Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Gold benefits when flying with SK

Star Alliance Gold benefits when flying with SK

Old Feb 4, 22, 5:55 pm
  #1  
koz
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: QF, VA, CX
Posts: 84
Star Alliance Gold benefits when flying with SK

I have recently become SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold so Star Alliance Gold. I will be booking to fly LHR-EVE return with SK in February next year. I was planning to book a Plus Pro fare to get the 2 x 23kg checked baggage as well as the lounge access, Fast Track etc.
I see that SK Euro Bonus Gold members get access to lounges, Fast Track through security and two extra checked bags (except for SAS Go Light fares).
If I book a Go Smart fare, which is considerably cheaper than the Plus Smart or Plus Smart Pro fares, as a Star Alliance Gold member should I receive all of those benefits?
Thanks.
koz is offline  
Old Feb 4, 22, 6:43 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 15,613
Originally Posted by koz View Post
I have recently become SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold so Star Alliance Gold. I will be booking to fly LHR-EVE return with SK in February next year. I was planning to book a Plus Pro fare to get the 2 x 23kg checked baggage as well as the lounge access, Fast Track etc.
I see that SK Euro Bonus Gold members get access to lounges, Fast Track through security and two extra checked bags (except for SAS Go Light fares).
If I book a Go Smart fare, which is considerably cheaper than the Plus Smart or Plus Smart Pro fares, as a Star Alliance Gold member should I receive all of those benefits?
Thanks.
Yes, you would in effect get the same benefits as the Plus fare for those points. The only difference would be free catering in Plus, and buy on board in Go. And you'd need to sit a few row back.

Be aware that for both Plus and Star Gold, there is only lounge access and fast track if there is a Star Alliance facility. There is in LHR, obviously.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Feb 4, 22, 7:12 pm
  #3  
koz
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: QF, VA, CX
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Yes, you would in effect get the same benefits as the Plus fare for those points. The only difference would be free catering in Plus, and buy on board in Go. And you'd need to sit a few row back.

Be aware that for both Plus and Star Gold, there is only lounge access and fast track if there is a Star Alliance facility. There is in LHR, obviously.
Thanks CPH-Flyer. I would be stopping at OSL to and from EVE so should I be able to access the SK lounge there? Is the OSL SK lounge also designated as a Star Alliance facility? For the additional baggage allowance (I may be travelling with 2 bags) when I enter my SQ KrisFlyer number on the booking does the Star Alliance Gold Status show up and the updated baggage allowance show in the booking or do you just show your membership card in the SQ app when you check in to get the Gold benefits?

I flew MAN-EVE and EVE-LHR in July 2019 and purchased "SAS Plus Saver" fares then so had lounge access at OSL, 2 bags etc on those trips. I see that the fares are now "Plus Smart" and "Plus Pro" so I'm not sure what the differences are with what "Plus Saver" was in 2019. I gather probably mainly just a name change.
koz is offline  
Old Feb 4, 22, 7:59 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 15,613
Originally Posted by koz View Post
Thanks CPH-Flyer. I would be stopping at OSL to and from EVE so should I be able to access the SK lounge there? Is the OSL SK lounge also designated as a Star Alliance facility? For the additional baggage allowance (I may be travelling with 2 bags) when I enter my SQ KrisFlyer number on the booking does the Star Alliance Gold Status show up and the updated baggage allowance show in the booking or do you just show your membership card in the SQ app when you check in to get the Gold benefits?

I flew MAN-EVE and EVE-LHR in July 2019 and purchased "SAS Plus Saver" fares then so had lounge access at OSL, 2 bags etc on those trips. I see that the fares are now "Plus Smart" and "Plus Pro" so I'm not sure what the differences are with what "Plus Saver" was in 2019. I gather probably mainly just a name change.
Yes, Oslo is one of SK's home hubs, so full lounge access there as well.

