Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Plus Europe [merged experience reports & FAQ]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Plus Europe [merged experience reports & FAQ]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Side tracking a bit since I have yet to visit the United lounge. How would you compare it to the Qantas lounge, or the. Cathay J lounge? The F side not being an entirely fair comparison.
Uh, that’s a tough one I really like the UA lounge for the ambience/‘vibe’, the great cocktails and the variety in terms of food (I love their wraps & sandwiches), even though I’d say that for a proper dining experience I would probably choose CX and eventually head to the QF lounge for a decent barista coffee On a slightly different note, I find AC’s breakfast spread a tad better than the whole lot and, ‘deviating’ even further, the EY lounge at T4, which I normally visit when hopping to Belgrade on Air Serbia, is pretty ‘robust’ when it comes to food and service on the whole. By all means. Sky Team & Lufthansa both make the poorest choice in terms of lounge experience (and at least the latter is easily avoidable).

So, yes, I’d definitely recommend a visit to the UA lounge next time you’re travelling from LHR.

G
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK

Uh, that’s a tough one I really like the UA lounge for the ambience/‘vibe’, the great cocktails and the variety in terms of food (I love their wraps & sandwiches), even though I’d say that for a proper dining experience I would probably choose CX and eventually head to the QF lounge for a decent barista coffee On a slightly different note, I find AC’s breakfast spread a tad better than the whole lot and, ‘deviating’ even further, the EY lounge at T4, which I normally visit when hopping to Belgrade on Air Serbia, is pretty ‘robust’ when it comes to food and service on the whole. By all means. Sky Team & Lufthansa both make the poorest choice in terms of lounge experience (and at least the latter is easily avoidable).

G
​​​​​​
Interesting.

I agree the Air Canada breakfast is very nice. I would definitely go back for that. Even if I was flying from A. Depending on available time.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
You would be good to access LH (Business Lounge, A), AC (B), SQ (B), UA (B).

G

Thank you for your help and all the information! I decided to try United lounge today because I had almost 4 hours to kill with that fast track security that comes with SAS Plus When I asked check in agent if I can access United Lounge he said he doesn’t know and insisted on me going to Lufthansa as it was just ‘there’ after security. I went straight to United Lounge and didn’t have any problems. Great food, especially peri-peri sandwiches and BBQ Chicken and also fantastic cocktails. I was thinking of leaving half an hour before my boarding just in case but decided to wait for my inbound aircraft... and to my surprise I am departing from B31
AlicorporateUK and JR67 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Side tracking a bit since I have yet to visit the United lounge. How would you compare it to the Qantas lounge, or the. Cathay J lounge? The F side not being an entirely fair comparison.
Tried both CX, QF, UA, SQ, AC and LH and PP lounge at LHR. Can't comment on alcohol and I know UA has a huge cocktail menu.

Tried QF during breakfast hours and the food was made to order and very fine - if you like what's on the menu. It's definitely much nicer than BA lounges.

CX lounge is really nice if you like make to order noodles, however it was crowded so it was difficult to find a seat.

UA lounge has good selection of hot food, showers are good and hardly have to wait.

LH has the best location if you are connecting to SK but it's not UA standard.

SQ , AC are nice but not comparable to UA IMO.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SAS Diamond and LTG, Marriott Titanium and LT Plat, Radisson Premium
Even if we agree that the UA lounge is better than LH in T2, I feel it appropriate and fair to add some perspective here: the LH lounge is still really good. Definitely much better than the old SK lounge in T3, let alone the SK lounge in CPH. Compared to many lounges around the world, I would not hesitate to put the LH lounge in the top-25%, and I would consider it better than the BA Galleries lounges in T5 (and probably even Galleries First).

The food is eminently edible and enjoyable, and unless I had hours to spare (which is never the case), I would not make the trek to the B gates for the UA lounge, to me at least it’s simply not worth it. Of course our priorities differ, so if you want fancy drinks it may make sense, but to me the wine selection in LH is fine.

