Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Has SAS given up on the Gold lounge in CPH?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has SAS given up on the Gold lounge in CPH?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Originally Posted by aulrik
The SK Gold lounge at CPH has "always" been pretty basic, but I agree it has gotten even worse over the last year. The food offering is pretty much just lousy
Who is reading in 2018? 🤣 I'm in the lounge right now. Sad!!! I was expecting something exceptional from the Gold Lounge in SK's largest hub. I guess I'm too spoiled with what AY does with their lounges (especially non-Schengen) in Helsinki. Not a single newspaper in the lounge and only one magazine in English. Food is very basic and the overall feel is a little depressing, like in a run-down third party lounge. Would suck to be business class flyer and a holder of the highest FF tier with some * airline and end up here.
sarcastix and zeer0 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by Alec84
Who is reading in 2018? 🤣 I'm in the lounge right now. Sad!!! I was expecting something exceptional from the Gold Lounge in SK's largest hub. I guess I'm too spoiled with what AY does with their lounges (especially non-Schengen) in Helsinki. Not a single newspaper in the lounge and only one magazine in English. Food is very basic and the overall feel is a little depressing, like in a run-down third party lounge. Would suck to be business class flyer and a holder of the highest FF tier with some * airline and end up here.
Yes, you are too spoiled (go to ADD and check back with us about CPH). The SK gold lounge at CPH is not fantastic, but it is definitely at least mid-range. Given the *A alternatives at CPH being "pay for your food and listen to the crowd" it is better than nothing. CPH is due for a facelift in the coming year. Let's hope SK gets it right. They have never done that before, but maybe now...
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by JR67
CPH is due for a facelift in the coming year. Let's hope SK gets it right. They have never done that before, but maybe now...
Well, I have no complaints about the updated lounge style in ARN, GOT or OSL. Not my personal taste but sufficient seating and power outlets. So, all well. Biggest issue is finding anything edible and at least a decent drink. The beer from tap is just horrible, the wine poor, the softdrinks from the tap stale and just ... sweet...
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by fassy
Well, I have no complaints about the updated lounge style in ARN, GOT or OSL. Not my personal taste but sufficient seating and power outlets. So, all well. Biggest issue is finding anything edible and at least a decent drink. The beer from tap is just horrible, the wine poor, the softdrinks from the tap stale and just ... sweet...
So.... apart from seats and power outlets... ;-)
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JR67
Yes, you are too spoiled (go to ADD and check back with us about CPH). The SK gold lounge at CPH is not fantastic, but it is definitely at least mid-range. Given the *A alternatives at CPH being "pay for your food and listen to the crowd" it is better than nothing. CPH is due for a facelift in the coming year. Let's hope SK gets it right. They have never done that before, but maybe now...
A main reason that SK has been holding off doing anything with the CPH lounge is that they have been waiting to know what happens with the airport's expansion plans. So they know whether or not they will be moving gates and whether they will need a new lounge location.

I find the food offering in Oslo decent, I have not been to Arlanda in ages. But I can wonder why they can't bring the food in Copenhagen to the same level as Oslo.

In terms of comparing to the Finnair non Schengen premium lounge, indeed the food offerings from SK fall short indeed. But at least I have never arrived at the CPH lounge as number 20+ waiting for a seat, or been turned away due to the lounge being full. That is not unusual at peak hours in Helsinki.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I find the food offering in Oslo decent, I have not been to Arlanda in ages. But I can wonder why they can't bring the food in Copenhagen to the same level as Oslo.
OSL and ARN are identical FWIW, so its just a matter of updating the SLA with the caterer. I suspect their contract in CPH doesn't allow it.

SK totally missed the boat on getting the lounge space in the international departures section. The lounge space that Eventyr now has is pretty awesome. Sadly its now used by all competing airlines that fly into CPH. Expecting pax to use the SAS lounge and go thru immigration is terrible as you either sweat in long lines or reach the gate too early and wait in the holding pen.

Sadly that is also the case in ARN.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
OSL and ARN are identical FWIW, so its just a matter of updating the SLA with the caterer. I suspect their contract in CPH doesn't allow it.

