Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Go Light [FAQ & Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Go Light [FAQ & Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
And the society that does not need to travel with 6 pairs of shoes ...
Gnopps likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I so enjoy flying domestic in Japan, they can board a 500+ seat 777-300 in about 15 minutes as no one runs around with these ridiculous amounts of carry on. Even an international JAL flight on a 787 is only scheduled for boarding 25 minutes before departure, and it works well.

The power of no HBO fares and the airline providing good bagage handling
It's Japan - I feel that the people there are far more considerate and try not to bother people, plus most people use "TA-Q-BIN" for their stuffs and the price is a fraction of what FedEx/UPS charges in the US.

Some Americans I have seen have an idea that if they are seated in row 9, they think no one behind shall get out before them even though they are not ready to get out. I saw someone actually physically blocking the aisle just to let someone takes his time to pack his belongings and deplane.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I so enjoy flying domestic in Japan, they can board a 500+ seat 777-300 in about 15 minutes as no one runs around with these ridiculous amounts of carry on. Even an international JAL flight on a 787 is only scheduled for boarding 25 minutes before departure, and it works well.

The power of no HBO fares and the airline providing good bagage handling
Baggage theft by airline employees, baggage handlers, security screeners and customs seems to be less of a problem in Japan than in the US and many other parts of the world. Also, service levels in Japan are more consistent on average than they are in the US or Europe, and that means something when it comes to passenger willingness to check in baggage. And then there is the benefit of no HBO fares on the legacy majors there AFAIK. But a big one also is how reliably punctual people are to make baggage check cut-offs.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Baggage theft by airline employees, baggage handlers, security screeners and customs seems to be less of a problem in Japan than in the US and many other parts of the world. Also, service levels in Japan are more consistent on average than they are in the US or Europe, and that means something when it comes to passenger willingness to check in baggage. And then there is the benefit of no HBO fares on the legacy majors there AFAIK. But a big one also is how reliably punctual people are to make baggage check cut-offs.
As a real problem, bagage theft anywhere in the world is a much smaller problem than the perceived problem of it. Though Japan is probably the exception, as the perceived problem here is basically zero. Though humans being humans, it must also occur here.

A downside to all the wonders of flying in Japan is the price tag, we do fund the privileges.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Hello. Wondering if there are any recent data points on this.

My cabin bag size is within limits but I may be pushing the weight especially as there is no personal item allowance which I find a bit odd for a mainline airline as even most LCCs allow a personal item.

I’ll be flying MAN-OSL-ARN

Last edited by MaxFlyer; Mar 14, 2019 at 4:51 pm
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Hello. Wondering if there are any recent data points on this.

My cabin bag size is within limits but I may be pushing the weight especially as there is no personal item allowance which I find a bit odd for a mainline airline as even most LCCs allow a personal item.

I’ll be flying MAN-OSL-ARN
SK is generally fine with bag of any reasonable size + personal item like backpack, purse, etc. On a few domestic hops where there is completely full plane they might ask passengers to leave large luggage outside of cabin and load it together with checked luggage. Just for reference, are you flying SAS or SAS Ireland for the MAN-OSL leg?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Superrman
SK is generally fine with bag of any reasonable size + personal item like backpack, purse, etc. On a few domestic hops where there is completely full plane they might ask passengers to leave large luggage outside of cabin and load it together with checked luggage. Just for reference, are you flying SAS or SAS Ireland for the MAN-OSL leg?
SAS
Go Light ticket
Planes are B737 and A320
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If the flight is full/almost full gate agents will make announcement at the gate for pax to gate-check their (hand)luggage - voluntarily and without charge of course. Just hand over your luggage at the gate and let the gate agents tag the bag to final destination and put it in the hold - then there will be no issues with weight, no space in overhead bins etc
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
SAS allows a personal item, check the website.

Last year, (some of) the flights from LHR to CPH were chartered, and every time I flew on one of those, all roll-aboards were weighed at the gate, and any over 8 kg had to be checked (or possibly repacked). They never stopped me with my backpack.

My experience with this is just from LHR.

- DanishFlyer
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by DanishFlyer
SAS allows a personal item, check the website.

Last year, (some of) the flights from LHR to CPH were chartered, and every time I flew on one of those, all roll-aboards were weighed at the gate, and any over 8 kg had to be checked (or possibly repacked). They never stopped me with my backpack.

My experience with this is just from LHR.

- DanishFlyer
My experience also from LHR (twice): All priority passengers starting with business, pandion and diamonds had their cabin baggage weighed at the gate and taken away if over 8kg - LOTS of arguments and shouting with a very high paying passenger group - bad business strategy as I see it. Have not experienced it anywhere else....
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GreatDane
My experience also from LHR (twice): All priority passengers starting with business, pandion and diamonds had their cabin baggage weighed at the gate and taken away if over 8kg - LOTS of arguments and shouting with a very high paying passenger group - bad business strategy as I see it. Have not experienced it anywhere else....
While I generally agree it is probably not the best way to go around it, the biggest offenders in cabin baggage weight and size is usually the top tier frequent fliers And there is nothing in the benefits allowing them extra allowance.

What mostly annoys me is that they start with the first boarding groups of elites, but towards the end when they need to get boarding completed anything goes in the name of speed.. Don't start and finish with the elites, just because they board first, if they start with the elites, apply equally for all. Or if apply randomly, skip the elites.

But to be honest, they should really just go for size and count Moving an 8.5 kg bag to the hold gains nothing much but hassle.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:49 pm
Suspended

I have a choice of flying SAS or BA from LHR to Scandinavia. This baggage weighing heavy handedness is also another reason why I try to avoid SAS on flights out of LHR, and even more so avoid SAS when it comes to flying to CPH or OSL from LHR. The baggage wait time on arrival, especially at CPH, doesn’t work for me.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:55 am

Well that certainly makes sense - except a few years ago BA also weighed and measured carry-on ex-CPH - even in C-class - but I haven't experienced them doing it recently. For Y-class for sure - but not in C.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I've never seen this happen to F, C or *G passengers at LHR but it is normal for all economy passengers right across T2 - presumably it's one of the things *A have set as a standard for the ground handling agencies.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Well that certainly makes sense - except a few years ago BA also weighed and measured carry-on ex-CPH - even in C-class - but I haven't experienced them doing it recently. For Y-class for sure - but not in C.
How many years ago was that frequently the case with BA@CPH?

I am curious because BA CPH-LHR has been one of my most flown routes and I can’t recall even two occasions in any given year where BA ever asked to measure my cabin baggage weight with the very same cabin baggage of mine that SK@LHR has asked to weigh more times in a month than BA@CPH has asked me in a lifetime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.