I should add that I only frequent the Senator lounge, but it seems to be much the same as the “regular” one.
hugolover and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:29 pm

I agree that the LH lounge is perfectly fine, the only issue is the overcrowding. As it is the only *A lounge in that terminal area and quite small, it is often really crowded- sometimes to the point you can’t even get a seat.

Never had that issue with in the other terminal with 3 rather large lounhes in close proximity.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy
I agree that the LH lounge is perfectly fine, the only issue is the overcrowding. As it is the only *A lounge in that terminal area and quite small, it is often really crowded- sometimes to the point you can’t even get a seat.

Never had that issue with in the other terminal with 3 rather large lounhes in close proximity.
Is the crowding in the LH lounge an equal issue for the business side and the Senator side of the lounge?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:54 pm

About the same, perhaps the business area is a bit more busy
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, SAS Diamond and LTG, Marriott Titanium and LT Plat, Radisson Premium
It of course depends a lot on when you fly - there are certainly peak times early in the morning, but by far the most of my visits (which, granted, are outside of the peak) see the lounge at around half capacity at most. Even during peak times, I’ve never been unable to get a seat.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I like the QF and CX lounges in T3 and thought it was a real step backwards when BA moved their WAW flights to T5. Ugh!
hugolover likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yurtripper
I like the QF and CX lounges in T3 and thought it was a real step backwards when BA moved their WAW flights to T5. Ugh!
I wanted to say that the Galleries First lounge in T5 is really poor, but I don't know if I can do that without sound a bit too much like an elitist twat. My main problem with is really that they don't even seem to do any cleaning during the day, and the place always is dirty and grimy. I guess the food is not too bad as lounges go, of course compared to CX F in T3 it is not really good. I don't know about the Club lounges in T5 but I guess they are sort of the same, just a step down in selection of food and drink compared to the F side.
lhrpete and hugolover like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Is the crowding in the LH lounge an equal issue for the business side and the Senator side of the lounge?
I actually often find that the SEN side is packed to the rafters, while the Business side is much more pleasant and quiet. Granted, the SEN side is smaller, but I do not understand why people want to squeeze together like that just because, on paper, it is a better lounge (they are pretty much offering the same).

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Not sure what OW lounges has to do with flying on a Star Alliance carrier out of LHR T2 ?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I actually often find that the SEN side is packed to the rafters, while the Business side is much more pleasant and quiet. Granted, the SEN side is smaller, but I do not understand why people want to squeeze together like that just because, on paper, it is a better lounge (they are pretty much offering the same).

Not sure what OW lounges has to do with flying on a Star Alliance carrier out of LHR T2 ?
The topic came up as I asked how the UA lounge benchmarked against QF and CX, as people set the UA lounge as the best in T2.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:35 am

I actually often find that the SEN side is packed to the rafters, while the Business side is much more pleasant and quiet. Granted, the SEN side is smaller, but I do not understand why people want to squeeze together like that just because, on paper, it is a better lounge (they are pretty much offering the same)
Spot on.

My visits are normally on a Thursday/Friday afternoon (4/5ish) and I wouldn't even attempt going to the other side (i.e. Senator). As you say, food is exactly the same i.e. soup, rice, bread & chicken with a weird sauce: if that's good enough to place the lounge amongst the top lounges worldwide as previously suggested, then the Aspire at Birmingham has also got a very similar choice [food-wise] plus proper bacon butties and some good-old scones as well

G
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: More than one
And give up on your hard earned *G status perks by voluntarily entering a business lounge??

I guess it's just habits. Depending on how much time I have, I either go straight to the nearest *G lounge or check out all the *G lounge and stay in the least crowded no matter whether it's a business or *G only lounge.
Only in the US, I never enter a United Club lounge if another *G lounge is available without having to go through additional security checks. I don't even enter them to check them as they IMHO is just a small upgrade from waiting at the gate.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Aug 16, 2019 at 3:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.