SK totally missed the boat on getting the lounge space in the international departures section. The lounge space that Eventyr now has is pretty awesome. Sadly its now used by all competing airlines that fly into CPH. Expecting pax to use the SAS lounge and go thru immigration is terrible as you either sweat in long lines or reach the gate too early and wait in the holding pen.

I do wonder why SK did not pounce on that space, but I guess the airport maybe needed to be able to offer better lounge space to attract an A380 from Emirates. Which does seem to have been a prestige matter for CPH. One guess I do have is that SK was probably not offered this space.

(as a side note it can wonder even more why QR is still using the Aspire lounge, and not changing to Eventyr. An even worse option for the passengers)
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Agreed with all above posters. The CPH lounge is awful. Virtually no difference between J and *G section, except that the latter was emptier.

Horrendous food options, really outdated decor, lack of power ports, poor alcohol options. I could go on and on. Only redeeming part was the shower on the J floor, but that's expected of an international lounge.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The worst thing at ARN is the death march from the lounge to T5-F. You'd rarely spend more than 5 minutes queue'ing and the T5-F space is far 'spacier' than CPH.

While I agree, if CPH where to do a better job at reducing its immigration queues, it probably doesn't matter much following refurbishing the CPH lounge.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: A3*G
Now that SAS managed, unbelievably, to actually invest money to make the Gold lounge even worse, I'm looking for suggestions for alternatives.

To my first point:

SAS managed to replace the admittedly smallish, but rather charming working area in the Gold lounge with an only slightly larger, but anything but charming working area in a different location. They also managed to take out one of the few remaining assets of the lounge, the quiet area (they are allegedly going to put up another one, but that one can't possibly compete given its location).

Lufthansa managed to swap the Gold and the C lounges at TXL some ten years ago - surely, if they could do it, SAS can do it as well rather than messing up things with the Gold lounge even further? And/or reallocate some lounge space between C and Gold?

To my second point:

Travelling within Schengen, have PP (free lounge access). So I guess my options are the SAS C lounge and the two Schengen PP lounges. Any suggestions? Have not tried the SAS C lounge before b/c the last time I was there, their tap wine was positively undrinkable.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ObserverA3
Now that SAS managed, unbelievably, to actually invest money to make the Gold lounge even worse, I'm looking for suggestions for alternatives.

To my first point:

SAS managed to replace the admittedly smallish, but rather charming working area in the Gold lounge with an only slightly larger, but anything but charming working area in a different location. They also managed to take out one of the few remaining assets of the lounge, the quiet area (they are allegedly going to put up another one, but that one can't possibly compete given its location).

Lufthansa managed to swap the Gold and the C lounges at TXL some ten years ago - surely, if they could do it, SAS can do it as well rather than messing up things with the Gold lounge even further? And/or reallocate some lounge space between C and Gold?

To my second point:

Travelling within Schengen, have PP (free lounge access). So I guess my options are the SAS C lounge and the two Schengen PP lounges. Any suggestions? Have not tried the SAS C lounge before b/c the last time I was there, their tap wine was positively undrinkable.
I am anticipating that SAS will eventually surrender the use of some of its current lounge space as lounge space for SAS/Star premium customers and let the space be converted in substantial part. The airline is not out of cost-cutting mode, and the airport owner/operator has only upped its greedy level for ever more retail/retail-space revenue at the airport.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The two PP lounges in shengen are not better than SAS...
gentoo and zeer0 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
We are now talking ARN, right? The CPH Gold lounge is in a mess (under reconstruction), which does not seem to reflect what ObserverA3 is saying. How would you know the layout of the lounge after the reconstruction?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: A3*G
Wait and see, and then we'll all know if my sources are any good .
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
Originally Posted by SK2751
We are now talking ARN, right? The CPH Gold lounge is in a mess (under reconstruction), which does not seem to reflect what ObserverA3 is saying. How would you know the layout of the lounge after the reconstruction?
The new working area looks pretty permanent (it replaced the quiet area). More desks are great, but I really liked the natural light in the previous location.

I'm curious what the lounge will look like after everything is finished. Hoping for a separate area for Diamonds...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.