Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-route moves to CPH

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
HKG-route moves to CPH

From W19 the HKG-route will move from ARN til CPH.

The CPH-HKG schedule looks overall better than ARN-HKG. It will be five times weekly.

SK 965 CPH-HKG ..34567 20:55 14:45+1
SK 966 HKG-CPH .2..567 01:20 06:20
SK 966 HKG-CPH 1……01:35 06:35

Edit: W19 may be imprecise. First CPH departure will be
28-okt-18.

Last edited by Tango Alpha; Jun 14, 2018 at 6:20 am
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Interesting move. The reason can't really be ARN not being able to accommodate the changed departure and arrival times.

Are they worried about Cathay flying to Copenhagen this summer? Or just the route not working well out of Arlanda?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:26 am
AHO

The aircraft will be on ground at HKG longer time instead of flying (today's ARN-HKG aircraft leaves from HKG in about two hours).
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
The newly imposed Swedish tax on air travel might also play a role here.

Interesting that they keep the a/c on the ground that long but good timing for business travel. They must be confident about a very high yield to justify this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:50 am
AHO

Originally Posted by BHIL
The newly imposed Swedish tax on air travel might also play a role here.
Well, the ticket prices of Stockholm-Hong Kong R/T (at least in cheap SAS Go) were sometimes very cheap.
So, I dare to say, it was more about the profitability than the new Swedish tax itself.

The ticket price of Copenhagen-somewhere R/T is often more expensive than the ticket price of Stockholm-somewhere R/T.
So it hopefully increase profitability of Copenhagen-Hong Kong route than Stockholm-Hong Kong route.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:07 am

I guess it is easier to get customers from UK and Germany... I know a lot of German people on their way to China who happily connect through CPH but do not want to go all the way up to Stockholm and then rather go to FRA, MUC or ZRH.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:14 am

Fantastic news - and much better schedule.

What will happen to the LAX route ?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
For Germans connecting through ARN rather than CPH shouldn't make much difference. The flight to ARN is a bit longer but ARN-China is shorter.

As a Dane, this is very good news. Also the revised depart. times are great (to compete directly with the CX flight, however, CX departs CPH in the early afternoon)- Let us hope the very competitive SK HKG fares will still be available from CPH.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:53 am

Massive improvement on the timings, now it can actually be used for business.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
For Germans connecting through ARN rather than CPH shouldn't make much difference. The flight to ARN is a bit longer but ARN-China is shorter.
True, but don't underestimate the perceived distance... people do not calculate the right way. For them the way to China is loooooooong, either way. Copenhagen or FRA are closer to HAJ/HAM than ARN, so the trip is shorter... Makes no sense, but I have heard that sooo many times.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:28 am

I think this is just an operational move: from CPH can SAS use their A340-300's with a bigger Business cabin. ARN only hosts SAS A330's.

This move cleary points out that SAS A350's from next year will be stationed at CPH.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
I'm too is puzzled by the 10 hour layover. Wasn’t that one of the factors that killed the BKK-SIN-route?A couple of hours earlier departure ex CPH and the plane could have returned the same day (much like PEK). There must be restraints, I can’t see.And how about the AY counterstrike on Asia? AFAIR ARN-HKG was labeled as such – and remained the only one.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SK AAR

As a Dane, this is very good news. Also the revised depart. times are great (to compete directly with the CX flight, however, CX departs CPH in the early afternoon)- Let us hope the very competitive SK HKG fares will still be available from CPH.
The CX flight is still marked as seasonal, last I looked there was no indication that it would operate FW19.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
I'm too is puzzled by the 10 hour layover. Wasn’t that one of the factors that killed the BKK-SIN-route?A couple of hours earlier departure ex CPH and the plane could have returned the same day (much like PEK). There must be restraints, I can’t see.And how about the AY counterstrike on Asia? AFAIR ARN-HKG was labeled as such – and remained the only one.
I think Singapore was killed as the tag on was too expensive to operate, and in the second part Bangkok offered to weak yield. Part of that equation was also the extra costs of parking the plane about the same number of hours as now in Hong Kong.

I assume they did the math. But sometimes that is not always the case even in fairly big companies.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:46 pm
AHO

Originally Posted by fassy
True, but don't underestimate the perceived distance... people do not calculate the right way. For them the way to China is loooooooong, either way. Copenhagen or FRA are closer to HAJ/HAM than ARN, so the trip is shorter... Makes no sense, but I have heard that sooo many times.
Yeah, some people think flying via Dubai or Doha to Asia is shorter than via other European hub.
Great Circle Mapper

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I think Singapore was killed as the tag on was too expensive to operate, and in the second part Bangkok offered to weak yield. Part of that equation was also the extra costs of parking the plane about the same number of hours as now in Hong Kong.

I assume they did the math. But sometimes that is not always the case even in fairly big companies.
Both Lufthansa and SWISS operate their Hong Kong routes in similar way as SAS will do.
They also park their aircraft on Hong Kong, rather than flying to other destination during the 8-10 hours layover time in Hong Kong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.