Wiki Posts
Search

Gold/Diamond Special Events

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2015, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Gold/Diamond Special Events

I am not sure if this deserves its own threads, but SAS has occasionally had special events for Gold and Diamond Members. One recent example is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...stockholm.html
While they are not too often, but perhaps it is good to have them contained in 1 thread so we can see how they develop over the years.

With that being said, SAS has put out a new offer for Gold and Diamond members. As they have done in the past, the offer is for a Advent Concert at the Blue Hall in Stockholm on Nov. 28th. Tickets cost 500 points and each member can purchase up to 4. More details can be found here, although you need to login:
https://gold.flysas.com/login/
I think that the link for diamonds is formatted the same, just replacing Gold for Diamond.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 3:37 am

Nothing for Denmark - I guess HQ is in Sweden
Old Oct 16, 2015, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Hopefully something is coming. I believe that they did have a similar offer this summer, only to Tivoli instead of Gröna Lund. As I recall, SAS prefers to ignore their Finnish customers as opposed to the Danes
Old Oct 16, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
There have been multiple events at Gröna Lund which imho makes no sense. A theme park for children is not a suitable location for a corporate event for (very) frequent flyers. I can think of at least a 100 more appropriate venues in either Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo or Helsinki that would make much more sense.

I don't necessarily think SK should be wasting time, money and resources on such events either. There are much needed product and program enhancements that require priority. However, if they do perceive these events to be of value, at least do it right.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
There have been multiple events at Gröna Lund which imho makes no sense. A theme park for children is not a suitable location for a corporate event for (very) frequent flyers. I can think of at least a 100 more appropriate venues in either Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo or Helsinki that would make much more sense.

I don't necessarily think SK should be wasting time, money and resources on such events either. There are much needed product and program enhancements that require priority. However, if they do perceive these events to be of value, at least do it right.
I disagree, a lot of frequent travelers like to spend points to benefit their families, and if they can arrange some entertainment for the family along side the SK event, and make a full day of it with the spouse and kids, I would actually call it a win win. Might also make it easier to get to spend weekend time with SK...
Old Oct 16, 2015, 4:51 am
Original Poster

For those that really travel a lot, that might be one of the easiest ways to see the family!

I can agree with FlyingMoose on some points, but thought that the event at Gröna Lund was fun (note: I love amusement parks and have young kids). However, it would be worthwhile to have a range of events that cater to frequent flyers of all ages. I would be quite happy leaving the kids at home for a private wine tasting event to help them select new wines for C class (hint, hint for any SAS lurkers).

My guess is that these events are really not a huge effort for Eurobonuys and I would like to see them continue this effort. However, these events are quite separate from product and catering enhancements...which are needed, but not Eurobonus domain.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
The thing is, anyone can go to Gröna Lund at any time. It is dirt cheap and even free for kids and seniors. There is no 'event' or exclusivity factor to it. If you have children in the age category where theme parks are appealing and you live in/close to Stockholm, you'll end up there either way. If it takes a SK promotion that would almost be concerning.

I'd like to see an event that caters to the age and spending levels of the average Diamond or higher tier, with relevant people from SK present.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:04 am
Original Poster

I'd like to see an event that caters to the age and spending levels of the average Diamond or higher tier, with relevant people from SK present.
I guess it is hard to know the average spend for a Diamond, especially if they are getting status mostly through work travel. The Diamonds that I know are by no means wealthy and don't really travel for leisure. However, it should be no problem to create a more exclusive event and just offer fewer tickets, or offer then at a higher price.

Your last few words might be the most interesting. The presence of SAS staff at the Gröna Lund event was minimal in general. It would be nice to have more interaction with the upper management and those that can drive change. It would be nice to have some interaction with SAS at a higher level. I think we start to experience some positives from SAS now (new cabins, planes and routes) and it would be nice to help take part pushing them farther in the right direction. I know that Oliver2002 has been involved in some interesting dialog/events with LH management. Perhaps we can get his wife to force him to move to Scandinavia and become an active SAS flyer
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by livious
I know that Oliver2002 has been involved in some interesting dialog/events with LH management. Perhaps we can get his wife to force him to move to Scandinavia and become an active SAS flyer
The SAS/EB folks are pretty accessible, Björnström and HerrO organised various meets for the respective FT knockoffs in the past, FT had Dos with them too.

All it takes is for someone to be a bit engaged and not too proud to beg... @:-)
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The SAS/EB folks are pretty accessible, Björnström and HerrO organised various meets for the respective FT knockoffs in the past, FT had Dos with them too.

All it takes is for someone to be a bit engaged and not too proud to beg... @:-)
No comment on getting the wife to make you move to Scandinavia
I am not too aware of what was done in the past with SAS, but I guess most of the activities will be handled by those at BC.se. I have enough trouble keeping up with Flyertalk, much less following a site in Swedish as well. I tried that in German without much success
Old Oct 18, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by livious
Hopefully something is coming. I believe that they did have a similar offer this summer, only to Tivoli instead of Gröna Lund. As I recall, SAS prefers to ignore their Finnish customers as opposed to the Danes
Finns don't own SAS. It's Scandinavian Airlines, after all, not Nordic Airlines.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002

I can copy that. tommy777 and I have been having meetings with them as well some years back. I have met with them in Copenhagen as well. They actyually do listen.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
They actyually do listen.
Do they also act?

We've definitely seen improvements all across the board the past year, though there are certain problems which have been raised countless times and have yet to be resolved (food, priority boarding, priority deboarding, priority luggage at hubs etc.).
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Usually they listen, but also tell you what restraints they operate within. Food is a cost factor, priority luggage is SLAs with ground handling in outstations and in ARN/CPH.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:49 am

Do they also act?

We've definitely seen improvements all across the board the past year, though there are certain problems which have been raised countless times and have yet to be resolved (food, priority boarding, priority deboarding, priority luggage at hubs etc.).
They do listen. Back then some of the issues we raised was EB earnings on not so cheap fares (W class IIRC), Priority Bagage, level above gold, personal greeting and upgrades to most frequent travellers. Some of these have been in addressed one way or the other - while some have not. Level above gold was the one that was acted on relatively fast with EBG* - and some years later with Diamond (then we can discuss the benefits, etc). Others are still a mixed bag (e.g. bagage). My sense is that they really would like to listen, if you engage constructively - and they would also like to act. But then reality hits in terms of financing the elements (does it make business sense), IT systems, etc.

And as I do with my customers I listen, and act where it makes business sense

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.