing up in North Jutland I don't think I ever encountered anyone sediously considering taking the ferry to GOT to catch a flight, even when there was a fast ferry (1.5 hrs). These days only the slow ferries (3hrs 15min) remain.

The runway at AAL is 8700 ft. Google suggest that may impose some restrictions on take off weight for the A321LR.
Since max passenger capacity is 220 on the LR vs 157 on the SK version, and AAL EWR being some 800 miles (~17%) below max range, they will probably never need a take off at max payload. Though the needs of the runway length on the Internet seems to vary from 7500 feet to 8900 feet depending on which article you read. But I am fairly certain that SK knows the performance of the plane and the length of the runway in AAL pretty well.
dkeng likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
That's a good question considering the cargo containers of akvavit for export. God jul.
James91 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 4:37 pm
Suspended

What’s the lounge situation like at AAL? I thought it was a contract lounge, even as its flight board screen on typical workdays are dominated by SK CPH flights.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What’s the lounge situation like at AAL? I thought it was a contract lounge, even as its flight board screen on typical workdays are dominated by SK CPH flights.
Then there is the question of where the non Schengen passengers are stowed in between passport control and boarding. Probably not in the area where the AAL lounge is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.