Plus saver became Plus Smart. Mainly about the level of flexibility in the booking between Smart and Pro.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Feb 5, 22, 11:19 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Roscoff, Helsinki or Tromso
Posts: 41
Unless it has reopened very recently the Gold Track at LHR is closed, it is very firmly sealed up and you would almost wonder if it was ever there. It's a definite downgrade of the LHR experience as a Gold.
Harper50505 is offline  
Old Feb 6, 22, 5:04 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by Harper50505 View Post
Unless it has reopened very recently the Gold Track at LHR is closed, it is very firmly sealed up and you would almost wonder if it was ever there. It's a definite downgrade of the LHR experience as a Gold.
The Fast Track at T2 was open at the end of December, but possibly only for the Christmas/New Year surge.
Tomas E likes this.
Valgamaa is offline  
Old Feb 7, 22, 2:47 am
  #7  
aju
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Oslo, Norway
Programs: SK Diamond *G
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by Harper50505 View Post
Unless it has reopened very recently the Gold Track at LHR is closed, it is very firmly sealed up and you would almost wonder if it was ever there. It's a definite downgrade of the LHR experience as a Gold.
Gold Track at LHR was open when I flew in november last year.
aju is offline  
Old Jun 9, 22, 8:37 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: IAH
Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Gold
Posts: 286
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Yes, Oslo is one of SK's home hubs, so full lounge access there as well.
I’m doing a similar hop as the OP in a couple of months, USA-OSL then a domestic SK flight OSL-TRD in economy same day. I’m *A Gold through United. Would I be allowed a guest into the lounge? My SK reservation says “Lounge Access for 1 included”, which throws me off. We’re actually 3 people but I assume I’ll have to pay for at least one person to access the lounge?
VRFast is offline  
Old Jun 9, 22, 8:40 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 15,613
Originally Posted by VRFast View Post
I’m doing a similar hop as the OP in a couple of months, USA-OSL then a domestic SK flight OSL-TRD in economy same day. I’m *A Gold through United. Would I be allowed a guest into the lounge? My SK reservation says “Lounge Access for 1 included”, which throws me off. We’re actually 3 people but I assume I’ll have to pay for at least one person to access the lounge?
​​​​​​Yes, you can bring one guest to the SK based on being Star Alliance gold. Second guest would have to be paid in.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Jun 9, 22, 10:16 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 97,853
Originally Posted by VRFast View Post
I’m doing a similar hop as the OP in a couple of months, USA-OSL then a domestic SK flight OSL-TRD in economy same day. I’m *A Gold through United. Would I be allowed a guest into the lounge? My SK reservation says “Lounge Access for 1 included”, which throws me off. We’re actually 3 people but I assume I’ll have to pay for at least one person to access the lounge?
It’s access for Star Gold member + one guest in addition. The SK lounges with automated gates have the option for selecting either just yourself or yourself + one guest. It works for me with UA*G, A3*G and other *G when flying SAS and having the *G number loaded properly in the booking.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 9:50 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Koala Lemur
Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Posts: 2,261
Just a caveat with paid access, discovered by a colleague recently (possibly a property of a single lounge dragon). The main traveler and the *G guest have the usual access and can access the lounge and re-enter freely. The paid entry is apparently only valid until you exit. A colleague discovered this the hard way: when a significant delay has been announced at the gate - he was not allowed to return to the lounge with paid guests to wait further. I found it ridiculous, but also useful to know.
SK2751 is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 10:46 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: IAH
Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Gold
Posts: 286
Yes, United does the same thing for one-time passes that you can buy at the lounge or via the app, or that you attain by having the United Chase Explorer card. They can't be scanned in twice. Irritating especially in the case you described.
VRFast is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:58 pm
  #13  
ksu
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,065
Originally Posted by aju View Post
Gold Track at LHR was open when I flew in november last year.
It was open at Easter as well.
ksu is offline  
Old Jun 11, 22, 12:31 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Probably not too far away from wherever you are
Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by ksu View Post
It was open at Easter as well.
I used it two weeks ago. It wasn't really that much faster than the regular queue because they kept opening that little door on the side to let non-Gold people into the queue.
dark_phoenix is offline  
Old Jun 14, 22, 7:12 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Roscoff, Helsinki or Tromso
Posts: 41
At LHR, I was told last week that the gold track doesn't open until 05.30, when I queried how I had used it at 05.00 three weeks earlier I was told it only ever opened at 05.30 which it didn't. Clearly another cut or is it just LHR failing some more?
Harper50505 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread